Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February Surgeries

Hi zomgjj,

Wow that is early! I need to be there at 7am but I am quite a way away and then there is the London rush hour so I think that I will be leaving pretty early myself. I am so glad that you are feeling a bit better now.

Yes I am nervous too, though very reassured by others' posts. I think it just feels such a big thing to do and different people have different problems at different stages and I am thinking that I will have them all, which I won't! I suppose at this stage I just want it done so I know what i do have to deal with. It is certainly a hell of a thing to contemplate isn't it? I think if we weren't nervous and scared it would mean that we weren't taking it as seriously as we should be and just skipping over all the major adjustments and thinking of only the weight loss as a positive. I prefer to think that I am just planning ahead, trying to problem solve and being realistic. That is the brain side of things, the rest of me is not believing that logic a lot of the time.

Take care and we will in this all together

Claire

zomgij, glad you are doing better! Not long now! There are quite a lot of you on the 11th. Hoping we'll hear soon from the other 2 that went this week.

Today I get to try Protein Drink, yeah me! I'm having a vanilla Unjury with unsweetened almond milk. Tummy is liking and going down fine! Yesterday I only had 145 calories so really need to step that up. I also slept in my bed the whole night! I am still having a lot of upper back pain and I think it's from sitting so much and also not wearing a bra.

Claire do you live outside of London? I have a lot of family (in-laws) in Bournemouth.

I can't believe how fast time is flying and all of you are getting your surgeries. I started this thread thinking I would be one of you. Now most likely March. I just was told I don't have to do any diet before hand to shrink my liver. I think however I am going to take a cue from most of you and do it anyway. I have woken up the last four days so swollen and I think it's because I am not drinking enough Water so my body is telling itself to hold on to the little bit I do drink. Shame on me. Sometimes I question whether I am going to do this ok. I start on a plan and then things happen and I back away from my plan. I have no problem drinking my Protein Shake in the morning, I love it. Then I don't eat anything else except maybe fruit and an Atkins Protein shake for lunch. My problem then is I come home to my husband wh asks what I want for dinner or I have to stop at tne grocery store and of course by then I am starving and I pick out crap. My excuse...it's ok, I am doing this now because I know once I have surgery I can't have it because I'll dump if I do. Excuses aren't ok. I have to change my thininking and it is freaking hard. How did all of you who've had surgery get through this change before you had to do the required diet?

:lol: Hi everybody, I am back home in my own night gown and bed. Had surgery Tuesday and doing pretty good today. I know everyone has questions so here goes:

1. Admission went pretty fast, but long delays between pre-op to surgery, once in surgery was put under within 2 minutes. Woke up in a lot of pain in recovery, very nice nurse, tried very hard to keep on top of the pain. Room wasn't ready for 4 hours so Rosa made sure I was warm and I get very cold after surgery.

2. first 16 hours were very painful. Had morphine pump and pushed that thing as often as I could. Got very swollen from the gas injected to keep the stomach skin lifted off the organs and the amount of IV fluids given. Both of my hands were swollen. Got up to walk around the hall ways, shaky and weak but makes you feel stronger. I had a hiatal hernia repair which is a hole in the diaphragm next to the esophagus from the stomach fat pushing on the diaphragm, so the upper abdomen was very painful, also the left side is where the surgeon stands and works the instrument so that is hurting now. I had a ventral hernia previously and the scar tissue made the entry a little harder.

3. Later in the morning felt so good, foley out, walked easier, drinking broth (how do you make broth taste bad, love chamomile tea tasted wonderful. Got cranberry juice which I hate and diet lemonade was too sweet. called kitchen and was told they were all out of other diet drinks ??!!.

4. Someone decided the floors needed to be stripped and cleaned at 9:30 at night, by 10 to 10 I was exhausted, hurting and tired and wanted to sleep, called the nurses station and asked to talk to the night hospital supervisor and was told I had to speak to the charge nurse. 45 minutes later she came in and listened to my calm but teary complaint and told be that had been complaining for weeks that this should not be done at night on a surgery floor. She gave me the number to the supervisor and was very understanding, gave me a sleep kit and believe it or not I slept about 4 hours all totaled, of course had to have my heparin shots, compression stockings, and electric leg massagers which I actually love.

Need to take a break so will continue later. need a nap.

zomgij, glad you are doing better! Not long now! There are quite a lot of you on the 11th. Hoping we'll hear soon from the other 2 that went this week.

Today I get to try Protein drink, yeah me! I'm having a vanilla Unjury with unsweetened almond milk. Tummy is liking and going down fine! Yesterday I only had 145 calories so really need to step that up. I also slept in my bed the whole night! I am still having a lot of upper back pain and I think it's from sitting so much and also not wearing a bra.

Claire do you live outside of London? I have a lot of family (in-laws) in Bournemouth.

Hi Kim,

We live not far from Bournemouth (about an hour) and our neice used to live there so I know it fairly well. Hope the pain is improving a little for you and sleep well

Claire

I think the biggest benefit to the 2 week preop diet is so that you aren't quitting food cold turkey. With that being said, since you have some time, and no requirements for a liquid diet, just try to cut out one thing a week like coffee and soda or fried foods. I didn't follow my preop diet all that well and waking up to 1/4 of my stomach and liquids only was a shock. And I've done this before.

I am sorry you're getting bumped out until March but I hope you keep checking in here. I can't wait to see your progress.

Kimr,

It sounds like you are doing great with your recovery.

I haven't had a lot of pain but I've had terrible reflux. :(

My surgery went well and I'm heading home. Now I'm on the losers bench.

I think today the disappointment of not having my surgery Tuesday has finally set in. I felt the depression creeping but today, it has reared it's ugly head and I feel sad. Sad that I should be on my way to a better healthier me...and I'm on hold...just needed to vent...my family doesn't get it.

I think today the disappointment of not having my surgery Tuesday has finally set in. I felt the depression creeping but today, it has reared it's ugly head and I feel sad. Sad that I should be on my way to a better healthier me...and I'm on hold...just needed to vent...my family doesn't get it.

It happened for a good reason and I bet you will be on your way before you know it.

My surgery went well and I'm heading home. Now I'm on the losers bench.

Good luck!!

Hi,

Sally and tkauhi I am glad that you are home now and I hope that your next few days are manageable. Erin and Kim keep on getting stronger. Dreamingbig there was bound to be a bit of a reaction to it all, you psyche yourself up so much, well I know that I am trying to, and then it is all an anticlimax. How disappointing for you, just keep on posting on here, we are all hear for you and hope that you are soon feeling more positive.

Take care all of you, I am not sure where you all are but it is mid evening here.

Claire

Thanks Erin,

I do know..it's just...sad. I have an appointment on the 18th with another surgeon from the same group...we will see how this goes. I'm hopeful!

Had my surgery on the 3rd... so today is day 5..... i am not to sore actually! I am a little weak tho... i am also noticing that my pouch seems to hold more than the 4 ounces that is all it should hold. And i just dont feel full. Im discouraged :(

:lol: Hi everybody, I am back home in my own night gown and bed. Had surgery Tuesday and doing pretty good today. I know everyone has questions so here goes:

1. Admission went pretty fast, but long delays between pre-op to surgery, once in surgery was put under within 2 minutes. Woke up in a lot of pain in recovery, very nice nurse, tried very hard to keep on top of the pain. Room wasn't ready for 4 hours so Rosa made sure I was warm and I get very cold after surgery.

2. first 16 hours were very painful. Had morphine pump and pushed that thing as often as I could. Got very swollen from the gas injected to keep the stomach skin lifted off the organs and the amount of IV fluids given. Both of my hands were swollen. Got up to walk around the hall ways, shaky and weak but makes you feel stronger. I had a hiatal hernia repair which is a hole in the diaphragm next to the esophagus from the stomach fat pushing on the diaphragm, so the upper abdomen was very painful, also the left side is where the surgeon stands and works the instrument so that is hurting now. I had a ventral hernia previously and the scar tissue made the entry a little harder.

3. Later in the morning felt so good, foley out, walked easier, drinking broth (how do you make broth taste bad, love chamomile tea tasted wonderful. Got cranberry juice which I hate and diet lemonade was too sweet. called kitchen and was told they were all out of other diet drinks ??!!.

4. Someone decided the floors needed to be stripped and cleaned at 9:30 at night, by 10 to 10 I was exhausted, hurting and tired and wanted to sleep, called the nurses station and asked to talk to the night hospital supervisor and was told I had to speak to the charge nurse. 45 minutes later she came in and listened to my calm but teary complaint and told be that had been complaining for weeks that this should not be done at night on a surgery floor. She gave me the number to the supervisor and was very understanding, gave me a sleep kit and believe it or not I slept about 4 hours all totaled, of course had to have my heparin shots, compression stockings, and electric leg massagers which I actually love.

Need to take a break so will continue later. need a nap.

Glad Everything Worked Out For you. Welcome home. May you have a speedy recovery.