Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2014 Sleevers Come In!

Does it hurt to get the drain out?

It does not hurt at all. It has a little sting at the end.

Day 1 postop and feeling fabulous! I'm meeting my Fluid and Protein goals. Pain is minimal, only around the big incision where they took the port, lapband, and excised stomach out. I have 5 incisions. No nausea at all today. My hubby and I can't believe how great I'm feeling. I hope all of you have a similar experience. I've read a wide range of outcomes.

Cheers!

Deb

Congrats that you are feeling so good Deb. I am Day 1 postop too and not doing so great. Felt great yesterday once I woke up and was able to be up and around. Have had waves of very bad nausea to deal with but the meds took care of that for the most part. Today I feel much worse - have lots of bloating and gas, its very uncomfortable, and for some reason I am not able to pass the gas. Surgeon says that the anesthesia sometimes shuts down the intestines for longer in some people than others. Apparently I am one of the lucky longer people. Have been walking constantly but it doesn't seem to help, just shifts the pain from one side to the other. Also looking forward to getting the drain out, probably tomorrow. Am back on clear liquids/gelatin/broth but have zero desire to eat. The pressure in my abdomen is too much. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to pop like a balloon. Basically I just have to get through it!

I hope everyone is feeling great...even going through this, I'd still do it again...have not had one second of regret. A formerly tight hoodie that I took with me to the hospital is now hanging off me. Only good things are in the future.

I start my preop diet on the 15th- high Protein, low cal shakes and puddings only, no actual food. I am NOT looking forward to that!

my surgery date is January the 13th. In Portland Oregon Dr Charles Kim at Kaiser Permanente. I'm a little scared and wary of what's going to happen the lap band was an easy surgery I hope this goes easy as well. I'm not really sure what to expect.

My wife just asked me that exact same question...didn't even think about that. So busy thinking about the surgery itself and the after-results, didn't even ponder the thought of what to bring to the hospital. I was told to plan for an overnight stay, and also told that I'll be doing alot of walking around...I'm thinking a loose pair of sweats and slippers, toothbrush/toothpaste, maybe some music if I can't sleep, or something to read. I heard someone mention lip balm is an essential. And I'm wondering if sugar-free mints would be allowed?

BryBro63- thanks for the ideas...I'm just ready to get it done and over with. My surgeon doesn't allow anything to drink 1st 24 hours (only ice chips to wet my lips) so yep I'm gonna be nursing that chapstick. Lol. Best wishes to you for a successful surgery & speedy recovery!

Anyone else on the clear liquids only for 3 days pre-op? Glad day one is over, but have a headache from 10 am on. Thinking it's the no caffeine. Would love advice to get through next 2 days, liquids and headache wise :)

Hello everyone today is a new day :) I feel great and today I'm leaving to the Marriott here in Tijuana :) they took my IV out and I'm drinking juice and gathorade :)

@Ally18 - Juice & Gatorade is allowed?? Wouldn't that be defeating the purpose of having this surgery??? Maintaining a sugar free diet from now on is the key to losing weight!

Edited by Bawaji

BryBro63- thanks for the ideas...I'm just ready to get it done and over with. My surgeon doesn't allow anything to drink 1st 24 hours (only ice chips to wet my lips) so yep I'm gonna be nursing that chapstick. Lol. Best wishes to you for a successful surgery & speedy recovery!

My surgeon is allowing Biotene moisturizing mouth spray & mouthwash to fight dry mouth. I have problems with that anyway so I know I will after surgery. You can buy it in the mouthwash/toothpaste section of a drugstore. I am also taking earplugs and sleepmask so I can actually rest! Hospitals are noisy and bright. They also told me to bring a small pillow or stuffed animal to hold against your tummy when they make you cough. Pj's, robe and slippers as well as personal care items like Shampoo, toothbrush etc.. Also ladies don't forget pads in case you TOM comes on unexpected. I understand that happens a lot and they don't allow tampons for a couple of days. Good luck to all!

Anyone having surgery with Dr Almanza? In TJ

On or around Jan 20th?

I'm scheduled for surgery with Scott Stowers in Decatur, Texas on January 20, 2014. I'm really getting anxious and excited at the same time. There is so much information in this forum and I'm very grateful! I can't imagine going into this surgery without all your input.

My surgeon is allowing Biotene moisturizing mouth spray & mouthwash to fight dry mouth. I have problems with that anyway so I know I will after surgery. You can buy it in the mouthwash/toothpaste section of a drugstore. I am also taking earplugs and sleepmask so I can actually rest! Hospitals are noisy and bright. They also told me to bring a small pillow or stuffed animal to hold against your tummy when they make you cough. Pj's, robe and slippers as well as personal care items like Shampoo, toothbrush etc.. Also ladies don't forget pads in case you TOM comes on unexpected. I understand that happens a lot and they don't allow tampons for a couple of days. Good luck to all!

QUOTE="fotogrphr" thanks for the ideas... I will pack all u advised.Best wishes to you!

Jan 20th sleeved in TJ ????

Dr Almanza anyone there around then?

Hello everyone today is a new day :) I feel great and today I'm leaving to the Marriott here in Tijuana :) they took my IV out and I'm drinking juice and gathorade :)

@Ally18 - Juice & Gatorade is allowed?? Wouldn't that be defeating the purpose of having this surgery??? Maintaining a sugar free diet from now on is the key to losing weight!

Per my plan you can have G2 Gatorade and 100% juice.

Per my plan you can have G2 Gatorade and 100% juice. Just not a lot of it.

Edited by shungsleeve