Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back from Mexico!

Sheeanisland, I went through the same thing you did during the week before I got banded. Everything became a countdown until the big day. Banding is a big step, so I think it's perfectly normal to be totally obsessed and distracted before the surgery.

I went back to work after four days, and I probably shouldn't have. I have a desk job, and now I can only stay seated for short periods. I worked about 4-1/2 hours yesterday and six hours today, and lean waaaay back in my chair most of the time.

Of course we all heal at our own pace.

As a hairdresser, you must be on your feet for most of the day. You might not feel like standing for so long. . . then again, you might be ready to roll just a few days after surgery. I don't think there's any way to predict your exact response. It might be worth telling your boss that you might be a little incapacitated for a while -- if you work for a person who'd be willing to cut you some slack, or at least rest a bit when needed.

I should mention that I went to a Mexican restaurant with my boss and a colleague today. I had a huge bowl of Soup (caldo) and an horchata. It felt strange to pass up the chips and salsa, but at least I discovered that I could lead a semi-normal life during the first stage of banding.

Hang in there, S. Those calendar pages are going to turn, no matter what, and you'll soon be banded.

Zoe,

Glad you are finally Rumbautized. If you get to starving during the liquid phase, consider visiting your nearest Jamba juice store. If you get the free Protein boost along with something already fairly high in Protein (Peanut Butter Moo'd?), you can stave off the Galloping Hungries that attack just before you can go on mushies and pureed foods.

Good luck,

Sue

Thanks for the tip, Sue. There's a Jamba juice not far from my office. . . one advantage of big-city life. I'm not hungry yet, but it's just a matter of time.

I felt a lot better this morning -- only 60 seconds to get out of bed, instead of the usual 10 minutes. I'm wearing a funky ankle-length dashiki (no waistband, no center seams). My co-workers are giving me strange looks, but technically I'm still within the limits of the corporate dress code!

Sheeanisland, how are you doing?

Hey Zoe I rush home everyday to read your post hoping you have one. I think you for some strange reason are part of my strength right now... even though I dont know you...oololol. I am just very nervous and anxious. I am glad you are doing so well. May I ask what your inscisions look like? is it hard to find clothes that dont hurt? Gosh its hard enough getting dressed for work now and everything is tight let alone trying to find something that isnt. well another day closer tomorrow I am going to attempt going to sleep.< /p>

Sheeanisland, maybe I should have someone take a picture of my incisions so you could see them. They aren't pretty! But pretty tame stuff compared to major ob/gyn surgery -- no giant staples.

Casual readers might want to skip this next bit, since it definitely falls under Too Much Information.

Let's see if I can remember how the resident explained the various cuts: 1. Liver retractor; 2. place to slip in band; 3. port. Sorry, I'm stuck; I have five incisions and can't remember what the other two were for.

Cut A is an upside-down T about 5/8" long horizontal and 1/4" high, in the middle of my belly about 4" above the navel. There's a nearly identical one about 4" to the lower right of Cut A, a small horizontal 2" above Cut A that's only 1/4" long. Then there are the two big kahunas: one about 4" directly to the right of A, and about the same size, but for some reason much more painful and currently surrounded by a lemon-sized bruise; and last, about 4" to the lower left of the bruise, a slightly jagged cut about 2" long. I believe that was for the port. (I should check one of the medical web sites to figure this out.)

It IS hard finding comfortable clothes. I work in a corporate office. Fortunately we don't have to wear suits, but I have definitely been stretching the limits of both my wardrobe and the dress code. Anything loose and flowing is best. I have two ankle-length dresses (that fit me), so today I was reduced to the dashiki I mentioned earlier, and tomorrow it's either a repeat of Monday's baggy blue jumper over a clean t-shirt or a gaudy muu-muu. And I can't even think about shaving my legs -- it's too hard to bend down! I'm lucky in that I am regarded as an artistic eccentric, so no one expects me in pinstripes. But seriously, if your incisions wind up hitting your sore clothing spots, avoid waistbands, front pants zippers, and anything with center seams -- jeans would probably be the worst. Another tricky thing: shoes. I've been wearing clogs and sandals since the surgery.

The thing is, it's now Wednesday night, and only a week ago I was on the eve of getting banded. The time has passed very quickly. I get stronger and feel better every day. And I remind myself: Labor Day will come, Halloween will come, Thanksgiving will come... etc. Sheeanisland, if you can distract yourself even for a moment from all things Lap Band (and I know it's hard during those days before surgery), you'll give your brain a break and help keep the rest of your life in perspective.

I'm thinking of this period as a kind of chrysalis state, a necessary step to a major change. The first couple of days after banding are especially tough, but as any number of bandsters (more experienced than I) could tell you, it does get better. We're all pulling for you!

Hi Zoe,

I'm glad all went well for you. I'm going down in 3 weeks for my band, and I'm worried about that soreness thing. I'm only taking 2 weeks off work, as a busy charge nurse in a hospital, where I do lots of heavy lifting. If you don't mind my asking, did the doc glue your incisions? I believe the other two incisions you can't remember are for a light and scope so dr can see what he's doing on a screen.

Keep us posted on your recovery, I hope it continues to improve.

Pam

Hi Zoe,

I'm glad all went well for you. I'm going down in 3 weeks for my band, and I'm worried about that soreness thing. I'm only taking 2 weeks off work, as a busy charge nurse in a hospital, where I do lots of heavy lifting. If you don't mind my asking, did the doc glue your incisions? I believe the other two incisions you can't remember are for a light and scope so dr can see what he's doing on a screen.

Keep us posted on your recovery, I hope it continues to improve.

Pam

Hey PamRN,

Hope you don't mind me butting in here

Everyone heals differently and at a different time scale.

Two weeks after my surgery I couldn't tell I had anything done at all except for the visual lines on my belly where my incisions were. I had no pain, nothing......

It's amazing how much better I felt just a few short days after surgery. I might be considered a fast healer, I don't know, but I had my surgery on a Monday and was back to work the following Monday. I could have gone back earlier but decided to take a full week. I think that 2 weeks is a good, safe amount of time to take off.

As far as heavy lifting in 2 weeks, I would check with your doc and see what he says.

I know these 3 weeks will seem like they take forever. Hang in there! :)

Zoe,

So glad to hear everything went fine and that you're back home on the way to recovery!

You're very fortunate that you don't have much of an appetite. I few days after my surgery, my appetite kicked in while I was on the liquid stage and I didn't think I could get through it. I remember posting on here asking everyone if it was normal to feel like I was starving to death! LOL...... I thought the band would take away the hunger pains also :)

It sounds like you're doing very well in your recovery. Just continue to take it easy and you'll be amazed at how much better you feel with every passing day!

Take care!

Tricia

Tricia,

The band does help with hunger later down the road. It is the restriction that helps with that. Sometimes, it takes a few tweaks to get there.

Zoe , you sound like you're doing well!

Pam -

My first week was the worst too. There is no way I could have worn binding clothes at all the first week. The second week, they would definitely still have to be loose. Undergarments are even questionable the first week.

I took 2 full weeks off because I could, but also because of the lifting aspect. I travel and just didn't think lifting a 50lb suitcase was real smart at that point. I still have port pain on occasion, if I wear binding clothes, but with weightloss that seems to be getting better. The port migrates lower as you lose.

Pam, there are some pretty graphic photos from a few of us on this site somewhere. We've had some fun comparing bruises in the past. lol. Do a search on Darcy, Donali, myself (I can't think of who else - maybe someone else can.)

Ohhh I've seen the pics... some are quite lovely thanks lol

I'm particularly fond of the red stripper gloves highlighting the cute little port poking out. As sad as that was, it truely cracked me up & I gotta say Donali's hot bra and jeans pics made me giggle too... she's a braaave woman, but then again if I looked as good as she does in some jeans like that I might be equally so.

Thanks for the input on the soreness thing girls, I'm glad to know that at least I'll be able to put underwear on in time for work lol!

My scrubs are pretty comfy, though they do have an elastic waist. I guess if the lifting is bothersome, I'll just have to ask for some extra help.

I can't voice enough appreciation for all that this site has helped me with.

Even this morning, I was pondering whether this is something I really should do right now, what with the cost, the potential problems, the pain, and just everything under the sun that I could worry myself about... Then I logged on here...

You all are truely great inspiration and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I'm going to Tijuana!

You can do it, Pam! This is my one-week anniversary, and I definitely turned the recovery corner last night. I got out of bed with almost no pain & struggle this morning, walked the dog at a near-normal pace, and haven't taken any pain meds. Those first days are just something we must all weather; having read a lot of advice on this board and learned what to expect, I was ready to face the difficulties, and I know you will be too.

I'm going to try to work a full day today. . . not exactly strenuous, since all I do is sit at a computer, but I'm thinking I can sit up straight for longer periods. And I'm still blessed with no appetite. After seven days of feeling beat up by the band, I'm finally (sort of) normal.

Pam, you asked about glue. Dr. Rumbaut placed Steri-Strips over the incisions; I peeled them off four of the five cuts this morning. It looks like I'm healing fine.

Zoe,

Just remember to get up and move about pretty regularly. Sitting at the puter for long periods actually does put you at risk for clots. Early on. I'd try to get up and move at least every half hour or so.

Just a friendly reminder from a friend who's been there..

:)

Thanks for the tip, Leatha. Walking helps me feel better, too. I have to walk around to go to others' offices, the computer printer, etc. -- not to mention the bathroom -- so I have some mandatory movement every day.

Hey Zoe, I would Love Love a picture of your inscisions because we have the same doctor so I know mine will pretty much look the same. But if you dont want to send them I totally understand. I am so glad you are feeling better. Did you go into the computer room at the hospital. I also might bring my lap top so I can be on here in my room the night before I am really going to need you guys!!!