Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

N E 1 been Banded at Mt. Carmel col, oh

Lyn - congratulations! I'm sure you are looking and feeling fabulous. Last time I saw Darla she was chugging along and looked great too.

Hi Everyone~

Guess I will be joining you all soon! My surgery date is September 9th! :biggrin: Excited,and scared! Will they tell me at the appointment the week before about the liquid diet, or where did you all find information? I want my liver to be in the best shape possible for surgery-I don't want any complications! I am supposed to go on vacation September 30th,but thinking about postponing til December, or something so I won't be on liquids, or mushies. How soon is your first postop appointment? So many questions in my head! Also still trying to decide which band would be best? You all think I should be able to go back to work in the two weeks? Do they keep you overnight in the hospital? I am a dialysis tech,and I am on my feet 12 hours solid at minimum... See? So many questions!!:wink2: Driving myself bananas!!!

Joyce

Congrats on your surgery date Sillypuddy!

On pre-op diet, most of Dr. Choban or Dr. Price's patients aren't told they have to do a pre-op diet. I did one voluntarily myself for 2 weeks pre-op to give myself a mental "get ready" test, to make my liver in the best condition it could be like you, etc. I went with the canned Protein Shakes for Breakfast, lunch and a lean meat and vegetable dinner. I made sure I drank 64 oz Water daily. If I was too hungry, I had another Protein Shake and was able to lose 10-14 lbs. The bummer is that even though I count my total weight loss at -116 lbs now including that, the surgeon's office doesn't give me credit for what I lost pre-op, they just focus on where I am post op.

I had an office job where I have to get up and walk around but I can sit down the majority of my day and I was able to have surgery on Monday and go back to work the following Monday. Another person that had surgery about the same time as me was a nurse and she had to be off for 3 weeks because she helps lift patients as part of her job so that wasn't okay. Ask the doctor when you see them. On your feet for 12 hour days sounds pretty tough so I think I'd ask them to write you a time off note for 2 weeks minimum just to be sure.

Yes, Mt. Carmel keeps all their lapband patients in the hospital overnight one night and turns you lose the next day. I wish they would have let me go home same day, I really think I could have, but they want to make sure you are doing okay and I'm okay with them being cautious.

Edited by SpecialK

Congrats Sillypuddy/Joyce!

I did the same diet as Special K. Protein Drinks with lean Protein and veggies for dinner. I was very scared my liver would not be small enough and I wouldn't get my lap band. The doctor didn't put me on the diet, I did. I also hadn't lost all the weight I needed to lose. Dr. Choban told me to lose at least 10lbs. So, I ended up losing 14lbs and she said my liver looked great. I think I might have started mine 3 weeks out from surgery.

I don't work outside the home so I can't help you with that. But I got out of surgery at 4 in the afternoon and was very ready to leave by 8 am. I didn't get released until 11am.

I also didn't get a choice of bands back in December. Your Doctor should help you decide, I would think. Share your wisdom when you make your choice.

Shawna

Congrats Joyce!!! I know how you feel about being afraid, my surgery was 2 weeks ago. I was so scared they gave me something before surgery to calm me down. The surgery was fine, first night in hospital I was really sore like I had been kicked in the stomach, but nothing I could not handle. I only took two doses of pain med and then started on tylenol. I feel great and am on soft food now. I think you might need to take at least two weeks off work, it has just been in the last few days that I have not been sore. I did not do any kind of diet before surgery. Also Dr Price asked me which type of band I would like, I ask him what did he think and he said the realize band was easier to put in so that is the one I picked. You can go online and read about the Realize band. I also bought Unjury protien on line ahead of time so I would have it when I got home. I really like the chocolate and vanilla and use it three times a day. I was not real crazy about the unflavored, and I have not tried the stawberry or cream of chicken. Good luck you will do fine and if you have any other question I will be happy to answer if I can.:thumbup:

Edited by djk24

DJK - I find spaghetti a "slider" food actually so I try to limit how often I allow myself to order this. I used to be a big Pasta eater. I have found if I cut it up into small bites and chew I can eat more spaghetti than I think I should. When I go out to Italian restaurants now, I am trying to get something like chicken parmesan with a side of spaghetti or lasagna where the pasta isn't the main attraction -- helps me stay closer to the bandster rules to eat Protein first and veggies next and then carbs as the third priority.

I have heard Missy say at our support group that she cannot eat pasta at all and I am not sure why. It could be she chooses to stay away from anything white flour related as not high enough in protein but not sure.

Mt. Carmel is giving its patients a choice of Lapband or Realize Band and I thought this was interesting from Allergan. I'll also look and see if I find the J&J Realize comparison.

Lapband.com - Compare LAP-BAND® and REALIZEâ„¢ Band – Get the Facts

From the J&J Realize site:

http://www.realizeband.com/dtcf/pages/compare-lap-band.htm

Edited by SpecialK

Here is a good article from WebMD to check if WLS is a good option for you.

Weight Loss Surgery Health Check - Take the WebMD Weight Loss Surgery Assessment

I have to say that on both this website and on www.obesityhelp.com website there are some extremely strong minded people about the surgery option they chose -- to the point of putting others down for choosing a "dumb, crappy, crazy, piece of junk, etc." tool. I posted this because we should make people aware that one variation of WLS isn't right for everyone, that is why there are different kinds. If someone has RNY and then has a lapband revision because it helps them in their journey to be healthy, I am happy for them. If someone has lapband and then revises to a RNY or sleeve, etc. to be healthy, then I am happy for that person too. Its about getting healthy... not the tool and fighting for one tool over another. I am happy to explain to others why I chose the tool I did, I was a volume eater specifically, and a restrictive tool was right for me. I wanted to be able to eat small portions of a wide variety of foods including rarely or occasionally sweets, without having vomitting or diarrhea as in what I was told "dumping" was all about. I have been faithful to limit the number of times I head for the sweets and that has been okay for me. I have substituted Splenda or other sweetners for most things but I still like some cinnamon sugar on my sweet potato or whatever, just in modest amounts now.

I would also like to help continue to dispel the MYTH I often see out there that RNY is the only choice for those who have more than 100 lbs to lose. This is SO not true as this website just for Mt. Carmel, and the other Columbus bariatric programs has proven.

If you are a person who doesn't see fast results or else you will get discouraged, you should talk with your surgeon about that. I lost quickly enough in the early stages to keep me motivated but I also knew I might be committing to at least 2 years and maybe 3 to get to my goal completely and I accepted that. I'm in year 2 now and while I don't see the next 10 lbs increment down on the scale each month, I still see the scale going down over time and I'm happy. When I don't focus on the numbers, I am sometimes surprised between office visits to the surgeon or my PCP that hey, you lost 10 lbs since I saw you 8 weeks ago. Yea!

If you are committed to your WLS tool, you can lose 100+ lbs. If you are not committed to your WLS tool and a lifetime commitment to healthy eating and exercise in your future, take time to consider your decision some more.

Okay, I'm get down off my soapbox but I just felt compelled to share today because of what I continue to read particularly "blasting" failed lapband patients.

Edited by SpecialK

Mt. Carmel's Support Group discussion was on getting active in Obesity awareness and promoting better policies for dealing with obesity. Missy was encouraging us to stand up for our rights, with our legislators, with our employers, insurers, and other businesses. Let them know your story of how you were impacted by obesity related discrimination or denied access, etc. Fight for those who still need to see a wide variety of options made available in all health insurance plans so that obesity can be fought against.

Here's a sample of the August OAC newsletter I got through email recently. I guess I got on the mailing list after participating in the Walk from Obesity last year but several of the articles are interesting.

Urge Congress to Address Obesity Epidemic in Healthcare Reform154.jpg?a=1102654333536

Visit the OAC Legislative Action Center today and urge congress to begin addressing the obesity epidemic in healthcare reform.

The OAC has received numerous inquiries around the proposed healthcare reform efforts currently underway in Washington, DC, and as such, we are urging all those interested to advocate to their elected officials today about the effect obesity has had on their lives and let their voice be heard!

To view what the OAC focuses on when talking to elected officials, please click here.

HI Everybody~

My surgery date is approaching fast! Excited,but nervous... Not about the surgery itself,but how successful I will be after, and what I will be able to eat,and all the changes that will come after losing all the fat I have been hiding behind. As usual my mind is going a thousand miles an hour! I ordered some packets of Unjury to see which flavor I would like most,then will order more for post surgery. Had the first one today,which was vanilla-not bad at all! Do all of you still use the unjury,or are you able to get enough Protein eating food? How often does everybody excercise? I am afraid I will not be able to do it on the days I work. I work three days a week,and my days start at 3:30 am,and dont get off until about 7:00... So,will 4 days a week be enough?? So many thoughts running rampant! LOL Dr. Choban had Charlene call to see which band I want placed... I have been researching a lot,but still undecided.... Guess when I have my appointment with her the week before surgery, hopefully she will have each in the office,so I can look,and decide... Hope everyone is doing well!!!

Joyce

Hi Sillypuddy - I keep chocolate and vanilla Protein Powder around and make shakes occasionally but I don't have to rely on those to get my Protein in -- it is better to eat your calories than drink them in my opinion.

Exercise, if 4 days is what you can do, then do 4 days and you'll be glad you did. I do Water aerobics 2x a week and I try to take walks in my neighborhood or on my lunch hour 2x a week, and then I try to use either the gym at work or my gym membership at Urban Active to do elliptical climber/trainer and/or treadmill and weight machines mostly for upper body strength. They say if you build muscle it burns more calories than fat at the same weight so in the long run its a good thing.

Some suggestions for possibly fitting in other exercise - I keep 8 lb. free weights by my TV-watching chair and I do exercises while I watch TV.

It took me awhile to work up to this level but the surgeons really do say that even 15 minutes in a day is a good start if it gets you in the habit of committing to it.

Thank you for all the good ideas! Had all the preop stuff done today-yeah! Looks like everything is a go! I'm not too nervous about the surgery itself-scared of all the changes afterwards. I need to get focused on all the postitives,but it is hard sometimes. I just don't want to be a failure...

I can't remember the one lady's name,but she was at one of the meetings at Polaris; she was supposed to have her band operated on,and I was wondering how she did. She seemed like such a sweet lady. Also curiuos how DJK is doing since surgery-haven't seen anything recent. Enough ramblings,hope everyone is doing great!!

Joyce

Sillypuddy -- have you had your lapband surgery! Hope all went well. Post when you feel you can and let us know how you are doing.

Hi Everybody! Board has been pretty quiet lately...Wondering how DJ is doing,along with everybody else... Nine days til surgery,and wow,what things go through your mind... Soo excited about the prospect of being healthy,and trim,but scared some how I will be a failure... Also scary to think I am saying goodbye to so many foods that have "gotten me through" things-BUT also got me here... The mind is a powerful thing! My partner hasn't been to any of the pre-nutrition classes with me,and has no clue... Already saying, I should be able to have regular popsicles instead of sugar free ones since I won't be eating anything the first two weeks... I told her I don't want to start out a cheater-I am having a major surgery to help me lose weight.... Just don't think she gets it... And almost fell for that one! LOL Has anyone gone to counseling during this whole weight loss process? I mean other than the suppport group at the hospital? In the past when the weight started coming off,and the more attention I recieved, I didn't handle it too well-and would gain it all back! I don't ever want to do that again! Now I know what a friend meant by mental,mental,mental. He has a lapband as well,and said the mental part is the hardest part for him. Now I believe him! So any words of encouragement, or advice will be helpful!!! Hope all is well with everyone!

Joyce