Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Slow Losers Thread

I use either gourmet pro or high 5. They can only be bought at max muscle, but I think you can order online if you don't have a store local.

P.S. The gourmet pro smell like fish feet lol so plug your nose when you make it. But it tastes really good and have all the Vitamins and minerals you are missing out on by not eating real food.

I also use the nectar Protein because it tastes like juice and I love juice. And the nectar plain tames down gross protein flavors lol.

I had my post op today and I've had a rough day. I'm grateful for this thread. I thought I'd be the only slow loser. I thought I was in a club unto myself and I didn't want to be in it. I had a band for 7 years and I've struggled for every last pound of weight loss. I finally realized I will never be able to find weight loss success on my current path so I decided to have gastric bypass on 01/28/14. My fear was and has always been that I would not lose weight like other people. Even with the surgery. I've experienced a lifetime of disappointment with this. I almost get mad when I see shows that show an overweight person stuffing their face with twinkles and crap. I've never been like that and I resent being judged that way. So at my 2 week post op when I only lost 7 lbs all my fears took hold of me. Yes even with the bypass my body will fight me. Fight me for every last pound. I was hoping by changing things so dramatically it would somehow shock my body into change. I must realize I'm in the slow losers club now and always. Regardless of my situation. It sucks but it is the way it is. I was also seeing all the posts saying I'm down 30, 20, 15 lbs. the least I've seen is 10 - 12. I just desperately wanted to be one of them and I got a quick dose of dream crashing. This was the week to find out if I'd be a big loser. It doesn't appear that will be the case. After 17 days of Protein and broth and only 7 lbs change it sure made me bummed. I'll get over it. Thank you for this thread. While I'm sad to see there are others who have not lost their weight fast. I'm happy there is a thread and I don't feel so alone.

I had lap band first too. After 1 YR AND 2 months I moved to this. With the band I had lost 45 and gained 10 back. O fought to lose every pound. I was jogging 4 miles a day. Nice muscled legs but still a big girl. I had my bypass on Jan 9. I'm 6 wks out and 20# down.. that's slow.. I'm eating full liquids still. Others on mushies are losing more than me.

I had lap band first too. After 1 YR AND 2 months I moved to this. With the band I had lost 45 and gained 10 back. O fought to lose every pound. I was jogging 4 miles a day. Nice muscled legs but still a big girl. I had my bypass on Jan 9. I'm 6 wks out and 20# down.. that's slow.. I'm eating full liquids still. Others on mushies are losing more than me.

So sorry. Really. It just is so frustrating isn't it. I used to run 3 - 5 miles 4 nights a week and I was still a big girl too. No matter what I do it seems it's never enough. I think why starve if I'm still going to be fat. I am regretting this surgery already. No food, no cocktails, no fun right now. I have no energy compared to before the surgery. It seems like the trouble is not relative to the results. Or lack thereof. Ok, having said that I also have the other side of me that still sits in denial that this is happening. I must really be losing weight. I hope it's not real. This is NOT happening to me. Then I get positive and try to fight my negative feelings. It's too late now so I just have to keep going but I'd be lying if I said I was happy.

The Protein I the most important. If I get at least 80 grams a day I will loose a little. If I get less than 60 I won't loose a thing. Also the protein is what gives you energy and helps prevent Hair loss. I know it can be hard. But I make one shake that is 50 grams of protein and gag it down before I can eat anything else. I take my time and hold my breath but the faster I get done with that the sooner I can eat something yummy like eggs, yogurt, or turkey burger. Those butterball turkey burgers are 31 grams of protein and I can have half for lunch and half for dinner. Also I have discovered through research that the ones who had to fight to loose anything and took longer, actually kept the weight off. While the ones who's body melted over night ended up gaining most of it back. So that is what keeps me positive for my long term success. It isn't about how fast I loose, so long as it comes off and stays off!!! You can do it just remember the tortious and the hare dde0a

Great post-thank you!

So sorry. Really. It just is so frustrating isn't it. I used to run 3 - 5 miles 4 nights a week and I was still a big girl too. No matter what I do it seems it's never enough. I think why starve if I'm still going to be fat. I am regretting this surgery already. No food, no cocktails, no fun right now. I have no energy compared to before the surgery. It seems like the trouble is not relative to the results. Or lack thereof. Ok, having said that I also have the other side of me that still sits in denial that this is happening. I must really be losing weight. I hope it's not real. This is NOT happening to me. Then I get positive and try to fight my negative feelings. It's too late now so I just have to keep going but I'd be lying if I said I was happy.

I wish you lived near me. We feel the same. . I keep saying" I wasn't that big, why did I do this" I miss everything. I don't drink, smoke, eat. I used to be bubbly. . Now I'm boring lol

The Protein I the most important. If I get at least 80 grams a day I will loose a little. If I get less than 60 I won't loose a thing. Also the Protein is what gives you energy and helps prevent hair loss. I know it can be hard. But I make one shake that is 50 grams of protein and gag it down before I can eat anything else. I take my time and hold my breath but the faster I get done with that the sooner I can eat something yummy like eggs, yogurt, or turkey burger. Those butterball turkey burgers are 31 grams of protein and I can have half for lunch and half for dinner. Also I have discovered through research that the ones who had to fight to loose anything and took longer, actually kept the weight off. While the ones who's body melted over night ended up gaining most of it back. So that is what keeps me positive for my long term success. It isn't about how fast I loose, so long as it comes off and stays off!!! You can do it just remember the tortious and the hare dde0a

Great post! I'm at week 4 and have not lost at all this week. I've been getting about 60- 70 grams of protein in a day, but I'll try for 80 to see if it helps. Before this week, I was loosing 1-2 lbs a day, so when it stopped and one day I gained 2 lbs, I couldn't believe it! I know I shouldn't weigh every morning, but I can't help it. I'm so excited and anxious too see the fat melt away. I guess I just had high expectations and am impatient. Lol. Anyways thanks for the tips and protein suggestions. Also, thanks everyone for all your posts and advice. Oh and I've heard of a three week stall... Has anyone else heard or experienced this? I hope it doesn't last too much longer (I can't help my impatience!)

Edited by lynetta

Hi! I am 13 months post op RNY and have been stalled for six months. I started my journey at 272 pounds and have weighed 177 (give or take three pounds depending on the time of the month) since September. I hydrate, count calories,drink Protein, run full marathons for goodness sake, and I feel like I have fought for every single pound that I have lost. I am now 27 pounds from the goal that my surgeon set and am stuck. I really want to hit goal but I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

Hi! I am 13 months post op RNY and have been stalled for six months. I started my journey at 272 pounds and have weighed 177 (give or take three pounds depending on the time of the month) since September. I hydrate, count calories,drink Protein, run full marathons for goodness sake, and I feel like I have fought for every single pound that I have lost. I am now 27 pounds from the goal that my surgeon set and am stuck. I really want to hit goal but I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

If you're able to run marathons, is weight honestly holding you back anymore? Maybe at this point, with all the exercise and training you must do, body fat percentage could be a better goal than a specific weight number.

That said, my dietician preaches on portion size ans Protein. 1/3C meal size forever, with increased frequency depending upon physical activity, and 80+ grams of protein a day and half that in carbohydrates.

And I must say, when I am able to keep myself to this plan, I lose.

Mind you, I'm 6 months out and the entire time have averaged a 2-3lb a week weight loss even in the very early days. I wish sometimes I could be a fast loser and be at the 100lb mark by now, but my body disagrees. For me, fitness goals are going to be a much bigger part of weight loss than the actual weight loss. Just the way it is.

Thanks for the tip about 1/3c meal size. I had not heard of that approach. I also haven't tried to get 80 grams of Protein a day. My nut pushed 60.I will shoot for these numbers and see what happens.

The weight isn't holding me back in regular life any more but it is still an issue in my new found sport of running. My BMI is at 29, no longer obese, but still over weight. I would just feel better and preform more comfortably if I could get closer to goal. I just don't want my journey to end with me still overweight. It had been a very rough year and I want to be healthy.

I wish you lived near me. We feel the same. . I keep saying" I wasn't that big, why did I do this" I miss everything. I don't drink, smoke, eat. I used to be bubbly. . Now I'm boring lol

We really can relate can't we!

It's funny how there are a lot of slow losers out there, but we think we're the only ones in this situation. That's what I love about these boards, you can always find support from others in the same boat. Melisa, I sure hope you're right about slow losers being the ones to keep the weight off better long term. That would make us all pretty lucky in the long run. Good luck and God bless you all!

Hi all I'm so glad this thread has been useful and a support for people.

I haven't posted for a while as I've had nothing new to say but I have officially moved from slow loser to 'no' loser.

The RNY just hasn't worked for me and today, my surgeon says that he thinks my stoma is too big and therefore food is going straight down my throat and into the intestine.

It's nice to have an answer but I have no options for treatment as yet as they need to consult further. I've had my little spell of tears and tomorrow I'll start researching what can be done. Feeling pretty darn deflated.

Hi all I'm so glad this thread has been useful and a support for people. I haven't posted for a while as I've had nothing new to say but I have officially moved from slow loser to 'no' loser. The RNY just hasn't worked for me and today, my surgeon says that he thinks my stoma is too big and therefore food is going straight down my throat and into the intestine. It's nice to have an answer but I have no options for treatment as yet as they need to consult further. I've had my little spell of tears and tomorrow I'll start researching what can be done. Feeling pretty darn deflated.

Oh no! That's what we all fear- the RNY not working. Please keep us posted as you work through your options.

Hi all I'm so glad this thread has been useful and a support for people. I haven't posted for a while as I've had nothing new to say but I have officially moved from slow loser to 'no' loser. The RNY just hasn't worked for me and today, my surgeon says that he thinks my stoma is too big and therefore food is going straight down my throat and into the intestine. It's nice to have an answer but I have no options for treatment as yet as they need to consult further. I've had my little spell of tears and tomorrow I'll start researching what can be done. Feeling pretty darn deflated.

Having too large if a stomach can cause very little or no weight loss because your body never thinks you are feeding it and it kicks into starvation mode, which is all together a bad mode for your body. I would try switching it up and do 2 weeks of the puréed foods( try not to eat carbs, or keep them only one meal and very small) and Protein Drinks (at least 70grams daily) and see if you start back up getting ride of those lbs. hopefully they won't have to go back in and recreate a smaller stoma. However If that is what they feel needs to get done, then I wish you the best of luck and hopefully whichever way it goes you stay strong and lose on!!!!

Gemstone. I'm so sorry. I'm glad you know what might be the culprit but sorry this happened to you. Hopefully they can figure it out, fix it and you'll be on your way. Please keep us posted on your progress.