Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did not have this surgery to give up food forever!

I'm with Butter, Laura and GG..... While I'm only 2 months out, I still pretty stick to my eating plan, I enjoy good food. Went to Bahamas Breeze yesterday...had the fish tacos with a side of fresh fruit.... I just didn't eat the flour tortillas. Actually I couldn't have anyway cuz I was full. Didn't finish the fruit either. So many people I have talked with weight regain all have said that it just started with a bite of this and taste of that. It come down to knowing yourself. Your triggers. There are foods I love that I had to kiss goodbye forever, cuz I know one bite is not enough. There are other foods that I can be a be more moderate on, once I get to goal that is. For now, no way. My goal is GOAL. I'm not craving, jonesing , begging or pleading. I get up and make a good healthy plan. I'm not doing this again! 45 yrs of dieting is enough. I guess I just finally 'grew up' when it came to food and eating. I listen to the wisdom of the successful old timers...I'm with ya guys!

Edited by Peggy 53

Well, I was definitely a "everything in moderation" kind of girl. I got the sleeve to quit dieting. Yep, no counting calories for me, I wanted to be a "normal person". So, after about eighteen months out, I let myself have that cookie, or that half a bacon cheeseburger. After all, my tummy is still tiny and it would be impossible for me to gain weight again. Heck, how could having regular dressing instead of low fat on my salad possibly hurt me, I have a tiny tummy?

Well, let me share the truth with you. I thought and believed exactly everything you were saying. Heck, I bet if you search back far enough, you will find old posts with me saying the exact same thing as you. Guess what, I'm a foodie, always have been, always will be. And those few chips you ate, well, you didn't see any fluctuation on the scale, and they tasted so darn good that next time you eat a few more than last. Then, one day you get on the scale and realize you have gained a few pounds. Oh well, I can take that off easy, my sleeve is still here working for me. But, first, I have that party this week, so I'll worry about doing what I know I need to do next week. Then, wow, why do my pants feel tight? It's okay, with my sleeve if will be easy to lose a few extra pounds. But, not right now because - insert excuse here.

Now, a year later here I sit with tears in my eyes reading your post because you sound just like me and I am so afraid you will end up like me. You know what the worst is, if you are an administrator of a forum and a health advisor who helps others lose weight. It is humiliating. I have gone from a size eight back up to a fourteen, and am dangerously close to those damn fourteens being too tight. I now have 40 pounds to lose because I had the same attitude as you. And as each pound came on, I convinced myself I could lose it easily and would, starting next week. Believe me, it is not anywhere as easy to lose this weight at four years out as it was the first year. When I was 300 pounds, it didn't bother me anywhere near as much as the weight I am at now, even though my current weight is significantly less than 300. Because now, I have been thin. I remember how good it felt. I felt sexy for the first time in my life. I felt good about who I was. I became self confident and outgoing. Now, I have gone back to the old me, trying to hide from the world. All I think about is how good I felt two years ago and how angry I am at myself now. You have no idea how many tears I have cried over this. Don't do that to yourself. Don't let that one treat turn into many. Establish good habits now and do not let yourself stray for them, because once you do, it is a slippery slope my friend.

Fortunately, my Bill is an amazing man. He is a personal trainer and nutritionist. He saw what was happening, but knows me well enough to know that until I acknowledged it, owned it and the time was right, it wouldn't do him any good to try and help me because I only would have pushed him away. But, two weeks ago I reached my breaking point. I sat down and cried in his arms for over an hour. With his help, I am back working out and eating healthy again. I bought a body media fit and am pushing myself to burn calories and watch every bite that goes in my mouth. I know this isn't going to be easy, but I am going to do it, again. I have to completely retrain myself and once again lose those old habits because I thought just one of this or substituting that just once in a while wouldn't hurt me. It does, we got fat because we love food and don't have good willpower over that love. It is going to be a battle the rest of your life. During the honeymoon phase where the weight is just falling off, you don't believe you will ever be fat again. Guess what, you can and will if you don't fully commit to good eating habits for the rest of your life.

So, Butter isn't being a hardass, he is being smart. Listen to him. He knows what he is talking about. Or, don't listen to him, and in two years find yourself sitting on your couch crying because you are reading a post from someone who was exactly like you used to be and you know they will be the next one who has gained weight and wondered how the hell that could have happened when I have the sleeve?

Why did you even comment on this post if your just going to be negative? I'm sorry that I have a realistic view on my eating habits' date=' Isnt this website here so that we can vent and talk to one another? and not in a negative way![/quote']

So I say this with respect and caring. We have many members here with many views. Often when you post on here, you will hear two, three, or more viewpoints. That isn't negativity, it's just people sharing what worked for them. That's part of sharing here, accepting that not everyone will see things the same way.

Sometimes we do want just support and affirmation. Sometimes we screw up and we know it, sometimes we're having a bad day and want to vent. In those cases, it's perfectly legitimate to ask for support and no lectures, or request that people who don't agree with you don't respond, and it seems to me, people do respect those requests. There are some threads here that terrify me with how they support dangerous behavior, but the OPs have asked for no contradictions so many people stay out of those threads.

I think many readers interpreted your post as asking for information. Why? Why could one not eat everything in moderation? And we all answered based on our experience or our biases.

Again I say this with respect, but when people share what they can, they're taking time to help the poster, and getting mad at them, saying they don't seem to understand the intent of your thread, kind of dismisses the time they took to help you.

I hope I'm not coming across as harsh, I don't mean to. I'm just saying, one can have a different opinion without it being negativity. Thanks for reading :)

Well' date=' I was definitely a "everything in moderation" kind of girl. I got the sleeve to quit dieting. Yep, no counting calories for me, I wanted to be a "normal person". So, after about eighteen months out, I let myself have that cookie, or that half a bacon cheeseburger. After all, my tummy is still tiny and it would be impossible for me to gain weight again. Heck, how could having regular dressing instead of low fat on my salad possibly hurt me, I have a tiny tummy? Well, let me share the truth with you. I thought and believed exactly everything you were saying. Heck, I bet if you search back far enough, you will find old posts with me saying the exact same thing as you. Guess what, I'm a foodie, always have been, always will be. And those few chips you ate, well, you didn't see any fluctuation on the scale, and they tasted so darn good that next time you eat a few more than last. Then, one day you get on the scale and realize you have gained a few pounds. Oh well, I can take that off easy, my sleeve is still here working for me. But, first, I have that party this week, so I'll worry about doing what I know I need to do next week. Then, wow, why do my pants feel tight? It's okay, with my sleeve if will be easy to lose a few extra pounds. But, not right now because - insert excuse here. Now, a year later here I sit with tears in my eyes reading your post because you sound just like me and I am so afraid you will end up like me. You know what the worst is, if you are an administrator of a forum and a health advisor who helps others lose weight. It is humiliating. I have gone from a size eight back up to a fourteen, and am dangerously close to those damn fourteens being too tight. I now have 40 pounds to lose because I had the same attitude as you. And as each pound came on, I convinced myself I could lose it easily and would, starting next week. Believe me, it is not anywhere as easy to lose this weight at four years out as it was the first year. When I was 300 pounds, it didn't bother me anywhere near as much as the weight I am at now, even though my current weight is significantly less than 300. Because now, I have been thin. I remember how good it felt. I felt sexy for the first time in my life. I felt good about who I was. I became self confident and outgoing. Now, I have gone back to the old me, trying to hide from the world. All I think about is how good I felt two years ago and how angry I am at myself now. You have no idea how many tears I have cried over this. Don't do that to yourself. Don't let that one treat turn into many. Establish good habits now and do not let yourself stray for them, because once you do, it is a slippery slope my friend. Fortunately, my Bill is an amazing man. He is a personal trainer and nutritionist. He saw what was happening, but knows me well enough to know that until I acknowledged it, owned it and the time was right, it wouldn't do him any good to try and help me because I only would have pushed him away. But, two weeks ago I reached my breaking point. I sat down and cried in his arms for over an hour. With his help, I am back working out and eating healthy again. I bought a body media fit and am pushing myself to burn calories and watch every bite that goes in my mouth. I know this isn't going to be easy, but I am going to do it, again. I have to completely retrain myself and once again lose those old habits because I thought just one of this or substituting that just once in a while wouldn't hurt me. It does, we got fat because we love food and don't have good willpower over that love. It is going to be a battle the rest of your life. During the honeymoon phase where the weight is just falling off, you don't believe you will ever be fat again. Guess what, you can and will if you don't fully commit to good eating habits for the rest of your life. So, Butter isn't being a hardass, he is being smart. Listen to him. He knows what he is talking about. Or, don't listen to him, and in two years find yourself sitting on your couch crying because you are reading a post from someone who was exactly like you used to be and you know they will be the next one who has gained weight and wondered how the hell that could have happened when I have the sleeve?[/quote']

Love to you Susan....

Well' date=' I was definitely a "everything in moderation" kind of girl. I got the sleeve to quit dieting. Yep, no counting calories for me, I wanted to be a "normal person". So, after about eighteen months out, I let myself have that cookie, or that half a bacon cheeseburger. After all, my tummy is still tiny and it would be impossible for me to gain weight again. Heck, how could having regular dressing instead of low fat on my salad possibly hurt me, I have a tiny tummy? Well, let me share the truth with you. I thought and believed exactly everything you were saying. Heck, I bet if you search back far enough, you will find old posts with me saying the exact same thing as you. Guess what, I'm a foodie, always have been, always will be. And those few chips you ate, well, you didn't see any fluctuation on the scale, and they tasted so darn good that next time you eat a few more than last. Then, one day you get on the scale and realize you have gained a few pounds. Oh well, I can take that off easy, my sleeve is still here working for me. But, first, I have that party this week, so I'll worry about doing what I know I need to do next week. Then, wow, why do my pants feel tight? It's okay, with my sleeve if will be easy to lose a few extra pounds. But, not right now because - insert excuse here. Now, a year later here I sit with tears in my eyes reading your post because you sound just like me and I am so afraid you will end up like me. You know what the worst is, if you are an administrator of a forum and a health advisor who helps others lose weight. It is humiliating. I have gone from a size eight back up to a fourteen, and am dangerously close to those damn fourteens being too tight. I now have 40 pounds to lose because I had the same attitude as you. And as each pound came on, I convinced myself I could lose it easily and would, starting next week. Believe me, it is not anywhere as easy to lose this weight at four years out as it was the first year. When I was 300 pounds, it didn't bother me anywhere near as much as the weight I am at now, even though my current weight is significantly less than 300. Because now, I have been thin. I remember how good it felt. I felt sexy for the first time in my life. I felt good about who I was. I became self confident and outgoing. Now, I have gone back to the old me, trying to hide from the world. All I think about is how good I felt two years ago and how angry I am at myself now. You have no idea how many tears I have cried over this. Don't do that to yourself. Don't let that one treat turn into many. Establish good habits now and do not let yourself stray for them, because once you do, it is a slippery slope my friend. Fortunately, my Bill is an amazing man. He is a personal trainer and nutritionist. He saw what was happening, but knows me well enough to know that until I acknowledged it, owned it and the time was right, it wouldn't do him any good to try and help me because I only would have pushed him away. But, two weeks ago I reached my breaking point. I sat down and cried in his arms for over an hour. With his help, I am back working out and eating healthy again. I bought a body media fit and am pushing myself to burn calories and watch every bite that goes in my mouth. I know this isn't going to be easy, but I am going to do it, again. I have to completely retrain myself and once again lose those old habits because I thought just one of this or substituting that just once in a while wouldn't hurt me. It does, we got fat because we love food and don't have good willpower over that love. It is going to be a battle the rest of your life. During the honeymoon phase where the weight is just falling off, you don't believe you will ever be fat again. Guess what, you can and will if you don't fully commit to good eating habits for the rest of your life. So, Butter isn't being a hardass, he is being smart. Listen to him. He knows what he is talking about. Or, don't listen to him, and in two years find yourself sitting on your couch crying because you are reading a post from someone who was exactly like you used to be and you know they will be the next one who has gained weight and wondered how the hell that could have happened when I have the sleeve?[/quote']

Wow what a great post! Thank you so much for taking the time Susan. For those of us early on out, it's really helpful to know what to watch for.

You're not destined for grilled chicken and veggies for life, lol.

Your sleeve is what you make it, it is only a tool.

I can comfortably eat mcdonalds, Chinese food, tacos, ice cream, chips, Cookies, smoothies, deep fried twinkies, etc.

Have I tried all of those foods, yes, I, like you, wanted to find out if I was destined to be restricted for the rest of my life.

I CHOOSE to eat grilled chicken, cheese, and veggies because I want to. I'm down 132 pounds, and I don't want to gain any of it back. I don't have to eat healthy and stay on this diet. No one is making you do anything.

A sleeve will help with Portion Control, but if you go back to eating junk food, the junk food weight that you lost will come back. Just something to keep in mind.

THIS is what scares me!! Thank you for being brave enough to come on here and post this. And good luck to you. You have done it before, you will do it again.

Guess what' date=' I'm a foodie, always have been, always will be. And those few chips you ate, well, you didn't see any fluctuation on the scale, and they tasted so darn good that next time you eat a few more than last. Then, one day you get on the scale and realize you have gained a few pounds. Oh well, I can take that off easy, my sleeve is still here working for me. But, first, I have that party this week, so I'll worry about doing what I know I need to do next week. Then, wow, why do my pants feel tight? It's okay, with my sleeve if will be easy to lose a few extra pounds. But, not right now because - insert excuse here. [/quote']

This is so true ^ these are the things we do and say to ourselves..

I have really gained a lot following this thread. I too asked myself just earlier today if I will ever again be able enjoy a bite of this or a small piece of that again. But, I am reminded that I had a food addiction and it is what lead me to an operating room table to be gutted like a fish 12 days ago. For me the choice has been made. I personally CHOOSE healthy foods from now on. And, I will devote my time to learning about new spices and seasonings and techniques to make the healthy food just as tasty as the unhealthy foods that put me where I am today. I've seen both sides of the coin and until 8 years ago I was thin and sexy. I can say that nothing tastes as good as I used to feel. Thank you to both sides of this discussion.

Dang' date=' where's the popcorn? ? Whatta show[/quote']

Ha! I'll take some Gummy bears and some cheesy nachos. This is getting good!

Sent from my iPad using VST

I have been on the roller coaster since I was 11. I a 54. Yes I do want to enjoy all my favorite foods. Just little bits. This is a tool for me to have Portion Control.< /p>

Hugs, Susan, and thank you for a great (brave!) post!

I, too, can say I posted almost the same things as the OP around a year out. I totally embrace moderation and do not want to eat on a restrictive diet for the rest of my life.

But guess what? I'm STILL a food addict. I still use food to cope, I still have the ability to binge or overindulge and my sleeve, while it controls my portions (of dense protein!), does not, unfortunately, control my consumption of popcorn, Cookies, chips and basically any other junk food I'd like to eat. And of course, at 3+ years out I know exactly how long I need to wait between meals to eat around my sleeve. So instead of one piece of pizza, I can easily push it and consume two or three if I choose to do it.

There is a very, very thin line to walk if you want to do moderation. Do I eat a piece of candy once in a while? Yep. I'm a baker. Do I eat my own cakes, Cookies and pastries? Yep. But you know what? Maybe six days out of seven it's easy to say no or to eat a small portion. But that seventh day sometimes is a challenge. It's those days you need to watch. They happen to all of us.

So saying you can stop at one now doesn't mean you can stop at one later. My sleeve only helps me eat small portions if I choose to eat the right foods. A whole damn sack of Oreos would fit if I let them!

Regain is far more common than you think. We did not get obese because we couldn't follow a diet short term. We got obese and stayed that way because we have poor habits that are ingrained and incredibly difficult to break. We're champion dieters, but we're not good at maintaining. Nobody here woke up twelve pounds overweight and decided for surgery. Every single one of us has lost and gained on other programs only to wind up here with a sleeve.

So yeah - some folks get a little crazy about restriction and moderation. Because it's more challenging for some people than others, but it's not an easy hurdle for anyone here. How you feel at six months out is way different than even one year out, let alone more than three out like me. Some foods will trigger people and they avoid them for the long haul because of that. And many, many, many people get plain sloppy after a year out. They hit goal, consider themselves done and don't peek around the boards again until they've got a 20 pound regain to work on. Or worse, they never come back.

So yep, caution with moderation for sure. Because those good choices get harder to make and that sleeve only goes so far for you. It used to be 70% sleeve helping me lose. Now it's 70% me keeping me on track - the sleeve only helps me IF I MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

~Cheri

Oh, and it's kind of unfair to post things on a public forum with the expectation that you're only going to get replies that agree with you. Butter might sound negative to you, because you expected a bunch of "Amen!" posts in return. But to me? That's the voice of reason, blunt as he may be. He knows what he's talking about - all of us vets do. It's easy to skip the posts that you don't want to hear because everyone wants rainbows and sparkles and hopes for an easy journey to goal (and of course, a permanent stay there) but we're here precisely to help people with things like this, because it really IS different the farther out you get and if we don't share our experience, you simply won't hear the other side of the story.

Edited by clk

Don't be scared... Use this information.

Yessum, I will...I have a feeling if I don't, you're gonna come find me!!! ;-P ;-)

This might be a stupid question but I am having a hard time understanding this. Why does your sleeve know when you're full when you're having the dence Protein but there's not always that full feeling when you're having Cookies, cakes, etc? I don't understand that. I thought the tool should have been with all foods. I probably would've never got the surgery if I had read these posts before. I want to be able to have a bite of pizza or a bite of macaroni and cheese. Now it just looks like I'm out for failure because there is no way I will be able to not have at least a bite of these in the future. I had talked with a friend who is a year out, and she is pretty much eating whatever she wants, which is healthy, but sometimes she will have Snacks. She is still losing weight. I would thought I would be the same.