Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Slow Losers Thread

Hi guys. There are a few threads on here where people are talking about how slowly they think they're losing, compared to others. Of course, we're all different, we all start at different weights and we all do some things differently (calorie intake, exercise etc).

And I don't mean to start this thread so we can compare ourselves to others, that's not the point. But rather, this could be a thread where we can keep encouraging each other and people who are worried they're not losing as fast can see and be reassured they're not alone :-)

I think it's so interesting that our nuts/docs aren't worried and tell us how they've heard it all before and it will happen etc. It's reassuring but also kind of weird - what do they know that we don't? Lol.

I know that if I continue to lose at 1 lb a week, I'll be where I want to be this time next year. I can handle that, especially as I don't feel deprived and I don't feel like I'm dieting.

If you are losing slowly, please know that you're not the only one and please post your feelings :-) Lx

I'm one of those that has stalled at 6 months out. I had Gastric Bypass Jan of this year and have lost 50 lbs and have 45 lbs to go. Can't get below the 200 lb mark--so frustrating!! Main problem I don't have dumping and I don't get full feeling and I don't have problems with any type of food. Any suggestions?

What do your team say? I'm only six weeks out but so far the only thing my pouch doesn't like is milk and I seem to have very little restriction. I told them this on Monday and they said it was normal and not to worry :-/

I have lost a little more weight and I'm now 10lbs down from morning of surgery ( 4 weeks ago). My surgeon and nut both told me earlier in the week that I should see my weight loss begin to increase each week. They mentioned also the staircase analogy.....loss, stall , loss , stall as being completely normal. My surgeon gave me alot of reassurance and said " in 12 months time you WILL look and feel like a new person - you will lose significant weight". I was even asking him questions around pouch size and roux limb length...lol....he was great. I think he found it almost amusing I was so worried I had only lost 10lbs in 4 weeks.

That's great Rach. Some days I believe the weight loss will come. At other moments, like now, I lose faith a little :-(

Edited by UK-RNY (Prev. Sleever)

So I'm 9 months and 60 pounds...sounds okay but over the last 5 months I've lost 10 pounds....I'm averaging 2 pounds a month at this point with about 40 pounds to go (though I'll be okay with 25). My theory is this, I feel good, I eat what I want just smaller portions, I exercise 2-3 days a week, moderately (and sometimes I skip!) I am comfortable, do not feel deprived or like I'm forcing this to happen. It just is sort of coming off naturally. (Well as naturally as I can being post RNY!). I can easily maintain my current lifestyle therefore I should be able to easily maintain the weight loss I experience. I'm okay with this! I expected to be closer to goal by now, I have counterparts that have lost well over 100 pounds during the same timeframe with similar stats....oh well! This is what I've got and I'll take it!!!

That's great Rach. Some days I believe the weight loss will come. At other moments, like now, I lose faith a little :-(

I think our pre rny lives and experiences have made us form these opinions of what will or won't happen. I totally understand where you're at. I think once I surpass my lowest adult (and teenage) weight ever (205lbs), I may start to believe in my surgery. Everyday when I wake up now I tell myself to have faith and choose to be positive about this journey. Worrying will not help us..only hinder us emotionally/psychologically and that will in turn affect our progress.

Easier said than done thou! All the memories of my prior struggles haunt me!!

My next weigh in will be on Monday 2nd December and I'm hoping for a 2lb loss as that'll be two weeks since I last weighed. I feel that I'll know a bit more what I'm dealing with after that. If it's not 2lb, I'm going to worry that it isn't going to work :-/

Edited by UK-RNY (Prev. Sleever)

Hi! I had RNY Dec 28, 2012 and have lost 92 pounds, but I am 30 pounds away from the goal weight that my doctor set for me. I stalled about two months ago and can't seem to get the scale moving again. I run, cycle, lift weights and stay active almost all day but nothing helps. I was hoping to be close to goal before my one year surgeversiary art the end of next month. Any suggestions?

I've been stalled for over three weeks now, I think. When I went in to see my surgeon on 11/5/13 he had me, or wants me, to continue only with Protein and Fluid until March. I'm not losing as fast as actually didn't have that much to lose per him. So he states it will be slower, but I can do it. I have to believe him because this is what I want most to get down to goal. I will admit if I would exercise more I probably wouldn't be in a stall. The best thing though I did lose 25 more pounds since surgery on 9/11/13. Plus I'm loving the new me.

I am stalling myself I had surgery on the 9/30/13 and it's my week 7 I lost about 50 pounds and I work out almost everyday it's frustrating for me because I want to loose 60 more any advise

I am stalling myself I had surgery on the 9/30/13 and it's my week 7 I lost about 50 pounds and I work out almost everyday it's frustrating for me because I want to loose 60 more any advise

so, I'll make stretch here and you are averaging losing a pound a day...that pretty freaking phenomenal. Your body is adapting to some huge changes...relax and give it time. (PS I've lost 60 in 9 months....enjoy your success)

50 lbs in 7 weeks?? Incredible! Congrats :-)