Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, New And Confused

My name is nancy and I just turned 50 and now I am in the process of having the sleeve done. But I was going for the gastro bypass but the surgeon said that the sleeve will be more affective for me.

I am taking 37 pills a day and I weigh 264. I been going to meetins for three Mondays and was suppose to lose 11lbs so they can do the surgery and I have not lost them. I start with a shake in the am but then at snack time I have to eat something light (by nutri) but then it open my stomach up and I will eat all day long. I just hate that.

I am confused because I have been hearing that the sleeves is dangerous more the the gastro bypass.

If you have had it done can you tell me how it went. I am scare that if something happens to my stomach they wont be able to fix it and I could die. Ok, I am here to hear you advice, tips anything that can help me through this.

Thank you

Also I am in need of finding a grocery list of what I need to buy and Vitamins to take, do the Vitamins all come in one package. I don't want to be looking for many bottles.

Hi Nancy,

Getting in the right frame of mind leading up to surgery can be hard. Harder still to change the habits that have followed us for years and led to our obesity. Start fresh. There is nothing you can do about past behavior, but you can change what you do next. Plan out your meals and Snacks for the day and don't deviate. Try logging ALL your food and liquids (myfitnesspal), it helps with accountability. Portion Control was a huge obstacle for me, but one that I was able to tackle before surgery and those new habits are helping me on my way. You can do this, take it one day at a time and do your best to stay the course.

Its a marathon, not a sprint so don't let a bad day ruin your mindset. You know what you need to do, commit to it.

Are you seeing a nutritionist? Everyone's supplement needs are different, and you should find out from your doctor what you need to do.

Good luck, I'm glad you posted, we are here to support you throughout. You're not alone in this.

JerseyGirl68 Hi, yes I see one, but I don't follow what I should be doing eating so much Protein is hard for me, I eat fruits, veggies, rice, sometime turkey subs. And I drink the shakes, its suppose to be four a day I mite get two in. I am working very hard to do what I need to but its not that easy. I have even taken three shakes already made with me, to the gym or friends house and I end up eating food, not the shakes.

she wants me to have food with the shakes, six times a day, every three to four hrs. its hard, I just eat a big meal and it last almost all day, like eating to big meal a day.

I have an appointment on the 24th to meet with the nutritionist and psyd to talk about how I feel and why I am scare.

what if I get cancer of the stomach god forbid. And then I wont be able to get help for it.

Idk iam just nevouse about the whole thing, bc I am not sure I will be able to do it, I want this so bad I have many medical condition and so many pills to take, I am tired of being tired.

You can't run your life by being scared. You could get run over tomorrow just crossing the street and it does not help to worry about it.

The sleeve is more nutritionally sound than the bypass and less invasive. My sleeve was done as an outpatient in one day. With the bypass, your diet is restricted, with the sleeve you can eat anything you want with my your new stomach being in control. Your Portion Control is already built in with either surgery but you have nothing to lose but the weight! You get to have a "do over"!! A second chance at a normal life. Good Luck!

You will need Vitamins for the rest of your life no matter what surgery you have done. They need to be specially formulated bariatric vitamins. We have different needs then those w/o WLS so the vitamins must be taken daily. The best ones out there are from Bariatric Advantage. You need a multi, Iron, calcium citrate and Vitamin D.

I been reading some post and now I just read what you both wrote and kinda feeling diff about it. I just have on mind if I get stomach cancer and have only half of a stomach there will be not much that can be done to help me.

I need to start over its just hard, I joined this forum bc I do need any advice,tip and friends as much as I can get. I feel alone, my friends are heavy but they don't care and they tell me I shouldn't have it bc I won't be able to eat everything I like. I want this bc I need the help, I tried all kind of diets and lose but gain it back.

I take 37 pills a day and I have many medical conditions. Thank you for responding to my post.

I also want to get info about Cosmetic Surgery, I am so afraid of the lose skin, I have them bad now and I know it will get worse, so I want like a whole body lift.

Have any of you thought about cosmetic surgery ?

All of our cells are made up of the food we eat. We literally are what we eat. Nutrition, stimulation, and realistic expectations are our best friends. Skin cells require a lot of Water and healthy fats, so make sure that ALA, CLA and Omega 3, 6,9 are part of your supplements and drink lots and lots of water. collagen and elastin are found in bone marrow, so Soups made with stock from animal bones (Pho) are fantastic for the skin. Eat a healthy diet! Rubbing bio oil into the skin will help. Saying kind things to your body about your body also help. Your skin is part of you, and it needs nourishment. Surgery is an option if you can afford it, but don't assume that it's going to make you look perfect. The best plastic surgeons in the world are still only doctors, not magicians. Surgery still has scarring, and cellulite in many cases. Loving and accepting your body will help to have the most positive outcomes. Take care of the skin you live in. I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

I been reading some post and now I just read what you both wrote and kinda feeling diff about it. I just have on mind if I get stomach cancer and have only half of a stomach there will be not much that can be done to help me.

I need to start over its just hard, I joined this forum bc I do need any advice,tip and friends as much as I can get. I feel alone, my friends are heavy but they don't care and they tell me I shouldn't have it bc I won't be able to eat everything I like. I want this bc I need the help, I tried all kind of diets and lose but gain it back.

I take 37 pills a day and I have many medical conditions. Thank you for responding to my post.

We get it. While we all walk different paths, and have different experiences, we have all lived with obesity and understand.

I think you should definitely pose the fears you have to your doctor. They are valid, but I agree that we can't live with what-ifs.

Post op, your diet will need to change, and you know this.. I'm a year out and do enjoy a lot of my favorites still. Much smaller portions and my choices are better. I've lost the same 100+ pounds several times in my life, this time I feel I have a firm grasp and the tool I need to make it last. I can't speak for everyone, but this time for me has been "easier" to stay focused. The built in restriction is such a major factor for me. The food choices I make are also crucial. I make sure I have high protein/low fat/low carb options around me all the time.

I think tracking your food helps a great deal. If you are finding it hard to get in all your shakes, then make sure the ones you are drinking are high quality with the highest Protein content you can find and enjoy.

I won't lie, the loose skin is an issue. I'm 45 and was overweight most of my life. It took a toll, and on the other hand, some folks have no big issues. It will depend on a bunch of factors. I agree with Dani, stay diligent, do what you can. You can worry about skin surgery after you lose. Stay hydrated and moisturize as much as you can.

If you've made your decision to move forward with surgery, own it. Do everything you can to get a favorable outcome.

You can do it, my guess is you are much stronger than you know.

Keep us posted!

Nancy, I wish you the best of luck on this journey. It sounds like you may want to do more research on the VGS and decide if this is right for you. The unknown is always scary. I had multiple group and individual classes with NUT. Knowledge is very important when undergoing something like the sleeve. Read and learn as much as you ca, ask questions. You'll make the right decision.

Thanks all I feel a little better they did give out a book about all the things that has to be done and what they want for me to read and learn, ima give it another try and rereading the book.

any and all advice and tips much appreciated.

I'm going to address your concern about stomach cancer which may or may not happen...I was concerned about this because my grandmother passed away from stomach cancer and that was the first thing I though of when the doctor suggested the sleeve.

Here's how I reconciled that concern. The VSG was originally designed as the first step in a two step process for patients that were severely morbidly obese - we're talking the 500 pounders. They would perform the VSG, then once the patient lost some weight, they would perform a gastric bypass. What they found was this was a good surgery for people who weren't as heavy and even some of those original candidates didn't need the bypass.

So, my theory is, there is a Plan B if something goes wrong with my sleeve. You can go to a bypass if needed.

I'm guessing if this is a concern of yours that you must have no background in medicine in general or oncology in particular. I'm not trying to be rude, but it sounds like you aren't getting your information from informative or reliable sources, and this misinformation is making you a nervous wreck.

JerseyGirl has given you some great advice as she always does. No need to repeat. But I'll address the bolded concern of yours to the best of my ability. Cancer is extremely complicated. Cancer is not one "disease". It is hundreds of thousands of them, millions of them in fact. Millions upon millions of errors. It does not have one sole cause ever. Truthfully there are no longitudinal studies of cancer prevalence in post-VSG patients because the procedure hasn't been around long enough. But gastric bypass has been around quite a while, and several studies have been done that seem to assert cancer risk (certain cancers) is reduced in those who undergo bariatric surgery. Why? Because being obese is already a serious risk factor for various cancers, particular in women.

On the flip side, there was a study in Sweden that concluded gastric bypass patients were at a slightly increased risk of colorectal cancer, but the mechanisms are far from clear - was nutrient malabsorption over a long period of time involved? Or changes in the cellular composition of the organ tissue? The problem is - no single answer is ever the answer with cancer. You can have risk factors but that doesn't mean you'll get cancer, or a particular cancer. The best thing people can do is try to live a healthy, balanced life. Eat right, exercise, leave the rest up to fate. Seems your obesity is contributing to several ailments already. No doubt your health is impacting your well-being. Get as much valid information as you can to assess the risks of surgery vs. the benefits. It is no minor change - it is lifelong. And to be successful in maintaining weight loss long term, you have to be vigilant in your diet. But you have to look to the future and imagine what your life will be like if you stay the same. That's what I did, and it didn't look pretty. So I made the decision to have the surgery and haven't for a second looked back.

I just spoke to my psycd and she told to be about a lot of wat you all have said here, she said for me not to worry and read my guide book they gave me.

she wants me to call my surgery dr. I am going to do that now.

I'll be back.

I want to let you all know that I like this site,