Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Doctor Wants Me To Eat More!

I can't even reach 200 calories :( but I'm only 5 days out. That's normal right?

YES. At five days out, I was supposed to be only on Clear liquids. As long as you are staying hydrated, you're doing just fine. That and rest. Just focus on those two things. It will get better soon.

Well, I positively feel like a pig when I read the calories some of you are consuming daily. I was sleeved on July 31, 2013 and I can eat about 1200-1300 calories each day. I get in between 60-80 gams of Protein each day. My nut told me not to worry about carbs, she is more interested in the protein and calories. Since my initial weigh-in at my consult, I am down 70 pounds. I am very happy with my progress. The one thing that I wish could change is this darn hair thinning. Started about 6 weeks ago. Oh we'll, take the good with the bad. My food changes daily. I get bored eating the same thing for lunch and dinner. Breakfast is usually the same, but that is more about convenience. I was worried about increasing my calories, but I don't feel sluggish. In addition to getting in my protein, I have also introduced in cooked and raw veggies and fresh fruit. Thankfully no issues with any food. I am very lucky. Good luck to everyone on their journey.

Is it possible to count every single calorie? If I make tuna, little mayo (cause I do not like mayo), Mrs. Dash. Would I have to figure out the calories down to the seasoning? This is an example.

Is it possible to count every single calorie? If I make tuna, little mayo (cause I do not like mayo), Mrs. Dash. Would I have to figure out the calories down to the seasoning? This is an example.

I do or at least I try.

If I were estimating what I'm taking in I would probably tell you I was between 600 and 800. The truth is (because of pretty relentless counting/tracking) I know that I'm really pretty regularly right around 800.

I figure the weight loss at this point is what's key, and it is coming off steadily and I don't feel terribly deprived. So all good.

Honestly I think as long as we are all losing weight and eating Protein first it's all good. Sleeve capacity is going to vary for all of us as is speed of healing for that sleeve. My husband and I were sleeved the same day. He has always been able to eat 4 oz, I could do 2 oz. Now I can do 3 oz, he can still do 4 oz maybe a bit more. I'm sure shortly I'll be able to hold more, at that infamous 5-6 month mark when people feel the sleeve heal and relax.

So if you are a fast healer maybe you can hold more and therefore get more calories?

Th ask for the suggestions of nuts, oils etc. good ideas!

My frankenbelly is fickle. Some days I feel like I can eat 900 and today about 450. Just depends I guess. Some days I am hungry. Some days I am not...oh well. Loving this choice right now and so much less stressed about my weight

Wow. All of u eat so little calories. I'm not an avid counter (I use MPF about once a week just to keep a record) but I KNOW I get more than 1,000 a day. When I saw the dietitian a couple months ago, he flat out told me never to go under 1200 calories. Thats a little ridiculous to tell a 2 mths post op sleever who can't eat more than 3 oz at 1 sitting. I was his very first VSG (the VA hospital). He'd had RNY's before so I was his pet project for about a month. I got daily emails, voicemails, and snail mail on what Vitamins to get in, Protein requirements, calorie requirements, etc. I think thats all he did for a week - research the sleeve!

The days I count, I usually get between 1000-1100 a day. I know somedays I go over and some I go under. But not sure I could function on less than 800 a day. Maybe for a short amount of time but not forever, for sure. Right now I'm focussed on maintaining until after the holidays and then I'll work on the last 22 lbs I have left. Until then, I haven't gained (or lost for that matter) a lb in about 6 weeks. So I guess I've equalized and will need to cut somewhere to lose the last bit of weight. I know if I stop my nighttime snacking, that oughta do it!

Good luck! I think I might starve on that amount of food...

I too was told at my 3 month apt to up my calories to 1000. I can some days hit 900 but that's really working at it. It's not an easy thing to process in my head that I have to eat more calories to lose weight. But It's working. I cant get to 1000 right now even having pudding with lite whipping cream on top. Its satisfying my sweet craving somewhat! :(

These last week I've been fighting my (sweets) demon...... I mean I think about cake Cookies ect... a lot. Walking in to the store is HELL when I smell the bakery's fresh baked goods!! Gah

I too was told at my 3 month apt to up my calories to 1000. I can some days hit 900 but that's really working at it. It's not an easy thing to process in my head that I have to eat more calories to lose weight. But It's working. I cant get to 1000 right now even having pudding with lite whipping cream on top. Its satisfying my sweet craving somewhat! :(

These last week I've been fighting my (sweets) demon...... I mean I think about cake Cookies ect... a lot. Walking in to the store is HELL when I smell the bakery's fresh baked goods!! Gah

Omg I know what you mean!!!! That section with the fresh baked goods is to be avoided at all times! It's torture lol

Right!!! It just smells like heaven!!

tell me about it!! I am a bakery manager in a grocery store and having my surgery december 31st. i am hoping for a promotion where i will not actually be in the bakery every day but overseeing 20 of their bakerys. that way i wont be actually working in the bakery 8-10 hours a day!

tell me about it!! I am a bakery manager in a grocery store and having my surgery december 31st. i am hoping for a promotion where i will not actually be in the bakery every day but overseeing 20 of their bakerys. that way i wont be actually working in the bakery 8-10 hours a day!

I hope so for you! I feel your pain!

Hear Hear!! I hope so too!! Congrats on your up coming surgery!! :)

Well, I positively feel like a pig when I read the calories some of you are consuming daily. I was sleeved on July 31, 2013 and I can eat about 1200-1300 calories each day. I get in between 60-80 gams of Protein each day. My nut told me not to worry about carbs, she is more interested in the protein and calories. Since my initial weigh-in at my consult, I am down 70 pounds. I am very happy with my progress. The one thing that I wish could change is this darn hair thinning. Started about 6 weeks ago. Oh we'll, take the good with the bad. My food changes daily. I get bored eating the same thing for lunch and dinner. Breakfast is usually the same, but that is more about convenience. I was worried about increasing my calories, but I don't feel sluggish. In addition to getting in my protein, I have also introduced in cooked and raw veggies and fresh fruit. Thankfully no issues with any food. I am very lucky. Good luck to everyone on their journey.

I am right there with you. I was sleeved June 19 2013 and average about 1100-1200 cal a day. Those are the guidelines from my dr and I'm still losing. If I eat below 1000 I can feel pretty hungry. But some days I eat a lot less, it just depends.