Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discussing a sleeve in Mexico with your general practitioner

I am considering getting a self pay gastric sleeve in Mexico in the near future. I haven't discussed this with anyone except my wife. How many of you that did self pay met with you family doctor before getting the sleeve done to discuss this? What type of things should I discuss with her before going? My insurance does not cover bariatric procedures and the US and it's so expensive to get it done here. I have done my research and I feel confident going to Mexico but I am nervous my doctor may try to talk me out of it.

If you are concerned your PCP may talk you out of it, then I would question the strength of you own resolve. That is not something I can address as only you know your history of battling weight.

I know I considered this my last ditch effort to gain any semblance of control over the way I abused food. I was self-pay, but did my surgery in Las Vegas (BABY!!) $10,400. When I talked to my PCP before, he merely asked me what my dieting history was and if I thought I had exhausted all other options. I felt I did and told him so. That was the end of it, but if he would have pursued me trying other routes, I would have ignored him as I feel I had pretty much tried it all.

If you feel you haven't tried it all, yet, then I would encourage you to try. VSG is a drastic procedure which is not reversible. For me, and my issues relating to food, it has been a perfect fit. I've been at goal for almost 2 years and haven't regretted it a bit.

I am confident I am making the right decision. I am turning 40 this year, I have a 4 year old and a 6 week old baby. I am a very active person and have always been into extreme sports but at 285lbs it is taking a toll on my body. I have lost and gained 30lbs so many times I lost count. In my late 20's I lost 50lbs and kept it off for two years until I broke my leg really bad skiing. I have had broken my feet multiple times, compound fractured my toes, ankle surgery and now my back is giving me issues. I am not getting any younger and I want to be healthy and active for my kids. I am not worried about my PCP talking me out of the surgery just the going to Mexico part. Who did your surgery in Vegas?

I was sleeved in Mexico 3 weeks ago, I chose Mexico because it was more cost efficient for me as well. Even with my insurance my out of pocket cost was going to be three times what I paid to go to Mexico for the same exact surgery. Being a mom of 3 it just wasnt feasible cost wise for my family.I know it is important to have a PCP who is supportive of your decision and is willing to see you post op if for lab, etc...Unfortunately when I approached my PCP her response was something along the lines of "You understand if you have complications when you get home NO surgeon will touch you and you cant still eat your way through a gastric sleeve" Wow, guess that answers the question if you support my decision. I am still in the process of finding a new doctor. I wish I had done it before surgery but I wasnt expecting that reation from her... ultimately it is important to know if your PCP is going to support you post-op.

I told my PCP about it and left no room for discussion to be honest. I said I was getting this procedure and I wondered if she could provide the after-care. She is a very cautious person and at first said she couldn't help etc., but has been so solicitous of us since then. My husband went to her for his check-in today and showed our picture. The doctor took it around the office and showed it to everyone and the office staff were streaming in to check it out after that.

She did try to open the conversation about not being able to sue someone in Mexico etc. but we had printed out the doctor's resume and it was hard for her to argue against a PERSON (Dr. Alvarez) rather than a concept (unknown doctor in Mexico). I spoke firmly and securely and didn't leave the door open to be argued against and she picked up those cues. Maybe that will workf or you as well?

Edited by gamergirl