Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was wondering how everyone here came up with their goal weight? Did your surgeon advise you, or are you following a specific ideal body weight calculation? The 130lbs I've listed as my goal weight is mostly an arbitrary number I picked within the normal/healthy BMI range for my age, height and gender. I'm a 26 year old female, 5'6.5, and the main reason I'm going through with the VSG is because it is the only hope I have to reverse my chronic health problems, and get off my medications. I have diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, high cholesterol and signs of fatty liver disease. Also, if I have this many health problems at a 'low' BMI, it's scary to think what could happen if I put on more weight. Since the main goal and focus of the surgery has been to address the chronic health problems, I never gave any thought to a 'goal weight' and never discussed it with my surgeon. The reason I want to have a goal weight is because it's motivating to have to work towards something and a good deterrent for falling back into my old eating habits.

I was told of using the recommended BMI for height,etc., but I picked my goal weight by remembering when I last felt healthy, wasn't embarrassed to have my picture taken and enjoyed buying new clothes. My GP asked me how much I weighed at age 18. I don't know if he was suggesting this as a possible goal, but I weighed about 155 at that age and was 2 1/2 inches taller (yes, I've really shrunk down over the years). My goal weight is 165. And I know when I get down in that range I'll just know what weight feels right and feels healthy. Like you, my major personal reasons for the operation were health oriented. I'm type 2 diabetic, with neuropathy. I have sleep apnea, and related chronic sleep issues. I have asthma and difficulty breathing easily. Oh did I mention high blood pressure & cholesterol? As the list has grown, my determination to do the gastric sleeve has strengthened. I've fought weight for 30+ years but was always able to take it off without too much difficulty. Once the diabetes and neuropathy developed, the medications I began taken absolutely increased my weight (rapidly) and made it more difficult to loose the pounds.

I've attended two group meetings so far and heard of the health miracles for so many of the people. No (or limited) insulin, reduced pain from the Neuropathy, sleep apnea gone (oh what a joy that would be), cholesterol levels down, blood pressure lowered, and more. People are talking about miracle after miracle. Now in reality not everyone achieved these this easily and/or quickly. Some said certain issues never cleared up (I been told that's often the case for Neuropathy)" yet I'm totally hopeful and know these possibilities can have for both of use as well as many more.

Good luck with your path. I'm set for surgery Dec 12th. And consider it a special Christmas present for 2013. Although I'm sure you'll hear me gripping and mourning the things I can't eat for awhile, that's why I'll really need the support and encourage from people on the same path.

PS: I forgot to mention that my starting weight was 229-230. I'm down to 220 per surgery,but I need to low a few meow pounds before Dec 12th.

how everyone came up with their goal weight??

vsg2803 and Paul too :)

at 5'3 i put my goal at 155 (my lowest weight about 15 years ago)

as my goal weight was approaching could lose more weight for my health and happiness :)

changed my goal to 135

i have maintained 130 lbs for one year!!! (and i will forever stay there -_- )

you are taller than me, but your build might be right for 130

maybe put your goal "alittle" higher, as you approach whatever # you choose, possibly re-evaluate your situation :)

listen to your body always - it will talk to you and tell you when to stop losing or continue

your health issues will greatly improve after you lose weight/and maybe disappear :)

no more diabetes, high blood pressure or CPAP for me :rolleyes:

enjoy this thanksgiving day, as you have much to be thankful, with a wonderful new year approaching

you are on your way to a healthier, happier, longer life

good luck

speedy recovery

kathy

I was wondering how everyone here came up with their goal weight? Did your surgeon advise you, or are you following a specific ideal body weight calculation? The 130lbs I've listed as my goal weight is mostly an arbitrary number I picked within the normal/healthy BMI range for my age, height and gender. I'm a 26 year old female, 5'6.5, and the main reason I'm going through with the VSG is because it is the only hope I have to reverse my chronic health problems, and get off my medications. I have diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, high cholesterol and signs of fatty liver disease. Also, if I have this many health problems at a 'low' BMI, it's scary to think what could happen if I put on more weight. Since the main goal and focus of the surgery has been to address the chronic health problems, I never gave any thought to a 'goal weight' and never discussed it with my surgeon. The reason I want to have a goal weight is because it's motivating to have to work towards something and a good deterrent for falling back into my old eating habits.

I also did this surgery for other health reasons........ So I really don't have a goal weight...... I just want to be healthy and have no back pain........ There's no certain number but I would love to fit in 8 size jeans...... I'm 5'11 sleeved 7 days ago at 306 today I'm 289...........

I remember being in high school and reading somewhere that being 5'8", my ideal weight is 140. So... That's where I got my goal weight from although I believe 175 is a more realistic goal. Either one would make me a happy gal!

I picked a normal range BMI, and it also happened to correlate to what my doctor came up with. I am going for 125 lbs. Last time I lost weight ten years ago I was 140 and always wanted to get that last fifteen pounds off. This time I will do it. I am 53, and now stand 5' 4 1/2". I used to be 5'6". :(