Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What new habits are you trying to build?

I really appreciate those who have shared. There are a lot of good habits in here that I should be building but hadn't thought of, such as appreciating my new body, wrinkles and sags and all. I find myself standing in front of a mirror--and my eyes go straight to the "faulty" parts of me, not the great curves I have gotten back, not my much slimmer thighs and my butt which is still round but so much smaller. Rather I see the fat rolls on my stomach, my sagging tummy, the overhang in my thighs--why oh why do we do this to ourselves? telling ourselves we are beautiful. Another good habit to learn.

Sigh*** this is definitely something I gotta work on...my closest friends all tell me how good I look, but all I see is the bad things still. Soooo, yes, I will work on this as well

Interesting topic!

My new habits:

1. Drinking in major moderation

I am used to guzzling Water. Growing up as a jock, I would drink an entire water bottle without stopping for air. I LOVE good quality Water. That's the hardest thing so far.

2. Tiny bites please!

They say to eat a bite the size of a fingernail. I can stop at the right portion but I'm having a hard time not taking a regular bite.

3. Religously taking my supplements

I am on a lot of meds so I don't like to add Vitamins. Now I have no choice. I should have been all along, but when you take 13 pills a night and 5 a morning, it's pretty irritating to add on to that. So far I've been good though.

4. Slowing down

I'm a type-A to the letter. I am also my own boss. So I tend to eat lunch while I work (I'm a web designer among other things). So sitting down at a table and eating with no book or tv or anything, that's my biggest goal of all.

Interesting topic!

My new habits:

1. Drinking in major moderation

I am used to guzzling Water. Growing up as a jock, I would drink an entire Water bottle without stopping for air. I LOVE good quality water. That's the hardest thing so far.

2. Tiny bites please!

They say to eat a bite the size of a fingernail. I can stop at the right portion but I'm having a hard time not taking a regular bite.

3. Religously taking my supplements

I am on a lot of meds so I don't like to add Vitamins. Now I have no choice. I should have been all along, but when you take 13 pills a night and 5 a morning, it's pretty irritating to add on to that. So far I've been good though.

4. Slowing down

I'm a type-A to the letter. I am also my own boss. So I tend to eat lunch while I work (I'm a web designer among other things). So sitting down at a table and eating with no book or tv or anything, that's my biggest goal of all.

Thank you for a beautiful foundational question.

Right now

1. Sipping all day long

2. 30 minutes of some kind of exercise daily (walking is all I can do now)

Come Monday I should be on full liquids so I will try to work on no Water 30 min prior and 30 min after the meal.

Seriously though - great question.

You know how they always tell us the surgery was on our stomach, not our brains? And that the first six-nine months are the perfect times to build good habits that set the foundation for later, when your sleeve relaxes and you can eat more?

I'm curious to know what new habits you are working on to help you into a new lifestyle, or for the vets, the habits that have stood them in good stead over the months and years.

For my husband and me, here's a starting list:

1. No saying "just this once" six times a week.

2. Not bringing food into the house that I shouldn't be putting into my body.

3. Trying to move about during the day instead of sitting at my desk for 8 straight hours caught up in work.

4. Not eating after 8 pm.

5. Drinking constantly

6. Weighing daily

7. Entering food into MFP with no excuses allowed.

How about you?

Edited by bearman99

~The first one that really made a difference was looking at this process as a health process, not a looks process! When I made that change, it put everything else in perspective. So now, lots of the things I am working on have to do with that. Some I have already made changes in...like:

I think if I could embrace this wholeheartedly, it would increase my feelings of success. I was only steps away from contracting several "lifestyle diseases" and I'm sure I've reduced my propensity for those. Unlike my husband however, who was able to come off the meds and see visible success in that regard, prevention is less visible and as a result, I think I downplay that achievement in my head sometimes.

@LouiseC I just spent 3 weeks in New Zealand and I have to agree about the quality of the beef (although, I had a hard time picking meat when there was so much superior seafood available). As hard as it is to "eat healthy" when traveling, I have to say that a huge advantage in most of my travel being outside the US is the availability of organic and non-GMO foods. And I love getting grass-fed (you're right--that's the norm and what is available outside the US). I saw that you live in Auckland and I have to give a shout out to you guys because that's where I discovered Lush and I just can't say enough good things about that place. BTW, after Auckland I had to be in Wellington and then Christchurch. Being a Texan, distances don't bother me so I drove. Aside from the fact that your speed limit is just ridiculous (which I explained to the nice officer who pulled me over), I have to say that I am in awe of the variety in your terrain. Here we say that if you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes. In NZ, you can rightfully say that if you're getting tired of this beautiful view, wait a few KM, there's another one around the corner. Now all you need is to up the speed limit to 130! ;-)

That was such a lovely post! I am glad you enjoyed your time here and agree on the speed limit, though our roads are not the best and our road toll is shockingly high. I have been to Texas (Houston) and absolutely loved my time there though it is so very different to home.

I love the lush products, though I discovered them in London!

I too discovered Lush in London in a train station somewhere. I was an avid devotee until I realized the bar shampoos, which I still adore, make your hair color run faster than a cheetah. After spending hours in a chair to get my jet black hair lightened to a brown, I can't take that risk :(

But rewarding with things other than food is a big one.

I'm interested to see how many of us said "no late night snacking" as a habit we're trying to break. Wonder why so many of us struggle with that?

You know how they always tell us the surgery was on our stomach, not our brains? And that the first six-nine months are the perfect times to build good habits that set the foundation for later, when your sleeve relaxes and you can eat more?

I'm curious to know what new habits you are working on to help you into a new lifestyle, or for the vets, the habits that have stood them in good stead over the months and years.

For my husband and me, here's a starting list:

1. No saying "just this once" six times a week.

2. Not bringing food into the house that I shouldn't be putting into my body.

3. Trying to move about during the day instead of sitting at my desk for 8 straight hours caught up in work.

4. Not eating after 8 pm.

5. Drinking constantly

6. Weighing daily

7. Entering food into MFP with no excuses allowed.

How about you?

My New Years resolution (and this is the 1st year EVER that I've made what I think are silly resolution) is defintely #4. I think I get about 50% of my daily calories in bed watching tv after 8 pm. If I ban food from the bedroom I'm likely to lose the last 20 lbs I have!

I'm interested to see how many of us said "no late night snacking" as a habit we're trying to break. Wonder why so many of us struggle with that?

I have seen a few people talk about planning for a late night snack. I think that's a great way to get around it. If we know we are going to snack at night, let's plan for it. Eat less for lunch or skip an afternoon snack. It makes sense to me that we'd be hungry at night if we eat at 6. By 1030 or 11 it's been a long time since we've eaten!

I have seen a few people talk about planning for a late night snack. I think that's a great way to get around it. If we know we are going to snack at night, let's plan for it. Eat less for lunch or skip an afternoon snack. It makes sense to me that we'd be hungry at night if we eat at 6. By 1030 or 11 it's been a long time since we've eaten!

I plan for the evening Snacks. I leave enough calories for Snacks usually a cup of popcorn and a Protein shake or a Protein pudding. But I am still trying to finish eating by 8 pm anyway.

I struggle with it for a couple of reasons. Thanks to other posts, I'm going to be picking up some OTC antacid to take in the evenings when it's 8pm and feel that empty hungry feeling. The other times I have a problem are when I've just arrived to/from a trip abroad and I'm jet lagged and awake at 2am. Pre-op me would have fed myself a high carb meal and passed out. Since this year alone I did 200K miles in 24 different countries, that habit alone would be enough to pack on some pounds on anyone so that one has HAD to go. I got home Sunday before Christmas so it was particularly bad this time since I was wide awake at 2am in a house that had a fair amount of Christmas goodies. On those occasions I got 2 slices of deli meat and wrapped it around 1/2 slice of cheese. One night I tried spicy picked okra. The best remedy seems to be to not have jet lag...

I struggle with it for a couple of reasons. Thanks to other posts, I'm going to be picking up some OTC antacid to take in the evenings when it's 8pm and feel that empty hungry feeling. The other times I have a problem are when I've just arrived to/from a trip abroad and I'm jet lagged and awake at 2am. Pre-op me would have fed myself a high carb meal and passed out. Since this year alone I did 200K miles in 24 different countries, that habit alone would be enough to pack on some pounds on anyone so that one has HAD to go. I got home Sunday before Christmas so it was particularly bad this time since I was wide awake at 2am in a house that had a fair amount of Christmas goodies. On those occasions I got 2 slices of deli meat and wrapped it around 1/2 slice of cheese. One night I tried spicy picked okra. The best remedy seems to be to not have jet lag...

Yeah I can see how that would suck. Being awake at 2 am, your body probably needs fuel anyway but add jet lag to it and it's gotta be tough.

Travel days are hard for me. Despite the bars and Jerky I carry around, I never feel like I had a proper "meal" and it's hard to know if I'm full or not on those days.

Good on you for eating meat and cheese rather than Christmas snacks!

Yeah I can see how that would suck. Being awake at 2 am, your body probably needs fuel anyway but add jet lag to it and it's gotta be tough.

Travel days are hard for me. Despite the bars and Jerky I carry around, I never feel like I had a proper "meal" and it's hard to know if I'm full or not on those days.

Good on you for eating meat and cheese rather than Christmas snacks!

The 2am problem was that my brain/stomach think it's noon. I track my intake on a 24 hour basis when I travel and then try to do a "soft reset" so I'm not eating too much/too little. Since my travel "days" can be anywhere from 24 to almost 48 hours long, I always take 2 shaker bottles with Protein powder pre-measured. The little one holds up 20 oz of Water and I put one scoop (24 grams) for Breakfast. I especially do this if I'm on British Air because their breakfasts are fruit smoothies and bacon sandwiches. In the large one, I put 2 scoops because I can drink on it and keep adding water--it will last me a lunch and afternoon snack time frame at least. I can only carry Jerky on the outward bound flight because most countries will not allow you to bring dried meat in. However, I also carry foil pouches of tuna because every one allows it (so far).