Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Day Checklist

Other than the Dr. recommended list, was there something you didn't have you wish you took/packed after surgery in the hospital?

I read my list which was very little information. I only know to wear lose comfy clothing, I may stay overnight, no ice, no gum or mints, and chapstick for dry lips.

What OTC meds can I take afterwards and should all meds be liquid form, never pill after?

I did stay overnight so I had to take my CPAP mask and tubing to hook up to their machine. I wore sweatpants in and out. I took my travel pillow (I HATE sleeping flat on my back and there was no way I could lay on my side that first night) and my snuggie, just because. I sat on my laptop the whole time so remember the charger...and your phone charger too LOL. They say no gum or mints but if you are able to not swallow the mints, you may want something to keep your mouth from getting dry...maybe a sucker or something. They just don't want you to swallow them.

GOOD LUCK =)

I had to stay 2 days because of heart complications. the one thing i wished i had and ended up paying the hospital for one was a little fan. it made the difference for me. as for medications. either liquids or you can crush them up. i have a pill crusher and a pestel and mortar. i have never used the pill crusher but have used the mortar. now if you can tolerate the taste you can chew them up too! after surgery they will start you with some ice chips. they are still avoiding you getting nauseated and to make sure your band isnt to swollen. expect it to be. you will have many incisions. small ones and one larger one. i don't remember them being to painful. but you will have pain medication for post op. walk as soon as you can. force yourself to. take pain med's before so it doesn't hurt so much to get up. and just do what your doctor has ordered you to do. that is the best advice anyone will give you.

Hi

I wore a dress and sandals, period. I didn't want anything around my belly area at all. It was easy to change from the hospital gown to my dress again when I was released to go home. Sandals meant I didn't have to bend to put them on.

You might take a small pillow to put between the seat belt and you, to cushion it. A roll of paper towels works, too.

I didn't spend the night.

I had had a medical alert necklace made, which was part of my honoring the beginning of a new life. It just had my name, that I had a lap band, my doctors name and phone number. Before leaving the hospital, I asked the nurse to help me put it on. I'd had it for months! And finally got to wear it! So, if you have anything that is symbolic or personal for you--remember to take it.

Take phone numbers of people you may want to call if you have to spend the night.

And be sure to take your love and vision for yourself; you've made a big decision on your own behalf. Congratulations! And hang in there. Never give up. Make every moment count.

:)

~hiddn

Everyone has good advice. My main advice is to get up and walk ASAP! I walked about 5 times, around the hospital, it is one floor and small. There I was pushing my intravenous meds, and solutions around and walking the halls! Plus, I had trouble sleeping and my insurance demanded an overnight stay! Best wishes

Gas strips

I was in n out patient and only one incision for lapband inside belly button. The other two small scars were for hiatal hernia repair completed at same time.

What kll724 said, Get up and walk when You can. Force yourself to walk. After about 60 minutes post surgery and my head was now clear, I got up and walked and walked around the nurses station and into hallways. It pushed any gases and any left over meds out of your system. Towards the end I out walked the nurse, walking next to me. They immediatedly discharged me after this.

Maybe if you do crosswords puzzles with two nice pencils in a ziplock freezer size pouch. I had to arrive 2 hours before and then my surgeon had a procedure before me that was longer than expected.

Best wishes and Kepp the Faith.

A robe for those walks, and slip-on shoes......

I had liquid Tylenol and liquid Ibuprofen at home -- was very glad I did not need the prescription pain medication even though it was filled and ready in case. Narcotics do such a number on the body. If you are prone to Constipation you may want to take something for that ahead of time, and most definitely if you end up taking any narcotic medication.

At home or if some one wants to bring you something: Popsicles! Loved having a popsicle -- a nice treat. I didn't bother with the fake sugar ones as I was having so few calories anyway.

Teas...I am a tea drinker and enjoyed having tea as soon as I could.....Took my favorite teabags in a ziplock. Nurses got me hot Water and I had my only little tea party.

Your big day is almost here! Best wishes to you.....I am one month out and so happy.

Wear something comfortable preferably something the can be button or zip up. Bring a pillow because the small one they gave me did not help. You will be a pillow to put on your stomach on the way home especially if you going to wear a seat belt. sugar free popsicles was my best friend after the surgery because I was burnt out on broths and sugar free Jell-O. I am not trying to scare you but buy Therma Care for shoulders. Most of us had some type of shoulder pain it will get annoying but it will get better. Walk! Walk! Walk! Let all the gas out you will feel so much better. :lol: You will go thru Bandster Hell. Keep yourself busy. During this stage I became addicted to Pinterest and candy Crush. (I am still am) :P Good Luck to you and I will see you on the other side. :)