Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time to board the plane... will be keeping you all posted!

Curious if you had to cut way back on calories above and beyond the requirements of surgery because not exercising. Or does your body keep on burning at the same rate despite loss of exercise. Wondering...

After my back surgeries, I pretty much cut my calories in half and have been maintaining the same weight. As you know, it's a calories in versus calories burned, sooo ...

I'm getting back in the gym now. Been doing elliptical and light weights now for a couple weeks. Hope to start running again soon.

Just realized I had my first back surgery one year ago today.

Curious if you had to cut way back on calories above and beyond the requirements of surgery because not exercising. Or does your body keep on burning at the same rate despite loss of exercise. Wondering...
After a seriously invasive surgery like a TT or even more so what Jane had, cutting back on calories would infringe on the healing process. You need to be anabolic during healing not catabolic. Even if the result is a few extra pounds of fat it will go away quickly once exercise is resumed. Now that is not a license to eat anything and everything but you don't wanna try to lose weight while recovering either. Basically you have to focus on healing and not obsess over the scale. That being said I'm down 6 pounds from my surgery date. Of course they removed 6 pounds of skin but I also have some extra Water weight due to swelling, although my swelling is not bad at all at the moment. I feel like I'm losing muscle tone by the minute but I know it will come right back as soon as I'm cleared to exercise again. I look forward to restarting my activity. I know it will be painful and difficult at first, but no where near as difficult as it was right after my vsg, when I was still obese.

Edited by Butterthebean

Beans got that right this is a big surgery. Besides losing 5'5# of skin, I had skin peeled back from the fascia and it needs to reattach. lymphatic drainage needs to"reroute" The healing is more massive then the incision length... and just the incision length is mighty. I will measure it but I guess I have 70" of incision.

I am bouncing'back very well and I attribute it to being g fit to start with. Even so, I Am 4-6 weeks off a desk job, prohibited from stress, only allowed easy walks and restart beginner exercise a t 6 weeks. By 8 weeks I am allowed to handle horses again but am planning that it might be 12 before my strength is really enough to ride safely.

I 'too know that my little girlie Muscle tone.is disappearing but that will come back later . Now is time to heal.

gamergirl you made me laugh Fiddle' date=' I didn't really answer you but I think it would be crazy to do a TT if u just have an inch to pinch. I am 5'5" and lost about 180 from my h highest weight. I am not shooting for VS model, just normal. Surgeon told me that early days I am burning up to twice as much as normal. I can't describe it, besides being hungry I feel that way like I crave nourishment. I sip a Protein drink all nite long, when I awake to go pee I am hungry. Breakfast at the hotel is from 6-10 and I was already s scheming about two meals.. we have a little fridge stocked with fresh fruit and greek'yogurt etc so I am just doing the eat small amount all day long complete opposite of my maintenance strategy. This is my healing strategy. Remember I lad lower body lift which is tt plus,'also boobs arms and small thigh.lift. there is much to be healed. Nurse told'me that being in such good condition is making my healing go well.[/quote']

I'm happy to read you're doing so well.

I need to lose a total if 250 lbs from my highest weight so I will need all the above referenced nips, tucks, and lifts.

I've read you are a self pay. Which surgeon did you choose? May I ask the cost? Estimated recovery time there and home?

I am really glad you're doing well.

Yes just the thought of them peeling back all that abdominal skin like a blanket....so they can fold us in half and stretch it do tight....gives me the heebie-jeebies. There is a lot to heal there. I don't know how long my incision is but the doc said he stopped counting stitches at 200.

Yes just the thought of them peeling back all that abdominal skin like a blanket....so they can fold us in half and stretch it do tight....gives me the heebie-jeebies. There is a lot to heal there. I don't know how long my incision is but the doc said he stopped counting stitches at 200.

Ouch!! I must say you guys are BRAVE!! Maybe later I could think about TT but for now, it sounds like something I don't want. So kudos to you, Jane and BTB

Ooh I like this one because it's a four for one. 5. I can have popcorn even if it a slider 6.. I eat and drink together all the time and nothing bad happens to me 7. All calories are equal. I can have milk duds instead of Protein 8. Help! I broke my sleeve! Yeah I know I'm being bitchy today :P I'll stop now

I think you are my twin sister! I could quote your exact comments. Lol

My all time fav.

"I've ONLY lost 85 pounds in 3 months? What's wrong with me?"

CGJ , we hijacked your thread. I, hope, at least we are keeping your mind off those depression, oh I mean, compression garments :).

No depression... extreme compression. NOW I know how Victorian era women got 18 " waists.... OMG the squeeze.

My Irish skin is healing very well at the incisions but not handling the tape or the garments. Doc has given instructions of no more tape and to spend some bed rest time free of the torture garments. We are going to look for thin silk or something else to go under. My worst pain is NOT incisions but rather these sores.

I think you are my twin sister! I could quote your exact comments. Lol

My all time fav.

"I've ONLY lost 85 pounds in 3 months? What's wrong with me?"

Can I add "I read a post of a 500# guy who lost 100# in 3 months, I started at 200# and my surgery was 3 months ago, why aren't I at goal? I must have the wrong bougie size."

No depression... extreme compression. NOW I know how Victorian era women got 18 " waists.... OMG the squeeze. My Irish skin is healing very well at the incisions but not handling the tape or the garments. Doc has given instructions of no more tape and to spend some bed rest time free of the torture garments. We are going to look for thin silk or something else to go under. My worst pain is NOT incisions but rather these sores.

Sooo you're planning the Victorian style dresses post recovery?!?! Heeheehee. Sounds like you will be shaped for one:):) bed rest sounds heavenly for you so make sure you do it!

I'm happy to read you're doing so well.

I need to lose a total if 250 lbs from my highest weight so I will need all the above referenced nips, tucks, and lifts.

I've read you are a self pay. Which surgeon did you choose? May I ask the cost? Estimated recovery time there and home?

I am really glad you're doing well.

I shared some of this info already but my surgery was 9 hours because I chose to do a lot at once rather then stage over 3 surgeries. I stayed in the surgical clinic adjoining a big hospital 4 no nights so they did excellent pain control and personal care. I stay in hotel near the clinic another 7 nights before flying home. Nurse comes to hotel daily to assist with shower and doc checks in daily too. This is NOT how it is done in the USA so I can only share my experiences. Cost was about 1/3 to half of USA cost but more importantly for me, had more care. We all have our "thing" but I wanted nursing care.

Can I add "I read a post of a 500# guy who lost 100# in 3 months' date=' I started at 200# and my surgery was 3 months ago, why aren't I at goal? I must have the wrong bougie size."[/quote']

Bahahaha ha. Cracks me up!!!

No depression... extreme compression. NOW I know how Victorian era women got 18 " waists.... OMG the squeeze. My Irish skin is healing very well at the incisions but not handling the tape or the garments. Doc has given instructions of no more tape and to spend some bed rest time free of the torture garments. We are going to look for thin silk or something else to go under. My worst pain is NOT incisions but rather these sores.

I envy you. I wish I could get some torture garment free time. I take really long showers cause that's the only time he'll let me keep it off. I did get my softest, thinnest tshirt, which is so soft apparently it's made of angel wings, and I put my binder on over that. Gives my skin a break from the medieval corset.

Weird thing is the random numbness in certain spots....but right next to it will be a spot that's twice as sensitive as before.

Back from vacation to all your stories and progress! So happy for you both, past your surgery and into healing. Best of luck to you both!

...I haven't lost any weight in two days, how do you break a stall?