Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I see a lot of "What We are Doing BAD this Holiday Season". What are you doing GOOD?

This is my first holiday season post op and at only seven months out, not quite at VET status yet, so MUCH easier for me than some of you, but I would like to know what you are doing GOOD!

Me?

I have baked about 15 dozen Cookies and only indulged in one or two of each kind. I am making mini Cookies, so my indulgence is there, but nothing diet crushing. I am sending out most of cookies but what I am making to keep for guests are being wrapped and ready to go home with them istead of being out on the counter as a free for all.

For my holiday meal contributions, I am concentrating on high Protein, low carb things like quiche, (turkey) sausage balls, cheese crisps and veggies. I am making things I love, but also foods that are high in flavor without the bread that I would have cooked in years past.

I am making foods that I know that I can eat and that are healthier for my family. I feel very fortunate that I am not "mourning" foods nor do I feel guilt in not making "traditional" foods that we have always enjoyed and it amazes me that no one misses the 3-5 kinds of breads, biscuits, potatoes, stuffing, etc. that I usually make and instead are enjoying the new recipes that I am trying.

I know that as I get to closer to goal and can tolerate more foods than I could a few months ago so I am getting my family into the habit of eating more healthfully. As the mom and food provider of the family, it is up to me not only to feed myself more mindfully, but my two teenage girls and my husband as well.

We are also planning trips to our gym daily, walks with our pup, ways we can get out of our house (and therefore the kitchen) and do fun things together that are much more fun and healthy than eating. I am not a religious person, and I have come to the realization that our habit has been that of consumption, something that I am not proud of. I realize now that I am the one who is responsible for guiding my family towards a more healthy lifestyle and it is up to me to make sure they learn that food does not have to be the definition of love but that togetherness does.

This year I am not stressed about what I am cooking and how much "joy" I can produce on a plate. Instead, it's about playing a game, walking the mall, preparing for a race, walking, talking, being together and not necessarily around the table.

How awesome is that??

What are YOU doing good for you and your family?? Food is love for many of us. How are you choosing to express love in in place of food this year?

Erm, large amounts of alcohol? :blink:

<skulks off in fear for her life>

I dunno.. but I certainly won't be counting it against my calorie intake....

I don't do sweets and puddings. Therefore I consider it my 'treat'...

Bring on the champers...

(and quite a few pigs in blankets)

Oink oink :D

I just got home from a long business trip and I'm only 3 months out, so it's been easier for me to be "good". I'm sticking with my same eating plan and I carry a shaker bottle of Protein powder and bottled Water for days like yesterday when I'm caught out almost all day running errands. For the family gatherings, I've found some "naughty" recipes that my daughter and I can bake together and some healthy ones (crab stuffed mushrooms) so I have a treat with my turkey. I guess I'm really lucky. I haven't had any trouble turning away from the high-carb and high-fat holiday foods so far. At Thanksgiving I had a fork tines full of Italian wedding cake crumbs as a "taste" and was satisfied. I have't had any desire to add non-vegetable carbs, sweets or alcohol back in my life (yet). I'm enjoying it (and my new size 12s) but I know I'm going to have to be vigilant when my honeymoon period is over.

Good for u lipstick lady..engage In life rather than food stuff. Sounds like a great life style change. I am only 14 days out and I can tell food is certainly not a priority this year. I will have food bought in from a restaurant..so no cooking. No obsessing what to cook, and concentrating on games, watching good movies, etc. this year. I have two grand kids and since I have started this journey.. I am much more aware of what I feed them. You are doing a great service to your family. You r a success in more ways than one. !!!