Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please ... Has Anyone Here Suffered Esophageal Spasms After The Sleeve?

I had my sleeve on 5/21/12. I've lost 128 pounds to date. I have very bad GERD and the worst part is esophageal spasms. They are taking over my life! They are so painful and they feel like a heart attack. I've been having them daily and usually wake up around 4 am with this terrible pain in my ears, then throat, chest, and right side where my sleeve is. These things will throw you down on your knees they hurt so bad. I'm on Levsin that I put under my tongue when they happen to help relieve them. I've never experience anything like this. My surgeon thinks they could be caused from GERD. I'm not so sure. I was scheduled for a Bravo Capsule endoscope on Monday and a Manometry on Wed and I've decided to back out of both. I've read where the capsule can damage the esophagus and could get lodged in the intestines when it falls off the esophagus in 7 days if you're lucky. Sometimes it doesn't fall off and there it is stuck and causing more problems. I just can't take the chance, I know I have GERD and all this test does is measure how much acid I have in my stomach over a 24 hour period. Nahhh I think I will just not do it. I'm tired . Sick and tired of these test!!! I'm more sick of the spasms that feel like labor pains and then leave me drained and sore.

Well, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The surgeon wants to revise me to RNY but I absolutely do not want to do it. I guess I will take my chances and see if something else can be done. I know that gastroenterologist will use botox to stop the spasms but I'm scared to go to someone who isn't familiar with the sleeve but I'm not trusting my surgeon either right now. He is so busy and he just heards people in and out like cattle.

Ok, well if anyone has had experience with these horrid things, please respond!

Thank you!

I just was sleeved in October 2013. I had a bravo chip endo in August and a manometry test the following week. If I were you I would reschedule these tests to help find an answer. The manometry test is not pleasant but tolerable. Worst part for me was getting the tube past my swollen sinus cavities. The results from my two tests were helpful in getting the insurance company to approve my surgery early.

I had one spasm with my esophagus after surgery and that was 4 days post op when I swallowed a pill I had not cut up small enough. You are correct, it did hurt a lot.

I just was sleeved in October 2013. I had a bravo chip endo in August and a manometry test the following week. If I were you I would reschedule these tests to help find an answer. The manometry test is not pleasant but tolerable. Worst part for me was getting the tube past my swollen sinus cavities. The results from my two tests were helpful in getting the insurance company to approve my surgery early.

I had one spasm with my esophagus after surgery and that was 4 days post op when I swallowed a pill I had not cut up small enough. You are correct, it did hurt a lot.

I had my surgery on 5/21/12. I've had an upper GI and 3 EGD's. I was diagnosed with bile reflux and gastritis caused from the sleeve surgery. I really don't think I need those other two test. I had GERD before but not near as bad as I do now after the sleeve. I hope you did not have GERD before the sleeve because it will get worse. My spasms are in my chest and feel like a heart attack and can last from 15 minutes to hours. I am so thankful though that I haven't had one in over a week but I still can't sleep on my sides. I know if I do, they will surely come.

Congrats on your surgery. I've had great success with weight loss I just wish I didn't have these problems. I have to be thankful though because some have a lot more severe problems.

Thank you for commenting about the test. I think though the Bravo test after sleeve has a higher chance of getting stuck because of the sleeve being so narrow.