Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thoughts On Drinking Through A Straw?

I'm having a difficult time getting in all my fluids. I used to drink fluids all day long but through a straw. I hate drinking without it. I'm 6 weeks out and just can't get used to it. I feel like (as long as I don't hurt my sleeve) I could get in a lot more Water if I went back to using a straw. Thoughts??

My nutritionist said no straws ever, but some people on here have posted they use straws without any ill effect. This probably just muddles the issue for you.

My doctor's office and nutritionist also said no straws. The reasoning behind it is that it can cause you to gulp and take in larger amounts of Fluid. It can also cause you to take in air which can cause you pain.

I'm allowed straws...not quite sure why some say no, but I asked and was given the okay. Like LL says, follow your drs advice...so weird how they are all so different

I'm having a difficult time getting in all my fluids. I used to drink fluids all day long but through a straw. I hate drinking without it. I'm 6 weeks out and just can't get used to it. I feel like (as long as I don't hurt my sleeve) I could get in a lot more Water if I went back to using a straw. Thoughts??

I use my Camelback sports bottle and gulp Water and I've used a straw. Neither affect me. I believe we are all different. Try it a little and if it doesn't work....don't do it again. Doctors and nutritionist are not the end all be all. They are for the most part taking generalized studies and translating that information. Don't mind me.....I'm a person who always questions all aspects of information. Interesting what you will find. :-) best wishes!!!

Have been using a straw since 4 weeks out. Perfectly ok with my surgeon and NUT. I get way more fluids and less gas and burping with than without.

For sure follow your Dr.'s orders but you could ask him or her about it.

Follow your doctor's advice......I use a straw with premier Protein drinks.....only convenient way to drink them on the go.....

Drinking through a straw was the only 'rule' I broke - and I did it early on. I can drink much more through a straw, so it was week two when I started. It helped me a lot and I didn't get as much air as I did drinking without one. I use a LOT of ice and I was taking in quite a few air bubbles, I think it was because of the amount of ice I use. Anyway, I have never had any issues using one.

i was bound and determined after surgery to do what I was told so I had my log and I was drinking my Water faithfully. With my Camelbak water bottle. Where the contents are delivered - via a straw. :o

No issues, however, do what you doctor tells you. :)

I totally agree with all of you.. and I trust my dr and my advise to others is always 'follow your Dr s advice' but I can't seem to get hydrated. I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard anything about actually causing any damage or harm ever due to drinking out of a staw?

I totally agree with all of you.. and I trust my dr and my advise to others is always 'follow your Dr s advice' but I can't seem to get hydrated. I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard anything about actually causing any damage or harm ever due to drinking out of a straw?

I was told the reason was because it could be painful with the possibility of taking in air. I did not experience any pain, less air if anything. I 'confessed' when I went in for my three month visit and it was no big deal, i still only sipped, sipped, sipped in the beginning. The further out you get, the bigger your sips until you can eventually drink just like before. I was really worried about getting enough liquids in, the straw helped.

I would say... Listen to your body.

If you start burping and gurgling and feeling sick? Stop.

if you can get more in without pain/discomfort/nausea? Have at it.

Better to be hydrated than not.

I was told the reason was because it could be painful with the possibility of taking in air. I did not experience any pain, less air if anything. I 'confessed' when I went in for my three month visit and it was no big deal, i still only sipped, sipped, sipped in the beginning. The further out you get, the bigger your sips until you can eventually drink just like before. I was really worried about getting enough liquids in, the straw helped.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm probably still gonna try it (little scared) but I will call my surgeon at nine and give them the chance to talk me out of it. Just really need to find a way to get more fluids in! Thanks all for your experiences and advice!