Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What new habits are you trying to build?

I'm about 10 weeks out and I'm still working in eating slower. I'm also working on getting in the habit of waking up early and going to the gym, no excuses and no telling myself I will go after work, because I know that won't happen. Finally, I'm really trying to build the habit of getting in enough Water. I find the only way I can do it is if I conscientiously make myself drink it or if I put sugar free Kool Aid or Crush in it. But I'd like to reduce my aspartame intake.

I'm about 10 weeks out and I'm still working in eating slower. I'm also working on getting in the habit of waking up early and going to the gym, no excuses and no telling myself I will go after work, because I know that won't happen. Finally, I'm really trying to build the habit of getting in enough Water. I find the only way I can do it is if I conscientiously make myself drink it or if I put sugar free Kool Aid or Crush in it. But I'd like to reduce my aspartame intake.

Cubs I just found an alternative that may work for you as well. A quick trip to Teavana, esp now when they have their boxed gifts on sale, led us to buying a variety of teas. They are what my husband calls "foo foo flavors" but I notice both he and my son are drinking them down just fine!

They are flavorful and don't need sugar, and I'm trying to drink one cup hot and one cup at room temperature or over ice to start drinking "flavored water" that doesn't have sugar in it. Worth a try I think.

5. Replacing bad habits with "me loving habits" --Lush bath products and skin creams etc.

I really like this one because a lot of times I've found that I reward myself with food. Like, "I've had a long day, I deserve some mac and cheese and a big steak" or "I'm gonna have a long day, let me treat myself to a tall, 5 pump vanilla latte with extra whipped cream and a pastry. Oh and maybe a cake pop for "later").

I saw a pin on Pintrest that said, "You are not a dog. Stop rewarding yourself with food."

So anyway, I like your #5 and it is something I want to add to my list

4. I didn't know the term nutritarian until Miss Mac mentioned it, but I'd say that is an accurate description of my new relationship with food. I've even put my foot down and insisted on organic produce. DH draws the line at grass-fed beef though. ;-)

I hadn't heard the term either but it could definitely describe my relationship with food now. Clean, fresh and good quality. If I am going to have treats, and I do have treats, then they are going to be good quality!

I am confused though, what's wrong with grass fed beef? I only get grass fed and have not ever been aware of issues or concerns.........

I like it. My husband doesn't like the taste--he finds it too gamey. The problem is that he likes meat the way his mom cooked it (think shoe leather) and I grew up preferring rare or braised meat (moist like post ops should be eating anyway). Grass-fed is leaner and it's very easy to overcook it and get that "liver" flavor. Go figure--my daughter doesn't like farm eggs because they are too "eggy". Oh, well. I won the organic battle at least and I've been able to sneak in free range chicken without anyone noticing.

My new habits:

* I make time to eat Breakfast every day

* I now always have good varied food in the house that I can eat - and no foods that I don't want to eat

* I try to eat like my naturally thin friends - food isn't on their minds all day every day. They view food as fuel, yes to be enjoyed but not at the centre of their world. So I don't weigh every day, I don't log my food intake or my calories - but I know exactly what my daily food intake should look like, what it should comprise of and that's what I aim for. Likewise, I know what my Fluid intake should look like and aim for that. I do not want food to control me any more, so I need to have control but on my terms...

* I eat mindfully - even on my own, I sit at a table, use a small plate, eat slowly and with no tv or distraction.

* I have stopped beating myself up. I don't need to keep reliving the past like I need to be punished for getting fat. I was fat, I have done something about it and whilst I need to be aware that putting weight on is a possibility, I don't intend to live in fear of that for the rest of my life. I just intend to live!!!

* I put my needs up there alongside my duties. I am important and if I don't believe that and look after me, who will???

These won't necessarily work for everyone but today I hit my goal after 8 months, so they work for me :-)))))

Edited by Indigo1991

Great thread. For me:

Exercise every day

Get in enough Protein

Eat breakfast

Eat slowly

Drink enough fluids

These won't necessarily work for everyone but today I hit my goal after 8 months, so they work for me :-)))))

Did you just sneak in there this little tidbit about having reached goal weight TODAY??! Yay Indigo!! congratulations!

Lol, thanks!!! Can't quite believe it myself :-)))) Have now reset my target by another 7 lbs (which isn't showing on my ticker) but think a lot of that will be achieved by cosmetics.

But I am thrilled to be here in 8 months, I LOVE my sleeve, lol

Okay, although I have definitely broken some of these a time or two...or twenty :( These are some of my new habits I have incorporated in my life:)

- MOVE more!! I absolutely LOVE the energy I have now and even if I cannot do aerobics, MMA, or something of that sort, I move:)

- I have a Protein drink (usually hot cocoa) EVERY morning. It makes me feel sooo much better to start my day with at least 12-15 grams of Protein

- I relentlessly read the protein count on every good label before I purchase anything.

- I have tried my darndest to eat S L O W! URGH I do not always accomplish this and I pay for it:( I'm a work in progress on this one. Good thing is that I take notice and make my children slow down as well - and they watch me to make sure I eat slow so I don't hurt :)

- I have stopped rewarding myself OR my family with food and have moved to either a new candle, book, movie, puzzle, bath goodies, etc... I never realized how often I used food as a reward!!

- I cook a lot more than I did before - and I love to cook, just didn't always have time or make time ...now I make myself cook more often so we don't eat fast food as much. I love it:)

Thanks GG for this thread! Makes me wanna come up with more good habits:)

What I am working on right now is learning to like myself as I go through each and every step of this journey...To say to myself this was a good thing to do and I will be much more active and healthier for it....

Also learning to forgive myself for allowing things to get so bad that I had to reach out for emergency help...

To be grateful for the wonderful miracle of WLS for those of us that have exhausted all other avenues...And count success not only by the scale but by the personal growth I have made within my self during this experience....

Each change we make makes us stronger in our resolve to go forward...To continuously check the brain and what it is trying to do to cause me to take risks and not follow through with exploring the real issues that got me to this place in my life....

These things are what I want to become habits so that I can stop going back and forth, and up and down over the same self destructive thinking....

I want to feel like I got this...Working on that one as well....

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

I like it. My husband doesn't like the taste--he finds it too gamey. The problem is that he likes meat the way his mom cooked it (think shoe leather) and I grew up preferring rare or braised meat (moist like post ops should be eating anyway). Grass-fed is leaner and it's very easy to overcook it and get that "liver" flavor. Go figure--my daughter doesn't like farm eggs because they are too "eggy". Oh, well. I won the organic battle at least and I've been able to sneak in free range chicken without anyone noticing.

Thanks for explaining, I was scratching my head. It is pretty much all we get here as most (almost all) beef here are grass fed, as are sheep. I have always considered it (NZ beef and lamb) to be a superior product as a consequence and certainly notice the difference when I eat beef in other countries where grass fed isn't the norm.

We only buy free range chicken, pork, fish and eggs though caged or barn raised or intensively farmed equivalents are available and cheaper. My family wouldn't eat anything that wasn't free range!

Thanks for explaining, I was scratching my head. It is pretty much all we get here as most (almost all) beef here are grass fed, as are sheep. I have always considered it (NZ beef and lamb) to be a superior product as a consequence and certainly notice the difference when I eat beef in other countries where grass fed isn't the norm.

We only buy free range chicken, pork, fish and eggs though caged or barn raised or intensively farmed equivalents are available and cheaper. My family wouldn't eat anything that wasn't free range!

@LouiseC

I just spent 3 weeks in New Zealand and I have to agree about the quality of the beef (although, I had a hard time picking meat when there was so much superior seafood available). As hard as it is to "eat healthy" when traveling, I have to say that a huge advantage in most of my travel being outside the US is the availability of organic and non-GMO foods. And I love getting grass-fed (you're right--that's the norm and what is available outside the US).

I saw that you live in Auckland and I have to give a shout out to you guys because that's where I discovered Lush and I just can't say enough good things about that place. BTW, after Auckland I had to be in Wellington and then Christchurch. Being a Texan, distances don't bother me so I drove. Aside from the fact that your speed limit is just ridiculous (which I explained to the nice officer who pulled me over), I have to say that I am in awe of the variety in your terrain. Here we say that if you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes. In NZ, you can rightfully say that if you're getting tired of this beautiful view, wait a few KM, there's another one around the corner. Now all you need is to up the speed limit to 130! ;-)

I really appreciate those who have shared. There are a lot of good habits in here that I should be building but hadn't thought of, such as appreciating my new body, wrinkles and sags and all.

I find myself standing in front of a mirror--and my eyes go straight to the "faulty" parts of me, not the great curves I have gotten back, not my much slimmer thighs and my butt which is still round but so much smaller. Rather I see the fat rolls on my stomach, my sagging tummy, the overhang in my thighs--why oh why do we do this to ourselves?

telling ourselves we are beautiful. Another good habit to learn.

I really appreciate those who have shared. There are a lot of good habits in here that I should be building but hadn't thought of, such as appreciating my new body, wrinkles and sags and all.

I find myself standing in front of a mirror--and my eyes go straight to the "faulty" parts of me, not the great curves I have gotten back, not my much slimmer thighs and my butt which is still round but so much smaller. Rather I see the fat rolls on my stomach, my sagging tummy, the overhang in my thighs--why oh why do we do this to ourselves?

telling ourselves we are beautiful. Another good habit to learn.

Exactly GG :)

@LouiseC I just spent 3 weeks in New Zealand and I have to agree about the quality of the beef (although, I had a hard time picking meat when there was so much superior seafood available). As hard as it is to "eat healthy" when traveling, I have to say that a huge advantage in most of my travel being outside the US is the availability of organic and non-GMO foods. And I love getting grass-fed (you're right--that's the norm and what is available outside the US). I saw that you live in Auckland and I have to give a shout out to you guys because that's where I discovered Lush and I just can't say enough good things about that place. BTW, after Auckland I had to be in Wellington and then Christchurch. Being a Texan, distances don't bother me so I drove. Aside from the fact that your speed limit is just ridiculous (which I explained to the nice officer who pulled me over), I have to say that I am in awe of the variety in your terrain. Here we say that if you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes. In NZ, you can rightfully say that if you're getting tired of this beautiful view, wait a few KM, there's another one around the corner. Now all you need is to up the speed limit to 130! ;-)

That was such a lovely post! I am glad you enjoyed your time here and agree on the speed limit, though our roads are not the best and our road toll is shockingly high. I have been to Texas (Houston) and absolutely loved my time there though it is so very different to home.

I love the lush products, though I discovered them in London!