Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Teachers And The Band

Hi everyone,

I have read many posts from teachers here and there. I am having my surgery 3 days before spring break, and will only be out 3 days (plus all of spring break to recoop). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had trouble post banding w/ being a teacher. I don't always have access to the potty, I teach middle school and have a 3 hour block. Are there any other special 'teacher' things that I need to worry about?

Thanks!

I am a teacher with a removed band. I wanted to get rebanded during Spring Break but it does not look like it will be happening so soon. I may wait until the summer. I teach preschoolers with disabilities and developmental delays...my biggest thing was my port. I have to pick up children and transfer them in/out of wheelchairs and other adaptive equiptment. It was a little sore at times but nothing major.

I'm a high school teacher...still preband...but am looking to be banded w/in two months if all goes well! I was hoping to get it done over spring break, but my psych eval couldn't get scheduled until March 30th! :welldoneclap:

My surgery will be on a Thursday, and I'm going to go back to work the following Monday.

I am an assistant principal at a large high school, and I think we educators actually have somewhat of an advantage because we stay so darn busy that it sorta takes your mind off what you can't eat! I had surgery on a Wednesday and tried to go back on a Monday, but I was miserable. I had very little pain from the surgery, but I felt horrible. I had a lot of swelling and couldn't even keep my saliva down. Each person is different. My students are awesome though......... they really have started to notice the weight loss, and they really make you feel good!! GOOD LUCK!

Hi-

I am a substitute teacher (elementary) and teach almost everyday. You're right, not getting "potty breaks" is my hardest part- particularly because I don't know my schedule from day to day. What I found, for the most part, I can plan on drinking one bottle of Water before lunch and then one in the afternoon. Then I have the rest of the evening to get in the remaining amount the my doc wants me to have. I always bring my lunch so that's not been an issue.

Good luck!:welldoneclap:

CLB

I teach 6th grade! It has been well over a year since I was banded and I dont recall there ever being a time that my band inconvenienced me on the job. I took off a week and still felt tired when I went back, but was able to handle it.

I'm in the middle of a Bachelor of Primary Education in Australia. I just did 3 weeks of teaching rounds.

actually I lost a bit of weight because of the work environment, you cant eat and drink coffee all day like you do in other jobs.

I had a bottle of Water nearby most of the time but because I wasnt downing six or seven cups of coffee during the day I didnt need the toilet more often than usual.

I'd think being a theatre nurse or similar would be more of a problem!

Hi everyone,

I have read many posts from teachers here and there. I am having my surgery 3 days before spring break, and will only be out 3 days (plus all of spring break to recoop). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had trouble post banding w/ being a teacher. I don't always have access to the potty, I teach middle school and have a 3 hour block. Are there any other special 'teacher' things that I need to worry about?

Thanks!

Hi There! I am a high school teacher--and like you I had my band done before Spring Break (3/8) and I am going back tomorrow 3/19. I will tell you that I am a little nervous about going back to school tomorrow-especially since it is a 6:30am-3:00pm day--I think I will probably miss the naps. I am going to try to take it easy for the first couple of days--probably teach from my desk (which will be hard for me--I am very animated--I teach Biology) I probably won't have a problem for RR breaks--because you will find out you go a lot less after surgery. I'll let you know this week how it goes :welldoneclap:

Take Care!

Denise

Hey Ladies,

I teach PK and was banded last summer. I had time to recuperate during summer months, but I had no problems in the classroom. I have to agree that being so busy does take your mind off being hungry. I have the convenience of having a potty in my room, so that does help. Other than that, no biggy. Best of luck.

I DO have something to mention in the problem department. The all-liquid diet can cause urgent diarrhea which is majorly inconvenient in the classroom...not to mention some pretty unpleasant noises in a bathroom shared with students. :painkiller: (sorry, had to use that smilie!)

I had forgotten this little problem until I had a rough adjustment period with my recent fill that kept me on all liquids for 2 weeks. :eek:

Hi I've been banded around 17 months and began teaching this year. As you can see from my stats I'm a slow loser...WELL...I've lost 5 kilos in 8 weeks! I think this is for a number of reasons. 1. teaching is quite physical 2. I am soooo careful with what I eat as I just CAN NOT risk something getting stuck and 3. as mentioned earlier no where near the tea/coffee and associated yummies as before. When I get home I'm just too tired to sit in front of the telly and eat cheesecake lol.

don't grab a quick bite of something "unknown" just before class.

I am a college teacher and on some days, I don't get a proper lunch break. One day I stuffed an uncertain food down between classes as I was starving. Whatever it was didn't want to go down and I had a major slime. I was also worried that I would be late to my class or might not be able to make it at all.

In the end, my slime resolved itself just before my class and all was well.

Lesson to me was to always carry a safe snack and to never eat anything before class that I wasn't sure would go down easily.

Hope that helps!

Kando

Hey Kity....my banding date is 3/28. Looks like we're both doing the 3 days before break and then off during the break for recoop. I planned things that way so I would do most of the liquid stage at home instead of at school. I know that by the time I go back to school I'll be moving onto mushies. So...here's to us, may banding be successful!

Thanks for all of your posts. My principal also had WLS so he is understanding, but the students...they are another story. I am still nervous about going back to work, I also teach at the local junior college Mon and Tues nights, so those are 12 hour days. But I will take it slow and easy. Thanks to everyone...keep in touch!