Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

An atheist's pov vs a christain point of view

We need to bring up with Alex the rule about this. These are support groups for a certain point of view with VSG as the center, not necessarily a debate area as I read the introduction. This particular original post had both points of view, rather unique.

Should atheists keep to their own area and religious to their own?

That damn pot-stirring GG...she just had to be so blastedly intriguing by putting both points of view in a single post!! :P

I think it's not really "bringing up to Alex" worthy in the sense that it (the op) was unique in its putting both Christian and atheist points of view together. Which I'm going to assume opened the door to "debate"..

But yes in the future this is not the "convert an atheist" forum so I would expect to have a forum for them and a forum for us...

Edited by laura-ven

Speaking as a devout agnostic who acknowledges there is some plan/power greater than me, but not necessarily a traditional view of God, I have always loved this forum as a way for us to explore a shared POV with other agnostics and atheists without being subject to the same "pressure" of conversion that I get in my real life so I hope this forum continues to provide that space.

In the last two days, I have posted this as well as a "prayer we can all subscribe to". This one, as a clever use of words and poetry, and the other one to point out that we all wish for the same outcomes--peace, no war, caretaking, and prosperity for all.

No adult ever changed their view on religion or politics due to a post by a relative stranger on the internet, so I doubt this will be the place where we either "find" or "lose" God :)

IMHO it's okay for people to share both points of view in response to either of those posts--but proselytizing to those of a different belief system--either religious or agnostic--is not responding to the post, it's pushing an agenda, and that is I think where the rub lies.

For me I'm curious to hear what other people believe, I'm not at all open to being told I should believe what they do.

Agnostic and Atheist??

Agnostics claim either that it is not possible to have absolute or certain knowledge of God or gods; or, alternatively, that while individual certainty may be possible, they personally have no knowledge.

Atheists have a position that either affirms the nonexistence of gods or rejects theism. When defined more broadly, atheism is the absence of belief in deities, alternatively called nontheism. Although atheists are commonly assumed to be irreligious, some religions, such as Buddhism, have been characterized as atheistic because of their lack of belief in a personal god.

Never mind....I must have gotten out of the wrong side of the bed for the last few days...

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

I think it's not really "bringing up to Alex" worthy in the sense that it (the op) was unique in its putting both Christian and atheist points of view together. Which I'm going to assume opened the door to "debate"..

But yes in the future this is not the "convert an atheist" forum so I would expect to have a forum for them and a forum for us...

That's basically what I was thinking. The special interest support groups seem to be set up for people of a certain viewpoint or common situation to support each other in their WLS issues. Having those with differing views come in and argue about the foundation of the forums defeats their purpose.

The Lounge perhaps would be a better place for theological arguments.

I would like to add to this image.

"Being an advocate for civil rights, KKK marches, and GLBTQ parades/day is okay.

Being stripped and censored of our first amendment rights, and not allowed to voice our opinions is not okay."

Is this still the atheist/agnostic's forum? :P Sorry I'm being cheeky. But I will add another meme that I found to be super helpful.

What do you guys think about this?

There are people on this forum with a lot of clout..And there are people on this forum that when they speak it is gospel ( pardon the pun ). There are people on this forum that can shut down a thread so fast it can make your head spin with what they say because they are viewed as correct at all times and knowledgeable. I don't agree with; this forum not making changes in peoples lives by what is posted here....

Everyone is their own person and we can influence how others view topics or food, health and yes even religion...But should that be the case..Should we all follow a fluffy course here and only talk about the value of spinach.....

I am coming to the conclusion myself that I personally have gone to far on here by expressing my views and thoughts and what I have learned through this entire journey so far....

It is very difficult when you do express yourself and someone reads it, and feels the need to correct your thoughts....I thought when I joined this forum that experience would speak louder then words and that we were discussing the changes we all have to make...Not just a few peoples views......The changes we have made to get a grip on the real problem and that is the addiction to food....And why....

Never mind....I must have gotten out of the wrong side of the bed for the last few days...Go ahead and reply as you feel suits!

Personally, I always enjoy reading your posts, RJ. You have faced your many challenges with a great deal of grace & strength, and I admire you tremendously. IMHO, your experience us quite valuable to many of the members here, and I always appreciate you sharing it. :)

I would like to add to this image.

"Being an advocate for civil rights, KKK marches, and GLBTQ parades/day is okay.

Being stripped and censored of our first amendment rights, and not allowed to voice our opinions is not okay."

Is this still the atheist/agnostic's forum? :P Sorry I'm being cheeky. But I will add another meme that I found to be super helpful.

What do you guys think about this?

Did somebody strip you of your first amendment rights? Report you to the government? Throw you in jail for expressing your opinion? Prevent or restrict you from voicing your opinion? Not in this forum, they didn't.

There are people on this forum with a lot of clout..And there are people on this forum that when they speak it is gospel ( pardon the pun ). There are people on this forum that can shut down a thread so fast it can make your head spin with what they say because they are viewed as correct at all times and knowledgeable. I don't agree with; this forum not making changes in peoples lives by what is posted here....

Everyone is their own person and we can influence how others view topics or food, health and yes even religion...But should that be the case..Should we all follow a fluffy course here and only talk about the value of spinach.....

I am coming to the conclusion myself that I personally have gone to far on here by expressing my views and thoughts and what I have learned through this entire journey so far....

It is very difficult when you do express yourself and someone reads it, and feels the need to correct your thoughts....I thought when I joined this forum that experience would speak louder then words and that we were discussing the changes we all have to make...Not just a few peoples views......The changes we have made to get a grip on the real problem and that is the addiction to food....And why....

Never mind....I must have gotten out of the wrong side of the bed for the last few days...Go ahead and reply as you feel suits!

Personally, I always enjoy reading your posts, RJ. You have faced your many challenges with a great deal of grace & strength, and I admire you tremendously. IMHO, your experience us quite valuable to many of the members here, and I always appreciate you sharing it. :)

What she said. I didn't see what you said as negative at all, you were simply sharing your POV which we all enjoy. NO worries :)

What she said. I didn't see what you said as negative at all, you were simply sharing your POV which we all enjoy. NO worries :)

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

I would like to add to this image. "Being an advocate for civil rights, KKK marches, and GLBTQ parades/day is okay. Being stripped and censored of our first amendment rights, and not allowed to voice our opinions is not okay."

I don't think you or anybody else has been censored at all. But I do feel there are certain subforums dedicated to certain groups to discuss their commonalities. Amongst others, there is a religious forum to discuss your faith and devotion to god. And this is not it.

Just like men are asked to stay out of the powder room and women are asked to stay out of the mans room.