Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision to Bypass due to complications--how are people doing?

I had VSG in May of this year. I had a wonderful experience. I have lost 53 lbs and could not be happier with my sleeve. Due to my success, and seeming ease of recuperation (overall, that is), my husband decided to have the surgery in August.

He has had nothing but problems. He has never been able to keep any food or Water down. He constantly throws up anything he takes in, including Vitamins and medications. It is not nausea--it is an inability to digest anything. He has had multiple IV's for dehydration, and would have been hospitalized multiple times if he did not work in the medical field (which allows him access to IV Fluid without being admitted to the hospital).

He is now about 6 weeks post-op. His doctor finally did an EGD this week. They found a kink in the area where his small intestine connects to his stomach. Essentially, it causes the food to have to travel "uphill" (for lack of a better description) to exit his stomach. It's just not working. He has erosion in his esophagus and severe GERD b/c of the buildup of acid in his stomach. They dilated the spot that is kinked, but it didn't make a difference, which they didn't expect it would because it is not a stricture.

Now his doctor wants to convert to gastric bypass. It is sooo disheartening. Neither of us would have considered having a bypass electively and he is terrified of the side effects of the bypass. We know that the side effects cant really be much worse than what he is going through now but it is still stressful. We have been unable to get a second opinion (my surgeon just retired and another is on vacation). My husbands surgeon (whohas been absolutely wonderful through this whole process) wants to do the bypass ASAP.

I have read a few posts with similar circumstances, but can't find any recent updates. Does anyone have any information/thoughts/ideas/experience with this? If so we would love to hear!

Thanks for letting me vent and for any suggestions or thoughts! Right now we are just trying to process this whole mess!

Hi...so sorry that your husband is going through this....hope that he gets better.....I started out wanting to go to Mexico for the VSG however, after looking into it...I decided to find a fine surgeon in NYC,,,at Mount Sinai Hospital....I had the procedure in July and have already lost 71 pounds....had some eating issues at first however, things have gotten so much better.....perhaps, you should consult with other surgeons to see what their opinion is ?I used Dr. Daniel Herron....wishing that all goes well.....all the best....... R

I had VSG in May of this year. I had a wonderful experience. I have lost 53 lbs and could not be happier with my sleeve. Due to my success, and seeming ease of recuperation (overall, that is), my husband decided to have the surgery in August.

He has had nothing but problems. He has never been able to keep any food or Water down. He constantly throws up anything he takes in, including Vitamins and medications. It is not nausea--it is an inability to digest anything. He has had multiple IV's for dehydration, and would have been hospitalized multiple times if he did not work in the medical field (which allows him access to IV Fluid without being admitted to the hospital).

He is now about 6 weeks post-op. His doctor finally did an EGD this week. They found a kink in the area where his small intestine connects to his stomach. Essentially, it causes the food to have to travel "uphill" (for lack of a better description) to exit his stomach. It's just not working. He has erosion in his esophagus and severe GERD b/c of the buildup of acid in his stomach. They dilated the spot that is kinked, but it didn't make a difference, which they didn't expect it would because it is not a stricture.

Now his doctor wants to convert to gastric bypass. It is sooo disheartening. Neither of us would have considered having a bypass electively and he is terrified of the side effects of the bypass. We know that the side effects cant really be much worse than what he is going through now but it is still stressful. We have been unable to get a second opinion (my surgeon just retired and another is on vacation). My husbands surgeon (whohas been absolutely wonderful through this whole process) wants to do the bypass ASAP.

I have read a few posts with similar circumstances, but can't find any recent updates. Does anyone have any information/thoughts/ideas/experience with this? If so we would love to hear!

Thanks for letting me vent and for any suggestions or thoughts! Right now we are just trying to process this whole mess!

Hi nervousnellie...I can certainly understand why you're nervous. Have you read any of the posts that I've posted? Look on the thread sleeve to bypass tomorrow if you haven't already. I've really been through the ringer. I don't even know where to start to talk to you...maybe i should ask if you have any questions? Please reply, I'll answer/tell you anything you need/want to know, even some stuff you probably don't want to hear. I feel for you and the mess you and your husband are going thru right now. Let me know if I can be of any help...

Niki

I am in same boat. My surgeon has expressed to me that I need to revise to bypass and I'm doing everything I can not to do it. I have severe GERD with esophageal spasms that are horrid and I have them daily. I'm beside myself and don't know where to turn. I am to have a "Bravo EGD" on Monday and I don't even want to do this. This is where they measure the acid in the sleeve and how severe it is. On Wednesday, I am to have a Manometry. This is where they put an NG tube in the nostril and down the throat to measure pressure and how the LES is closing. Did yor husband have these test? I'm so scare to do this !! I'm having a breakdown here. I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I wish I could give encouraging words but I am like he is and I don't want the bypass.

I will pray for him. Please keep us updated as to how he is doing.

Hello everyone I had my sleeve on 20013 after dealing with a leak for over a year I finally got s Revision to Bypass on February 2016 after almost two weeks in the hospital I'm home and so far doing good .ill keep you posted in a month .