Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Slow Losers Thread

Hi guys. I started this thread as I thought I was the only one this was happening to.

It's good to know that I'm not but it's a shame any of us are slow losers.

I had my surgery on 10th October - in all since then (weighed last on Monday 6th Jan), I have lost 18lb, in 13 weeks which is an average of just over 1lb a week.

I've had and seen an x-ray and my pouch is 'normal'. It's not tiny, the cottage cheese test came in at 7.5oz. Apparently they can be up to 9oz without any impact on weight loss.

For 5 weeks since I last saw my dietician, I wasn't dieting in any way and Christmas, New Year and my birthday fell in the period too - and I still lost 2lb.

So, I have deiced to just accept that I'm a slow loser and to do 2 things that might help me continue to lose 1lb a week. One is exercise and the other is to cut out sugar which I have done since 1st January.

I get weighed again on Monday 27th January and I will be a happy bunny if I've lost 3lb.

Better to be a slow loser than a no-loser which i was scared I was!

Good luck everyone, we'll get there :-)

Hi,

I am new to this site and I love this thread. Honestly, when you are a slow loser, you think you are the only one. it's a topic I know that I am embarrassed to even discuss with my family or anyone because most people expect the weight to be melting off, like it's a instant cure. When it doesn't, it's humiliating. I got Roux-en-Y on 12/20/13. Started at 248 before liquid shake pre-op. Left the hospital after surgery at 248. Today am 219. I am 7 wks. post op. I lost most of the weight in the first 4 weeks and barely anything since. I struggle getting my Protein in because I gag so easily and just can't eat any meat and can barely drink another shake. I live on Cream of Wheat w/unsweetened almond milk for Breakfast, some unsweetened applesauce, crackers with Peanut Butter and recently some low fat cheese sticks. I will admit I have been bad about taking my Vitamins because I gag on them, I know I need to totally up my protein(just started logging in fitnesspal.com, and need to get more Water in. Also, need to exercise. I'm really not a baby and am trying to do my best with the gagging, having to throw up, and trying to get protein in, but sadly, I've been eating mostly carbs and I think that is causing a slow weight loss. Thanks again for this thread. :)

Jane, I don't consider you a slow loser at all. 249 to 219 in 7 wks is awesome! I'm 190 to 170 in 6 wks and get upset but what did I expect? We have less to drop so it will be a little slow.. your doing awesome!

I had my post op today and I've had a rough day. I'm grateful for this thread. I thought I'd be the only slow loser. I thought I was in a club unto myself and I didn't want to be in it. I had a band for 7 years and I've struggled for every last pound of weight loss. I finally realized I will never be able to find weight loss success on my current path so I decided to have gastric bypass on 01/28/14. My fear was and has always been that I would not lose weight like other people. Even with the surgery. I've experienced a lifetime of disappointment with this. I almost get mad when I see shows that show an overweight person stuffing their face with twinkles and crap. I've never been like that and I resent being judged that way. So at my 2 week post op when I only lost 7 lbs all my fears took hold of me. Yes even with the bypass my body will fight me. Fight me for every last pound. I was hoping by changing things so dramatically it would somehow shock my body into change. I must realize I'm in the slow losers club now and always. Regardless of my situation. It sucks but it is the way it is. I was also seeing all the posts saying I'm down 30, 20, 15 lbs. the least I've seen is 10 - 12. I just desperately wanted to be one of them and I got a quick dose of dream crashing. This was the week to find out if I'd be a big loser. It doesn't appear that will be the case. After 17 days of Protein and broth and only 7 lbs change it sure made me bummed. I'll get over it. Thank you for this thread. While I'm sad to see there are others who have not lost their weight fast. I'm happy there is a thread and I don't feel so alone.

Edited by Meintraining

I feel like a slow loser. Sleeved Dec 2, 2014 with SW 242 CW 210..and the scale isn't moving!

Positive I'm not getting my Protein in most days (recommended 65 gm a day along with 65 ounces of water)...could this be the reason??

UGH

That is a great question. Does Protein really cause weight loss or does it just keep one from feeling hungry?

I had my post op today and I've had a rough day. I'm grateful for this thread. I thought I'd be the only slow loser. I thought I was in a club unto myself and I didn't want to be in it. I had a band for 7 years and I've struggled for every last pound of weight loss. I finally realized I will never be able to find weight loss success on my current path so I decided to have gastric bypass on 01/28/14. My fear was and has always been that I would not lose weight like other people. Even with the surgery. I've experienced a lifetime of disappointment with this. I almost get mad when I see shows that show an overweight person stuffing their face with twinkles and crap. I've never been like that and I resent being judged that way. So at my 2 week post op when I only lost 7 lbs all my fears took hold of me. Yes even with the bypass my body will fight me. Fight me for every last pound. I was hoping by changing things so dramatically it would somehow shock my body into change. I must realize I'm in the slow losers club now and always. Regardless of my situation. It sucks but it is the way it is. I was also seeing all the posts saying I'm down 30, 20, 15 lbs. the least I've seen is 10 - 12. I just desperately wanted to be one of them and I got a quick dose of dream crashing. This was the week to find out if I'd be a big loser. It doesn't appear that will be the case. After 17 days of Protein and broth and only 7 lbs change it sure made me bummed. I'll get over it. Thank you for this thread. While I'm sad to see there are others who have not lost their weight fast. I'm happy there is a thread and I don't feel so alone.

Trust me, hang in there. Emotionally, I've been all over the place. I feel major embarrassment when I see people I haven't seen in awhile because I think they are expecting me to be so much smaller and 25-30 lbs. on me, only shows a dab, not enough for anyone to say anything and I think people are expecting to say something but when they see me, they don't, because they can't tell. UGH! I can tell in my boobs and a little everywhere. Ok, yes, you have a shit struggle there but your not giving up girl! My surgeon told me yesterday that in a year and a half, I would be to a healthy weight if I simply ate when I was hungry and stopped when I was full. When I eat, chose protein first. That gave me hope. I went into my appointment yesterday(7 wks) totally bummed about my weight loss and panicking about if this is going to work for me. He was a bit of a jerk, but in spite of that, I respect him for his expertise. He told me I should not be worried about the weight loss. Ok, anyway, yes, it's about the weight loss, feeling better, a better quality of life and simply "getting this new lifestye!!!" I started logging my food intake daily on MyFitnessPal.com. I don't care about the calories, only the protein pretty much. It was an eye opener for me. I had only been eating about 500 calories a day and eating less than 10 grams of protein a day; barely taking my Vitamins because they made me gag and no exercise. Because of some wonderful tips and suggestions from folks on this website, I have tried new forms of protein that I can eat and doesn't make me gag. Don't lose hope girl, I will support you! I think I went 3 weeks and lost 2 lbs. That just sucks especially when you are working so hard to be successful! I know for me, I gag easily and had throwing up issues a lot. Just tried eating a Lean Cuisine last night. It tasted pretty good, but threw it up later in the night. But Babybel Light cheese works for me, Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt goes down and I started eating Special K High Protein Cereal with unsweetened almond milk(13 grams of protein for both). Anyway, let me know if I can help you. I don't know how to add someone as a friend, I will if you know. Take good care. You CAN do this, we can all do this. We all deserve it!

Trust me, hang in there. Emotionally, I've been all over the place. I feel major embarrassment when I see people I haven't seen in awhile because I think they are expecting me to be so much smaller and 25-30 lbs. on me, only shows a dab, not enough for anyone to say anything and I think people are expecting to say something but when they see me, they don't, because they can't tell. UGH! I can tell in my boobs and a little everywhere. Ok, yes, you have a **** struggle there but your not giving up girl! My surgeon told me yesterday that in a year and a half, I would be to a healthy weight if I simply ate when I was hungry and stopped when I was full. When I eat, chose Protein first. That gave me hope. I went into my appointment yesterday(7 wks) totally bummed about my weight loss and panicking about if this is going to work for me. He was a bit of a jerk, but in spite of that, I respect him for his expertise. He told me I should not be worried about the weight loss. Ok, anyway, yes, it's about the weight loss, feeling better, a better quality of life and simply "getting this new lifestye!!!" I started logging my food intake daily on MyFitnessPal.com. I don't care about the calories, only the protein pretty much. It was an eye opener for me. I had only been eating about 500 calories a day and eating less than 10 grams of protein a day; barely taking my Vitamins because they made me gag and no exercise. Because of some wonderful tips and suggestions from folks on this website, I have tried new forms of protein that I can eat and doesn't make me gag. Don't lose hope girl, I will support you! I think I went 3 weeks and lost 2 lbs. That just sucks especially when you are working so hard to be successful! I know for me, I gag easily and had throwing up issues a lot. Just tried eating a Lean Cuisine last night. It tasted pretty good, but threw it up later in the night. But Babybel Light cheese works for me, Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt goes down and I started eating Special K High Protein cereal with unsweetened almond milk(13 grams of protein for both). Anyway, let me know if I can help you. I don't know how to add someone as a friend, I will if you know. Take good care. You CAN do this, we can all do this. We all deserve it!

Thank you so much!!!!!! I needed a day to grieve the fact I would not loose like most people. A day to be pissed about it. Although I am mad as hell, these are the cards I've been dealt. Thank you for your support! My doc was almost laughing that I was so upset. He had a student with him and he was telling the student that many patients get emotional because they've experienced a lifetime of diet failure. He was compassionate but sort of found it slightly amusing. I'm starting to wonder if it's because he knows I will lose. That my fears are unfounded. I don't think he could truly know what it's like to eat broth for 17 days and only lose 7 lbs but I will lose. Not like I want but I will lose none the less. After I get out of these restrictive phases I think I'll be a lot better. I want to try to up my protein and exercise. I'm just so weak. I have no energy.

On a positive note, I was excited today because I made a scrambled egg and was full before eating all of it. On the liquid phase I was worried I had no restriction but today I realize I do!

Thank you so much for the support!!!!!! Really I appreciate it. Hope your doing well

My doc was almost laughing that I was so upset. He had a student with him and he was telling the student that many patients get emotional because they've experienced a lifetime of diet failure. He was compassionate but sort of found it slightly amusing. I'm starting to wonder if it's because he knows I will lose. That my fears are unfounded.

Hey there friend. ..

My doc was the same. He saw how genuinely concerned I was and merely looked baffled. He looked me straight in the eye and told me "You will lose weight whether you try to or not. In 18 months time you will not recognize yourself".

It made me realize he is thinking long term and I'm busy focussed on what I think are failures each week. I also needed to focus on the long term, the bigger picture.

Im nearly 17 weeks in after my gastric bypass and I have lost 37 lbs. Im a slow loser but I now have faith I'll get there. It's a massive lesson in patience.

All the very best :-)

Edited by rach1134

Trust me, hang in there. Emotionally, I've been all over the place. I feel major embarrassment when I see people I haven't seen in awhile because I think they are expecting me to be so much smaller and 25-30 lbs. on me, only shows a dab, not enough for anyone to say anything and I think people are expecting to say something but when they see me, they don't, because they can't tell. UGH! I can tell in my boobs and a little everywhere. Ok, yes, you have a **** struggle there but your not giving up girl! My surgeon told me yesterday that in a year and a half, I would be to a healthy weight if I simply ate when I was hungry and stopped when I was full. When I eat, chose Protein first. That gave me hope. I went into my appointment yesterday(7 wks) totally bummed about my weight loss and panicking about if this is going to work for me. He was a bit of a jerk, but in spite of that, I respect him for his expertise. He told me I should not be worried about the weight loss. Ok, anyway, yes, it's about the weight loss, feeling better, a better quality of life and simply "getting this new lifestye!!!" I started logging my food intake daily on MyFitnessPal.com. I don't care about the calories, only the protein pretty much. It was an eye opener for me. I had only been eating about 500 calories a day and eating less than 10 grams of protein a day; barely taking my Vitamins because they made me gag and no exercise. Because of some wonderful tips and suggestions from folks on this website, I have tried new forms of protein that I can eat and doesn't make me gag. Don't lose hope girl, I will support you! I think I went 3 weeks and lost 2 lbs. That just sucks especially when you are working so hard to be successful! I know for me, I gag easily and had throwing up issues a lot. Just tried eating a Lean Cuisine last night. It tasted pretty good, but threw it up later in the night. But Babybel Light cheese works for me, Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt goes down and I started eating Special K High Protein cereal with unsweetened almond milk(13 grams of protein for both). Anyway, let me know if I can help you. I don't know how to add someone as a friend, I will if you know. Take good care. You CAN do this, we can all do this. We all deserve it!

Thank you so much!!!!!! I needed a day to grieve the fact I would not loose like most people. A day to be pissed about it. Although I am mad as hell, these are the cards I've been dealt. Thank you for your support! My doc was almost laughing that I was so upset. He had a student with him and he was telling the student that many patients get emotional because they've experienced a lifetime of diet failure. He was compassionate but sort of found it slightly amusing. I'm starting to wonder if it's because he knows I will lose. That my fears are unfounded. I don't think he could truly know what it's like to eat broth for 17 days and only lose 7 lbs but I will lose. Not like I want but I will lose none the less. After I get out of these restrictive phases I think I'll be a lot better. I want to try to up my protein and exercise. I'm just so weak. I have no energy.

On a positive note, I was excited today because I made a scrambled egg and was full before eating all of it. On the liquid phase I was worried I had no restriction but today I realize I do!

Thank you so much for the support!!!!!! Really I appreciate it. Hope your doing well

Ok, I just have a minute, but I'm proud of you with your attitude, My doctor also was shocked basically at my scared feelings that I may fail at this, and that I may not be losing at an "appropriate" rate. He was not consoling at all, he basically chewed me out. Whatever. Yes, maybe I am anxious a bit about my weight loss as I have failed my entire life, except once and it means SO much to me to lose it and actually DO IT this time. What the hell? Everyone feels that way. He said it wasn't about the weight loss, yes it is... along with other good stuff, of course. I'm no freak girl, just a normal christian mom, with 3 kids, who has struggled for 51 years to lose weight. Been on all of the diets, went into them all with great attitudes, eventually failing. So, yes, I'm a bit anxious and was only looking for some reassurance that I was on track and that I would eventually get to a healthy weight if I ate when I was hungry and stopped when I was full and concentrated on the protein. Geez. Anyway, I have been totally weak and I think it's starting to get better now that I am actually eating some protein and tracking it. I felt like I could barely make it up the stairs and was ready for bed at 6:30(didn't go of course,but just so dang tired). Today, I am feeling full of energy and so much more motivated. Hang in there girl, I will help you along the way, we'll help each other. I just made a tiny portion of Annie's organic mild chili with a dab of shredded cheese for lunch and will have some unsweetened applesauce with it. Have a migraine(shit) but so what, I know I can do this and you can too!!!!! Try logging your food at MyFitnessPal. It really changed things around for me. I believe in you!! I can't get my ticker to show. I copy and paste it. Is there a trick???

Great attitude Rach! I know it's a bummer but I guess long term is the best way to think. :-)

Hey there friend. .. My doc was the same. He saw how genuinely concerned I was and merely looked baffled. He looked me straight in the eye and told me "You will lose weight whether you try to or not. In 18 months time you will not recognize yourself". It made me realize he is thinking long term and I'm busy focussed on what I think are failures each week. I also needed to focus on the long term, the bigger picture. Im nearly 17 weeks in after my gastric bypass and I have lost 37 lbs. Im a slow loser but I now have faith I'll get there. It's a massive lesson in patience. All the very best :-)

The Protein I the most important. If I get at least 80 grams a day I will loose a little. If I get less than 60 I won't loose a thing. Also the protein is what gives you energy and helps prevent Hair loss. I know it can be hard. But I make one shake that is 50 grams of protein and gag it down before I can eat anything else. I take my time and hold my breath but the faster I get done with that the sooner I can eat something yummy like eggs, yogurt, or turkey burger. Those butterball turkey burgers are 31 grams of protein and I can have half for lunch and half for dinner.

Also I have discovered through research that the ones who had to fight to loose anything and took longer, actually kept the weight off. While the ones who's body melted over night ended up gaining most of it back. So that is what keeps me positive for my long term success. It isn't about how fast I loose, so long as it comes off and stays off!!! You can do it just remember the tortious and the hare ????

The Protein I the most important. If I get at least 80 grams a day I will loose a little. If I get less than 60 I won't loose a thing. Also the protein is what gives you energy and helps prevent Hair loss. I know it can be hard. But I make one shake that is 50 grams of protein and gag it down before I can eat anything else. I take my time and hold my breath but the faster I get done with that the sooner I can eat something yummy like eggs, yogurt, or turkey burger. Those butterball turkey burgers are 31 grams of protein and I can have half for lunch and half for dinner.< /p>

Also I have discovered through research that the ones who had to fight to loose anything and took longer, actually kept the weight off. While the ones who's body melted over night ended up gaining most of it back. So that is what keeps me positive for my long term success. It isn't about how fast I loose, so long as it comes off and stays off!!! You can do it just remember the tortious and the hare

Thanks for the interesting and informative post. What Protein Drink do you drink that has 50 grams of protein? I have gotten to a point where I can barely get those Protein Drinks down. I have some Pure Protein now but would love to find one that is high is protein and that tastes great and hopefully NOT full of preservatives. Some of the protein drinks I have tried I think trigger my headaches, not sure. Anyway, thanks for the great info. Everyday, it's my goal amongst other things to get that protein in. Up until last week(7 wks post op) I was only getting in maybe 20 grams a day. Now that I am logging it, I make sure I get at least 50, but I'm working on getting in more. I lost weight for the first time in weeks after increasing my protein(3 lbs. yesterday). I love your inspiration about slow losers.

The Protein I the most important. If I get at least 80 grams a day I will loose a little. If I get less than 60 I won't loose a thing. Also the protein is what gives you energy and helps prevent Hair loss. I know it can be hard. But I make one shake that is 50 grams of protein and gag it down before I can eat anything else. I take my time and hold my breath but the faster I get done with that the sooner I can eat something yummy like eggs, yogurt, or turkey burger. Those butterball turkey burgers are 31 grams of protein and I can have half for lunch and half for dinner. Also I have discovered through research that the ones who had to fight to loose anything and took longer, actually kept the weight off. While the ones who's body melted over night ended up gaining most of it back. So that is what keeps me positive for my long term success. It isn't about how fast I loose, so long as it comes off and stays off!!! You can do it just remember the tortious and the hare dde0a

I love you! Haaa. I really needed to hear that. With the band I would lose maybe a pound or 2 here and there but the scale at least went down instead of up. I guess it will be more of the same with the bypass but I like the thought of being the one to keep it off. I'm going to work hard to get that protein in this week. Hopefully it will help. Great ideas on high protein foods too. Thank you.

Jane I know you were asking Melissa but what I do for a Protein Shake is 1 scoop of Muscle Milk and one scoop of Matrix. Matrix has more Protein per scoop but I hate the taste. MM has less protein but gives a great flavor. I add in lactaid milk and Water. My friend gave me some cacao spelled something like that which is an all natural cocoa. That can flavor it too. So using 2 scoops of the protein will really help get the protein in and to make it taste better you can add carnation instant breakfast, natural sweeteners, extracts, etc.

Edited by Meintraining

Jane I know you were asking Melissa but what I do for a Protein Shake is 1 scoop of Muscle Milk and one scoop of Matrix. Matrix has more Protein per scoop but I hate the taste. MM has less protein but gives a great flavor. I add in lactaid milk and Water. My friend gave me some cacao spelled something like that which is an all natural cocoa. That can flavor it too. So using 2 scoops of the protein will really help get the protein in and to make it taste better you can add carnation instant breakfast, natural sweeteners, extracts, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion....really appreciate it! It seems that getting at least one high protein shake in a day, even gagging it down, is super important to good heath and weight loss. :)