Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December post ops

Hey Stacey, glad you're back. Sounds like you are building that emotional strength! The cooking thing is interesting. I've been cooking and baking up a storm since I'm off work these few weeks. It's funny - I think I enjoy it more now because I'm not tasting along the way or eating the final product. This means no more guilt from eating 3 cookies' worth of dough before eating 3 baked ones...or consuming a Pasta meal enough for two (I would make a whole box for the two of us). I enjoy cooking for my husband - providing him a good meal and keeping him nourished and happy. That may sound old school, but for once I have the time to cook, and I don't have to worry about stuffing my own face or what is Weight Watchers friendly, what am I going to eat, etc? It's kind of like school uniforms - it may be the same every day, but it takes the daily worry out of what to wear!

It's not that I don't love to cook and take care of my family. When I was working as a nurse working horrendous hours, I would still come home and cook for them. Actually my family has been pushing me for a couple years now to open my own restaurant. I don't cook by recipes or anything like that. I just get an idea in my head and put it together and I know when it is right by the way it smells. That is one of my problems. I don't want to smell food right now. I think it may be because of all the problems I had after my sleeve surgery in September with the constant GERD and aspirating the gastric acid every night. I had gotten so scared to eat or drink anything during that time from September to December I mainly ate plain flour tortillas plain cream of wheat and Water. Since the RNY revision on December 10th I have not had any more problems with that but I am still a little scared. I am old school too when it comes to taking care of my family. I know when I would tell my coworkers things that I would do for my family, they said that I was nuts and stuck in a different era. I said no that is actually how it should be but with everyone having to have two incomes to survive these days, it's the little things like that that have been forgotten. I resigned my nursing position in June because of all of my other medical issues. I was a walking time bomb. My health had gotten so bad I could barely make it through the day. So I am trying to tell myself to buck up girlie. Yes you have had three major surgeries since September and it takes time for your body to bounce back. Especially my body because as far as bouncing back it's already half flat because of my other medical issues. I am trying. I have just fell into this hole and I am trying to claw my way out. As I am reading other people's posts I see that I am not the only one. It is definitely a good thing to have this site. It does help a lot. Things you can say to other people besides your family that don't necessarily understand and you don't want to burden them with these things.

Also I have been on this kick of oranges and orange juice. It's like I can't get enough. Has anyone else had this issue? I have found that it really does help with the gas. Not helping it go away or anything like that but it sure does help with the smell. I posted about that under the gas forum. Lol

I am on a crystal light kick! I crave the lemonade version but it helps me get all of my Water in! I am tired of having to think of things to eat! It's not like you can eat a whole lot of anything so to me cooking is a waste!

Hey Jessie, my post-op instructions say, "sexual activity can be resumed as tolerated." lol, so clinical! But basically, just watch the pressure you put on your abdominal areas. Make sure to ask your doc! I had to go off the pill one month pre and post, and it's important to not get pregnant for a while, so you may want to ask about that too. (and good luck on Thursday!!).

Mkmb- thanks so much for your advice. I will remember to ask my surgeon but your reply kind of gives me a guideline. Thanks again!!

It's not that I don't love to cook and take care of my family. When I was working as a nurse working horrendous hours, I would still come home and cook for them. Actually my family has been pushing me for a couple years now to open my own restaurant. I don't cook by recipes or anything like that. I just get an idea in my head and put it together and I know when it is right by the way it smells. That is one of my problems. I don't want to smell food right now. I think it may be because of all the problems I had after my sleeve surgery in September with the constant GERD and aspirating the gastric acid every night. I had gotten so scared to eat or drink anything during that time from September to December I mainly ate plain flour tortillas plain cream of wheat and Water. Since the RNY revision on December 10th I have not had any more problems with that but I am still a little scared. I am old school too when it comes to taking care of my family. I know when I would tell my coworkers things that I would do for my family, they said that I was nuts and stuck in a different era. I said no that is actually how it should be but with everyone having to have two incomes to survive these days, it's the little things like that that have been forgotten. I resigned my nursing position in June because of all of my other medical issues. I was a walking time bomb. My health had gotten so bad I could barely make it through the day. So I am trying to tell myself to buck up girlie. Yes you have had three major surgeries since September and it takes time for your body to bounce back. Especially my body because as far as bouncing back it's already half flat because of my other medical issues. I am trying. I have just fell into this hole and I am trying to claw my way out. As I am reading other people's posts I see that I am not the only one. It is definitely a good thing to have this site. It does help a lot. Things you can say to other people besides your family that don't necessarily understand and you don't want to burden them with these things.

Redstacey: I don't think you're from a different era at all. If you are, then so am I. I'm a nurse as well and come home some nights to cook dinner. My husband works 2 jobs but some nights he cooks prior to leaving for his 2nd job. But it's just because I thoroughly enjoy cooking and cleaning. So, I think you and I have much in common. I wish you the best!!

I'm with you guys. My surgery was 12/31. I'm bored & hungry. I'm trying to stay positive but it's tough. It really helps me to look at before & after pics and to read NSV's. We'll get through this.

I had revision surgery bypass to bypass on 12/23/13 and I'm having a lot of left side pain. I can't bend over, sleep on my side, or ride in the car to long. I have no desire to eat or drink forcing myself. I am on soft foods now. I know I got to do better or there will be no wait loss.

I'm with you guys. My surgery was 12/31. I'm bored & hungry. I'm trying to stay positive but it's tough. It really helps me to look at before & after pics and to read NSV's. We'll get through this.

I had revision surgery bypass to bypass on 12/23/13 and I'm having a lot of left side pain. I can't bend over, sleep on my side, or ride in the car to long. I have no desire to eat or drink forcing myself. I am on soft foods now. I know I got to do better or there will be no wait loss.
I am in the same boat. Had surgery January 6. Lots of left side pain. Today was the first day I actually got in and out of bed by myself. If I stay up too long, I get nauseous from the pain. I'm struggling getting enough fluids in. Everything tastes bad. :(

I am on a crystal light kick! I crave the lemonade version but it helps me get all of my Water in! I am tired of having to think of things to eat! It's not like you can eat a whole lot of anything so to me cooking is a waste!

I've been adding lemon juice to my water to be able to drink it. Water tastes different. I'll try the crystal lite lemonade. Also, I'm so tired of the flavored Protein Drinks that I looked at Unjury's chicken flavored Protein Powder. Then I thought I'd mix my chicken broth with the GNC unflavored Protein powder I have. It is easier to take that the other flavored Protein Shakes. Thank heaven I go to soft foods tomorrow!

My doctor warned me that my taste and smell will change. Some food I used to like stinks. I can't find anything pleasurable yet.. but this helps our weight loss right? My husband (which is a yr out) says for us to be patient it will get better

Hopingnomeds, the Unjury chicken Soup flavored Protein is fantastic! I add half of a packet of sodium free chicken bouillon to each 8 ounces of Water and one scoop of powder. I drink it every night to help me wind down and get ready for bed.

Hopingnomeds, the Unjury chicken Soup flavored Protein is fantastic! I add half of a packet of sodium free chicken bouillon to each 8 ounces of Water and one scoop of powder. I drink it every night to help me wind down and get ready for bed.

Sounds good enough that I'll have to try it.

Sounds good enough that I'll have to try it.

I likey Unjury chicken soup!!

Yummy to my Tummy.

Soup is the last thing I want to eat! I would rather have my strawberry Protein Shake . I am going to have to look up some recipes to get my Protein in.

I'm sorry but those sweet flavored Protein Shakes make me gag now. It's like drinking Syrup. Sour and bitter things actually taste the best to me now. Isn't that strange? My NUT says it's our bodies trying to prevent dumping syndrome, by making sweet and fat foods taste bad.