Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 9/2001, now must be dis-banded

Hi,

I am 42, 5'8", and used to weigh 220 lbs and rising. Every year was a little more weight, and a little more, and a little more. At age 36 I was sick of being the fat person in my circle of friends. I had a band installed in Monterrey, Mexico in 2001 by Dr. Rumbaut and worked with Dr. Fox in Tacoma, WA afterward for follow up. The weight loss was slow but steady and I got down to 160 and hit a plateau for a year. Then I went through a divorce and the stress caused/helped me lose more weight and got down to 145. Husband 1.0 was a very jealous man and wanted me to stay heavy so no one else would ever look at me. :paranoid Husband 2.0 and I got married April 1, 2006 and he constantly wants me to dress like a prostitute :) . Talk about opposites. I'm pretty conservative so I generally dress business casual/professional, at least in public.

Unfortunately, I started having symptoms of acid reflux about 2 years ago. Gradually over time things have worsened to the point that now I can barely sleep at night. I gradually got the point of vomiting every night before bed because I couldn't sleep with even a molecule of food in my stomach. When my esophogus started bleeding, I finally went into the doctor and got the news I knew deep down I was going to get. My band has slipped and the X-ray shows that it has turned at an angle and is causing somewhat of a blockage. It's pretty bad and they recommended that I get it repaired as soon as possible. "Soon" means probably another month from now despite my severe symptoms.

I am now considering three options:

-- get the band completely removed (my insurance would pay, but I would likely gain weight over time)

-- get the band removed but convert to VG (no worries about slipped band again but my insurance will probably not pay)

-- get the band repaired (still have the band but would worry about another slippage down the road and don't know if insurance would pay)

Since I am pretty close to my goal weight, I don't think I would consider a conversion to gastric bypass. I don't really want my plumbing re-routed and at this point my main concern is to be sure I don't gain the weight back in future years with no band in place. I NEVER would have lost 75 lbs without it. Even with a divorce 3 years ago and the nasty symptoms I am dealing with now, I have zero regrets about getting it done. I truly hated being fat and I never want to go back. Never.

My question to this wonderful group of people is this: For those of you with a slipped band, why did you choose what you did for repair or removal and are you happy with your choice?

Thank you.

I am sorry you are going through all of this! I look forward to seeing what kind of responses you get. It is something that concerns all of us.

If you don't get any responses by morning, "bump" the question. Just enter something into it, and it will bring it back to the top of the current threads. Sunday nights are pretty slow around here---lots of Desperate Housewives fans I think!!! Actually just a lot of people prepping for the week ahead.

Welcome to LBT---I hope you get some answers, and some support for the ordeal ahead of you.

Best of luck to you!

Kat

I also extend my 'sympathies' for the trouble you have been experiencing...I'm sorry :cry

I just wanted to suggest that you post this question over to the complications forum ....maybe there would be some answers for you there as well.

Perhaps with advances in surgical techniques there are new ways of preventing slippage. I wish you the very best of luck. Please let us know how you're doing.

I also wanted to mention for the benefit of those people who have been more recently banded or will be banded that this tool is something that I should have treated more carefully. I am not beating myself up here, but I really need to be honest and say that I think my own behavior contributed to my band slipping. I have had it in place for more than 5 years and after a while, complacency sets in and sometimes frustration over not being able to eat like a "normal" person. This truly is a lifelong decision and I was not as diligent as I should have been in caring for this tool over the long term. Five years of Thanksgiving dinners and Christmas dinners and restaurant eating and being surrounded by people who don't know that I had surgery all those years ago and ask me "what was wrong with your food, you didn't hardly eat anything". I started developing bulemic behaviors and would overeat and then go purge. This was partly because I got sick of having to explain to people that I have a band around my stomach and partly because I would go into frustration mode because I could only eat 5 bites of food at a time and then sit there at the dinner table while everyone else ate like a starved football player.

So, the bottom line is that you really, really must stay diligent in not overeating/purging or gulping down large quantities of liquids and learning to manage stress for the rest of your life. I feel that these are the things that eventually contributed to me damaging my band.

Which brings me to another potential poll question: What do you tell people when they ask you in a restuarant or at a party or other dinner party type of function: "What's wrong with your food, you didn't hardly eat anything?"

My answers have ranged from the truth: I had weight loss surgery and this is all I can eat at one sitting, but the food was really good and I enjoyed it.

or: It was really good, but I just wasn't as hungry as I thought.

or: It was so good, I wanted to save some for leftovers tomorrow.

or maybe I should go with: The food was terrible and I want a refund for my dinner. I could save a lot of money this way, ha ha ha. Just kidding.

I also wanted to mention for the benefit of those people who have been more recently banded or will be banded that this tool is something that I should have treated more carefully. I am not beating myself up here, but I really need to be honest and say that I think my own behavior contributed to my band slipping. I have had it in place for more than 5 years and after a while, complacency sets in and sometimes frustration over not being able to eat like a "normal" person. This truly is a lifelong decision and I was not as diligent as I should have been in caring for this tool over the long term. Five years of Thanksgiving dinners and Christmas dinners and restaurant eating and being surrounded by people who don't know that I had surgery all those years ago and ask me "what was wrong with your food, you didn't hardly eat anything". I started developing bulemic behaviors and would overeat and then go purge. This was partly because I got sick of having to explain to people that I have a band around my stomach and partly because I would go into frustration mode because I could only eat 5 bites of food at a time and then sit there at the dinner table while everyone else ate like a starved football player.

So, the bottom line is that you really, really must stay diligent in not overeating/purging or gulping down large quantities of liquids and learning to manage stress for the rest of your life. I feel that these are the things that eventually contributed to me damaging my band.

Which brings me to another potential poll question: What do you tell people when they ask you in a restuarant or at a party or other dinner party type of function: "What's wrong with your food, you didn't hardly eat anything?"

My answers have ranged from the truth: I had weight loss surgery and this is all I can eat at one sitting, but the food was really good and I enjoyed it.

or maybe I should go with: The food was terrible and I want a refund for my dinner. I could save a lot of money this way, ha ha ha. Just kidding.

"My Dr. has me on this restricted calorie thing, but the food is great".....works for me! They smile at you with this all-knowing look of sympathy. Best wishes with your health issues.

Jen

What is VSG

Thank you for being so candid and sharing with us what you think caused the slippage. It's so important that new and old banders alike be kept aware of what happens when we sray away from what the Dr. advises.

I'm sorry to hear of your delima and I hope that you find a resolution that will work best for you. Good luck to you. And keep in mind that when you are eating out and you don't want to have to explain to people, a simple "I got my fill" is all that you need to say.

Dear Loser75,

Since you're so close to your goal weight and you've probably developed some good lifestyle habits over the years, do you think you could use those skills to keep the weight off? I lost weight by making some lifestyle changes over the past year+ and by continuing with the new lifestyle, I've kept it off. Also, I continue to lose a little bit each month as I near my goal.

Hugh

"because I could only eat 5 bites of food at a time and then sit there at the dinner table while everyone else ate like a starved football player."

I HATE THIS, I want so bad to just to wolf it down. I watch them take such HUGE bites, 3 chews and swallow. They're done and I’m still on my 3 bite! I just have to not watch and make them wait for me! Sometimes I am a littel mean-spirited and make them feel weird that they ate so fast and gobbled it down, just LIKE I USED TO DO!

"So, the bottom line is that you really, really must stay diligent in not overeating/purging or gulping down large quantities of liquids and learning to manage stress for the rest of your life. I feel that these are the things that eventually contributed to me damaging my band."

Thank you so much for being honest. I know I’ve done what you have and your honesty reminds me I have to be watchful for the rest of my life! I guess most of us have wanted to eat “normal” and done it.

I had a revision but only 3 days after the 1st surgery. My Doc put in a too small of band and I came out of surgery with a prolapse! I was in so much pain I told the Doc not to put in another band. He and my husband told me to reconsider and I did. Glad I did but my recovery was months, not days. You have years of good eating, but I don’t think I’d be able to keep my weight off without help. I have never before. If I’m not restricted enough, I feel that starved feeling and I eat too much. Eating like most everyone around me. You had your band done so long ago, you might not remember that starved feeling we have pre-banding.

Best luck with your decision. All the best!

I had a revision but only 3 days after the 1st surgery. My Doc put in a too small of band and I came out of surgery with a prolapse! I was in so much pain I told the Doc not to put in another band. He and my husband told me to reconsider and I did. Glad I did but my recovery was months, not days.

Wow... I've seen you post this situation before, how horrible! Wouldy you mind sharing what doc did this? Was it Kirshenbaum (sp?)?

I am not in your situation, but I know I would regain my weight without the band, so Im pretty sure I would opt to repair repar repair....and if eventually it failed again, I'd do gastric. I just know that new habits won't overcome my cravings without the band.

loser75.... if i ever have to have the band out , i will have my doctor do the vg. i have to be careful since i have had a few problems with the vomiting and acid reflux. but i can say i never was over eating and i chewed. so i went and had unfill. i think im just gonna skip getting any fills and watch what i eat . seems to me like a lot of people have trouble with esophogeal swelling. i do. i dont know why. i have no regrets about my band . i would do it all again. but if i have serious complications in the future i thing the sleeve thing is the way to go. just have small stomach. the other alternatives seem to scary . did you talk to different doctors and get second opinions? good luck and hope it all works out for you. does your doctor in mexico do the vg. my doctor is HUACUZ . he does the vg laproscopic. i think he is the only one that does it laproscopic. i spoke to him about it. if i do have the vg in the future he said it is best to take out band and then wait to heal up . then later have the vg. but you can do both at the same time but he doesnt reccomend. how are you gonna do it.?? what does your doctor reccomend. good luck.