Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Did It, I Cheated... Help

I know it tough to stick with the pre op diet. I was worried about my liver not shrinking and having the surgery cancelled. So I did not cheat other than a few diet caffeine free cokes. I lost 30 lbs in those 2 weeks. I was sleeved today and just had my first walk around the nurses station. So far so good.

I know it tough to stick with the pre op diet. I was worried about my liver not shrinking and having the surgery cancelled. So I did not cheat other than a few diet caffeine free cokes. I lost 30 lbs in those 2 weeks. I was sleeved today and just had my first walk around the nurses station. So far so good.

Congrats. Happy you are up walking around. Keep up the good work and i will continue my journey in the right path.

They are Optifast Protein shakes. Yes, 20 pounds in 2 weeks. Im trying to move on. I just hope my sugery doesn't get canceled. Thanks for the pep talk.

Dear Lilrosie

Please get back on it, and start walking with it....KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE PRIZE...just think of how good you will be at this when surgery is done....Now where can I buy OPTISHAKES... how many cal in them??? How much Protein? ?

JewelJ

Whoa! I read that you have to lose 20 in 2 and my eyes almost rolled out my head!! You know what, I would have the greatest challenge when I was on HCG sometimes with cheating. One way that I prevented a cheat was to go to Starbucks and order a large regular coffee and I would add splenda and one Creamer in it. Having a taste of sweetness helped me and I new it was not a lot of calories. My other way was to go to bed earlier than I would before. So off to sleep at 7:30 or 8pm. No way would I wake up to eat or cheat. Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Thank you Bluetatto. My doctor only wants us to drink Optifast which has 160 calories, 17g sugar, 14g Protein.< /p>

By any chance does your surgeon require you to buy your Optifast from his office?

Linda, girl, those mighty wings are the devil! Stay away from McDonald's!:)

Hi Linda,

Does your surgical package include ongoing consultation with a nutritionist? Even if your nutritionist is only available to you via e-mail, I would recommend you take full advantage of it. Maybe the nutritionist will have suggestions for safe alternatives if you are really struggling.

I know pre-op is hard (I'm going through it right now... only day 2), but the one thing that has kept me from cheating so far is knowing that it would affect my own safety during the surgery. It really drove it home when I watched a video of the actual procedure and saw how the surgeon was able to easily move the liver aside because the person had followed their pre-op diet.

Don't let your cravings hold you back from a healthier, happier life. You've gotten through 7 days already. Keep yourself busy to keep food off your mind or at least, reduce opportunities to get food. You can do this! :)

Hi Linda,

Does your surgical package include ongoing consultation with a nutritionist? Even if your nutritionist is only available to you via e-mail, I would recommend you take full advantage of it. Maybe the nutritionist will have suggestions for safe alternatives if you are really struggling.

I know pre-op is hard (I'm going through it right now... only day 2), but the one thing that has kept me from cheating so far is knowing that it would affect my own safety during the surgery. It really drove it home when I watched a video of the actual procedure and saw how the surgeon was able to easily move the liver aside because the person had followed their pre-op diet.

Don't let your cravings hold you back from a healthier, happier life. You've gotten through 7 days already. Keep yourself busy to keep food off your mind or at least, reduce opportunities to get food. You can do this! :)

Thanks Vsg 2803

Im trying my best and your right im thinking safety first. I wouldn't want my surgery to be cancled. Therefore, im drinking my shakes and Water

Don't feel so bad about cheating. I wanted a Baconator SO bad on my pre-op diet and I didn't give in and get it - and to be perfectly honest I really wish I had gotten it. I'm 2 months post op now and I can have a bite or two - and I'm at point now that it doesn't bother to think about a Baconator, but everything is different now. Even if I wanted to eat a WHOLE Baconator it would probably take me ALL day and part of the next day. I'm incredibly THANKFUL for that too - because if I didn't get sleeved I would still be eating Baconators all the time! I'm rambling but my point is - don't beat yourself up about because once you're sleeved you won't be able to eat like that!

17g of sugar is crazy high for a "protein shake" I can't believe that's what your doc recommends. It's like he's self sabotaging your efforts. How bout checking your local grocery stores/GNC/walmart for Protein Drinks with much lower carbs. It may jump start your preop weight loss, and you can save your high sugar shakes that you had to buy from him for post op when you've got low energy levels. (Or sell them on eBay).

FWI, I'm supposed to lose 12 lbs preop and I'm only allowed 3 shakes/day at just 2g sugar each for my preop diet.

17g of sugar is crazy high for a "protein shake" I can't believe that's what your doc recommends. It's like he's self sabotaging your efforts.

That was exactly my thought. It seems to me as if some doctors are putting $$$$ ahead of patients' best interests - which is why I had the suspicion he was having her buy the shakes from his practice. 17g of sugar, IMHO, is just way too much.

Linda305, don't be down on yourself. Don't dwell on the mishap. We all make mistakes and many of us cheat [pre and post op]. Just keep telling yourself why you are doing this. Forgive yourself and move on.

If you don't like the taste of Water, I don't, try infusing the water with fruit. Just pick out the fruit you like, cut it up and put the slices in the water container. This way the water tastes a little, "a little", like the fruit.

Are you exercising? When I was about to join the police academy [many moons ago] I was told I had to lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks. I hated exercising but I went running every day. The surgeon and nursing staff will tell you to get out and walk at least 30 minutes every day. If you are not exercising, go to the mall and walk.

I agree with Hotmess, if you are sick you should not have the surgery. Your immune system is comprised.

Good Luck, keep us posted.