Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Did You Think About It Before You Decided?

My good friend told me in August of 2012 that she had started the WLS process with her PCP and that she had a visit scheduled with the surgeon. After she met with him she had to jump through 6-8 months of hoops with her insurance but she was a shoo-in with her BMI and comorbidities. She got approved in late April and scheduled her surgery for early June.

In July I called for my first appointment, which was early in August. My insurance was far less complicated and I sailed through the requirements. By October 2nd we were ready to submit, I had approval in a week, and surgery on October 24.

When I went in in August, VSG was sort of vague to me. My friend had explained it to me but I didn't really understand it. After I met with the surgeon I realized it made the most sense to me. They wanted to do a band, but after I thought about it and did my own research, I requested that we change our plans to the sleeve. No regrets.

A month before my 18th birthday, my MD asked if I had ever thought about having a surgery, to help me lose weight. I said I had thought about it, but only for a moment. I went home, and done a ton of research. I began my process starting my 18th birthday. This year, I turned 20. I had my VSG on 10/24/13 and so far, it's been one of the best choices for my health.

It happened after my sweet nephew asked me if the reason I couldn't jump on the trampoline was because I was fat. The very next day I called the hospital I knew I wanted WLS at and scheduled myself for an orientation. My surgeon was the one the convinced me the sleeve was the best choice. I knew I could cancel anytime, so I took the next couple months while meeting my insurance requirements to think it over.

Had first appointment end of March, surgery end of April - and I could have had it sooner if I wanted. I had a friend who had had the surgery two years before so had watched her journey and probably learned a lot. So a decision wasn't difficult. And no regrets now...

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories with me. I decided to do it about a week ago and I've been submerged in research ever since. I'm excited for first time in a LONG time and actually feel something akin to hope! You've been so helpful, thank you!

I'm a new forum postee, so if this is in the wrong catagory feel free to point me in the right direction.

Wondering how long you thought about getting VSG before you decided to do it. I've decided on VSG, but I've only been thinking about it a short time. I've done a lot of research so far and plan on doing more so that I'm well informed and safe... Plus I'm a self-pay so I'll have to start saving, built-in pondering time I suppose.

Just curious if I'm the only one who decided pretty quickly that it was the right thing for me. I'm a single mom; I've been overweight since I graduated, freshman 15 or 50 or whatever. I've lost and gained a variety of ways including good ol' diet and exercise and I plan to continue being active, but I need more control that I don't feel I can self-impose I guess.

It's great to find a community of people that support unconditionally. I've only told a few people of my desire and from their reactions, I'll be limiting the future "bean-spillage" to close family.

Thanks for your lovin!

I made the decision at 2 AM, literally. I got up to go to the bathroom and decided then. That was Dec 2009, I started researching the lapband the following morning, I couldn't wait to start reading. It didn't take long for me to change my mind on WHAT surgery to have. The sleeve, forced Portion Control, that is what I needed. I wanted to read everything I could and I was cash pay, so I had to deal with that. I had to find a doctor in Texas and make arrangements. Everything fell into place and I had surgery six months later. I really was ready in four months, but I already had a beach house rented for recovery.....but that's ok, it was worth the wait and I was more than prepared.

Oh my...a beach house! I like the way you think!! *love*

My surgeon was my client for over 4 years before I had the surgery. Honestly, he really pissed me off as he would say things like, you would be a perfect candidate for wls. Wtf??? Who just comes out and says that? Anyway over the years I came to realize he is one of those intellectuals that spend more time in books and less time socializing. Lol... about two years ago he got me into the seminar. That definitely sparked my interest, so I spent almost two years after that researching and being in denial. This summer my family went on a hike on vacation and I couldn't keep up... had to keep stopping. .. the day we got back I went straight to his office. He happened to be in the front office. He noticed me, stopped talking and pointed at me. It was really awkward so I just laughed! He said, 'your gonna be great' then continued on with his conversion. .. so in short, almist two years :)

For more than 20 years I avoided WLS thinking "I could do this myself." And I did -- losing and gaining the same 40-50 pounds over and over and over again. Several years ago my endocrinologist talked to me about lapband, but I wasn't interested in something left inside of me. Then last fall I read about the sleeve, went to an informational seminar within a week, and then talked to my internist. She referred me to a surgeon that she liked, and I had my surgery in May 2013. Best thing I ever did, but I am glad I waited until I found a surgery that worked for me.

I saw an ad for an introductory session, attended and decided right then that I would have the lap band. After a few days of research it became clear the sleeve was a better choice for me. There was no hesitation on my part.

I thought about it for years. I knew i liked the idea of the sleeve but that wasn't an option for my insurance til this year. Once it was allowed, it was 3 month from first meeting to surgery

It took me about ten minutes to make up my mind. For years I thought 22 was way too young. I thought I had to wait til 30 at least! But with the constant struggle of weight issues, plus the diagnosis of needing a disc fusion surgery in my back at 22 years old, I was sold when the doctor even brought up the idea.

Plus, my mom had the lap band about 2-3 years ago and did great. And they say getting sleeved is so much easier and less side effects. I didn't take long at all to decide.