Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP PLEEEEZE! Mexico or Denver?

Lap Dancer: Several years ago I had some plastic surgery in Orlando. When my doctor found out that it wasn't a procedure covered by my insurance, he cut the bill in half! I was in shock for a while over that one! So it can happen in the states too, but probably not as often. U.S. docs have to pay so much malpractice insurance, plus staffing their offices and all that entails, there just isn't as much to play with as in some other countries.

I wonder if you could call the U.S. doctor and tell them your delimma and ask if there is ever a case where he does some cutting and snipping of costs.

Already tried that. The US doctors said that they COULD not do the surgery for less than 15,500. That was the absolute LOWEST price I could find. Except for Kirshenbaum. He was 9,950. Plus throw in the flight, and that brings it back up to 10,550. Not bad if you HAVE that money.

I have researched Dr. Ariel Ortiz, and decided that he is a very reputable and experienced Dr, and his facilities are brand new, state of the art.

He trained most of the US docs, and also wrote the book "Lapband for Life" and he graduated from Harvard University. He is going to do my surgery for 8,000. He is ASBS, FACS, and was the first DR in the world to become a Proctor surgeon in Canada, Philipines, and the US. Recognized by Inamed as a top surgeon, and he has even proctored Drs. in my state (Iowa) as lap band surgeons. He himself has done more than 4,000 lap band surgeries.

Have only heard wonderful things about him, so I'm completely comfortable with having him do this. Plus his assistant has set me up with a local Dr. here who will do my fills, and consultations. 175 per fill with flouroscopy. If I had it in CO, I'd still have to pay that, or fly back to Denver everytime. Flight and surgery MX will cost me 8,500.

I feel pretty good about my decision.:)

Donna

He is going to do my surgery for 8,000.

Hi Sparkette,

I have made my decision a couple months ago to have surgery with Dr. Ortiz. I have researched alot about him and the people that have had their lap band surgery with him. He and his staff sound awesome! Would be a nice vacation for me too.

You mentioned their price for surgery is 8,000 now instead of 8,500? Are they running a special right now? I have tried to email Lori to ask about that, but I guess she is on vacation.

I am trying to withdraw my 401k to pay for the surgery. The holdup right now is I need my doctor to write up a letter for me stating I need this surgery and that I have a medical financial hardship that is keeping me from any other options to finance it. Unfortunately, my doctor is only in the office wed. thru fri.

Thanks and good luck with your decision and journey to get banded.

Judy

Way to go Donna! You've done your research and come up with a decision that is a perfect solution for you. Good job! Keep us posted.

I hope that this forum has helped in some way... if for no other reason than you were able to talk openly about your concerns and options.

Donna you did the best thing in all---made a decision YOU are happy and comfortable with. When I finally made my decision, a peace settled over me, it was such a relief, that I just knew somehow it was the right one!

Many times others try to sway you one way or another, for months it seems it is the question to have the surgery or not...then the question changes to who to do the surgery, ot where---isn't it a relief to know YOU researched it, and YOU made the decision YOU are happy with?!!! Way to Go!!!!

Good Luck!!!

Kat

My vote is for Mexico too. They flew me right into Mexico. My surgery was 8000.00 incuding everything and I contacted my surgeon at 3:00 am twice by cellphone and he answers it not an answering service. Free fills for life but I chose Dr. Curry for aftercare and he is fabulous. He has a good deal on surgery too but I already had mine done when I found him on O.H.

Thanks everyone!! I really did get a lot of help from all of you, and I appreciate it!!:)

My surgery date is APRIL 3rd!!!!! I'm so excited I can't hardly contain myself!!!!

Donna

He is going to do my surgery for 8,000.

Hi Sparkette,

I have made my decision a couple months ago to have surgery with Dr. Ortiz. I have researched alot about him and the people that have had their lap band surgery with him. He and his staff sound awesome! Would be a nice vacation for me too.

You mentioned their price for surgery is 8,000 now instead of 8,500? Are they running a special right now? I have tried to email Lori to ask about that, but I guess she is on vacation.

I am trying to withdraw my 401k to pay for the surgery. The holdup right now is I need my doctor to write up a letter for me stating I need this surgery and that I have a medical financial hardship that is keeping me from any other options to finance it. Unfortunately, my doctor is only in the office wed. thru fri.

Thanks and good luck with your decision and journey to get banded.

Judy

Judy, if you have referred someone else to him, or are having someone come with you to get the surgery also, you can get the 500 dollar discount. Atleast that is how they explained it to me a couple of months ago. She told me a few days ago that the offer still stands, maybe because she told me that months ago, or it may be something they just always do. Doesnt hurt to check, if you know someone else who wants to have it done!:)

Donna

Congrats on your decision. My surgery is this Friday with Dr. Ortiz and I am very excited. Good luck to all!

Stacy

Stacy, please DO keep in touch! I want to know EVERY DETAIL when you get back!!!! LOL Aren't you EXCITED?????? Good Luck!

Donna

Donna you did the best thing in all---made a decision YOU are happy and comfortable with. When I finally made my decision, a peace settled over me, it was such a relief, that I just knew somehow it was the right one!

Many times others try to sway you one way or another, for months it seems it is the question to have the surgery or not...then the question changes to who to do the surgery, ot where---isn't it a relief to know YOU researched it, and YOU made the decision YOU are happy with?!!! Way to Go!!!!

Good Luck!!!

Kat

Kat, I know EXACTLY what you mean!! Felt like a weight lifted off my shoulders when I finally set a date! Now I'm so excited, I just want to GET THERE!!! LOL

Donna

Hi, Sparkette, Stacy, Kat and anyone I missed,

I got a lot of support from this thread. Stacy, you are headed down to Dr. Ortiz for surgery this Friday March 16th. I am right behind you. I will go down on the 19th for surgery the 20th and Donna, you are right behind me on Apr 3rd. I will be watching the board eagerly to hear your experiences. I, too, went through a lot (insurance was going to cover, then employer changed insurance carrier which excludes) to choose Dr. Ortiz. I am comfortable with this choice, but still, of course, nervous, excited, the whole nine yards. So, just wanted to say, have a good, safe journey, vaya con Dios and we will "see" each other soon, banded.

AMRDMR