Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Does the Affordable Care Act (“Obamacare”) Affect You?

How Does the Affordable Care Act (“Obamacare”) Affect You?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. The health care you receive and how you pay for it are critical issues for you if you are an obese patient, a weight loss surgery patient, or a potential patient. How will you be affected when the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) come into effect in 2014?

• This is great for me! I could not afford health insurance before, but with the financial assistance and ban on denying coverage for pre-existing conditions, I will get insurance and may be able to get weight loss surgery for less!
    • Can’t complain! My new plan’s costs and coverage are similar to or better than they were before.
    • It is awful. I loved my plan before, and now have to switch surgeons or primary care doctors to comply with Obamacare.
    • It’s not the best for me personally because my premiums are increasing, but I think it will be good for the country.
    • It is good. Weight loss surgery was not covered under my previous plan, but it will be covered now.
    • I do not know if I like the changes or not. I can keep my doctor and other healthcare providers, but am not sure how the costs and services will change.
    • I do not like it. My premiums and co-pays increased and I am not going to get any benefits from the new system.
    • I don’t know, but I am going to going to find out as soon as possible by calling my employer, going to healthcare.gov or my own state’s health insurance exchange marketplace site, or calling my current insurance provider.

The health care you receive and how you pay for it are critical issues for you if you are an obese patient, a weight loss surgery patient, or a potential patient. How will you be affected when some provisions of the Affordable Care Act (“Obamacare”) come into effect in 2014?

Mark your answer and let us know how you feel in the conversation below! Also, feel free to ask questions and discuss Obamacare – we can all stand to learn something!

I saw a patient today who is losing insurance through her husbands employer and her employer only offers catastrophic illness coverage. She has 2 major comorbidities that her insurance won't touch. Her deductible is $4000 and basically they only cover if she gets run over or has a stroke or heart attack or gets cancer. It's insane. Being middle class sucks sometimes.

I just signed up for a new health insurance plan on the New York state health exchange. I'm saving over $300 per month. Have a $0 deductible (I had a $2000 deductible previously). My new plan includes full dental and vision coverage (which I never had previously). My new co-pays are almost non-existent (I had high co-pays previously). All in all I have much better coverage for a lot less than I was previously receiving. The only caveat with my new plan is that I can't go out of their network. They offer zip, zero, zilch if I go to a doc out of network. Thankfully every single doc I use happens to be a member of my new plan. I'm willing to stay in-network if this is the tradeoff. All in all, I'm very very pleased with the new Healthcare coverage!

I am wondering what insurance company you are signed up with, Alex. It sounds really good, but I am in Kansas and haven't seen anything like it. I would love to save money and get that kind of coverage. Thanks

It's a non-standard "Platinum Plus" plan from Metro Plus only available to NY'ers.

Have you checked out the plans available to you in Texas ? You can check them out at HealthCare.gov .

Because my employer is changing their plans there is a now a 100% coverage for bariatric surgery under the kaiser permanente platinum plan, which my employer gives a stipend for. Not only is my birth control free, but my surgery will only cost me the $250 copay. I absolutely love Obamacare. Look at all of the plans available and see what (If anything) your employer covers or will give a stipend to. I know that I'm very lucky, and who knows they could eliminate the bariatric benefit in 2015. But I'm very grateful today. I couldn't afford to have this surgery without it.

I am not happy with it. Our co pays and deductibles went up. Will be 35 a visit instead of 20$ :( And some birth control like depo shot not covered. So cost me 70$ :( thank goodness is every three months :(

I'm very happy with it, we have $0 copays, no deductibles, free prescriptions, 100 % of everything is covered, I'm not even paying a copay for my bariatric surgery. My father is a longshoreman and I am able to stay on his medical dental and vision until I'm 26. Vision is amazing, I got a 450$ pair of jimmy choo frames, an exam, and a year and a half worth of contacts for free. A root canal and crown- free. I'm so very thankful. I was kicked off dental when I turned 23 but thanks to Obama care I can now be on dental until 26 as well so my dental just kicked in just in time for a toothache.

What insurance do you have kpatnade90? Andwhere are you? I have never even heard of such coverage! Wonderful! I am going to have to self pay and am looking for legitimae lenders in case my bank turns me down.

I'm in Texas and our coverage on the exchange is not very good!

I'm trying to make sense of the exchange here in Kansas. It is all so confusing that I don't know which way to go. My husband and I have coverage at work and I am looking for my son. My state opted out of the medicaid part of this act.

Because my employer is changing their plans there is a now a 100% coverage for bariatric surgery under the kaiser permanente platinum plan, which my employer gives a stipend for. Not only is my birth control free, but my surgery will only cost me the $250 copay. I absolutely love Obamacare. Look at all of the plans available and see what (If anything) your employer covers or will give a stipend to. I know that I'm very lucky, and who knows they could eliminate the bariatric benefit in 2015. But I'm very grateful today. I couldn't afford to have this surgery without it.

that is AWESOME!!! Congrats!!!

Will Obama Care affect Tri-Care?

Will Obama Care affect Tri-Care?

Yes, snowdaisy, it does. Depends on your Tricare plan. Definitely contact and discuss your options if you haven't received a letter indicating your new coverage and deductible and cost amount.

For example, I am in TX, our premium went up $279 per month ADDITIONAL and our deductible went up to $12,000. Terrible trade-off. Each state is different, each plan is different. Not all plans are the same. Stay informed before making a decision. The number is on your card. :)

I'm sure if you live close enough to a military facility/hospital, you will be ok. We don't. We canceled and went a different way.

Hope this helps.