Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

I know this is totally off topic but I have to vent. I'm not very close with my dad, he lives in Chicago and I live in Manitoba Canada. He's coming for a visit this evening and staying at my house for a week. (Never buy a house with extra guest bedrooms!!!!)

Does anyone else have difficulty telling family members about their sleeve??

Hate to say it, but my standby is, "I'd rather be fat than unkind to people I love, but I'm trying to change... maybe you should try changing too?" And if he's still crappy about it (or anything), you need to ask him what kind of future relationship he wants to have with you, because the path he's treading is neither useful nor loving.

Hope the weekend goes well, and hugs.

I wouldnt tell him. Its not unheard if to lose 30 pounds. If necessary I would say something like "it's amazing what you can do when you surround yourself with a positive support system who all want to help me become healthier!".

I know this is totally off topic but I have to vent. I'm not very close with my dad, he lives in Chicago and I live in Manitoba Canada. He's coming for a visit this evening and staying at my house for a week. (Never buy a house with extra guest bedrooms!!!!)

My mom promised me she would come over to help me talk to my dad about the gastric sleeve as he has no idea. I was sleeved on December 9th and down 36lbs, so at this point it's fairly obvious. My dad is not a sensitive man, he's called me fat my whole life and laughed when others have called me fat. I'm really nervous to even eat in front of him and now I have to go through telling him about my surgery.

My parents have been divorced for 14 years but they're still friends and see and talk to each other often. When my dad is mean to me my mom will stick up for me (sometimes). I talked to her this morning and she said she'd be over by 3. Well it's now 4, my dad should be here any minute and she's not here. Not answering her phone and I've texted her several times.

I know I'm 30 and should just suck it up and put my big girl pants on (that are getting smaller these days!!) but it's really hard facing my dad alone. Worse yet, my sister who is fairly supportive of me is out of town. So it is literally just me, that's a lie... I have my wonderful husband and three amazing children who love me for me. :o)

Does anyone else have difficulty telling family members about their sleeve??

Fostermama, you were just given the gift of a brand new life, be grateful and use it wisely. The universe (or higher power) will handle your father as he deserves in due course. Don't get yourself tangled in the past, keep your eye on the amazing future ahead. Stay strong and don't let the anxiety of his visit bring you down, or emotionally eat. Be the better person, treat him well, and don't let anything he says bring you down. And yes, tell him it was diet and exercise, which is not untrue. Good luck, we are here for you!

Thanks for the great advice guys!! I decided not to say anything and I'm glad! He didn't comment and I didn't offer. My mom ended up coming over which is awesome. He did eye my plate and portion of food but didn't say anything.

I am definitely getting stronger. I was always scared to talk in groups of people and finding it easier to converse with my son's hockey team parents and my daughter's dance parents as well. Also I'm in University and answered my first question in a class of 75 last week. Feels good to be confident! :)

Thanks everyone for the support. I can't believe I didn't think of not telling him, like that was even an option! Ha! :)

Thanks for the great advice guys!! I decided not to say anything and I'm glad! He didn't comment and I didn't offer. My mom ended up coming over which is awesome. He did eye my plate and portion of food but didn't say anything.

I am definitely getting stronger. I was always scared to talk in groups of people and finding it easier to converse with my son's hockey team parents and my daughter's dance parents as well. Also I'm in University and answered my first question in a class of 75 last week. Feels good to be confident! :)

Thanks everyone for the support. I can't believe I didn't think of not telling him, like that was even an option! Ha! :)

So proud of u on all accomplishments and u just keep gettin stronger. We r here for u as u can see:). So get some sleep and I'll pray for a good rest of the visit. Remember, ur life, house, n rules. Nn

Hey December Sleevers! We've got a great group of friends on my fitness pal sharing support and food diaries for great meal ideas!

Sign up and join us! You can find me at xmarycontraryx or maryallisondixon@gmail.com

Hey December Sleevers! We've got a great group of friends on my fitness pal sharing support and food diaries for great meal ideas!

Sign up and join us! You can find me at xmarycontraryx or maryallisondixon@gmail.com

I can't figure out how to add friends to my fitness pal :( I have been trying to but unsuccessful...

I can't figure out how to add friends to my fitness pal :( I have been trying to but unsuccessful...

What's your user name and I'll connect you. I'm stabuch.

Going back to work tomorrow and feeling a little nervous about having enough energy - but mainly nervous about the questions from coworkers. I haven't told them why I was having surgery (though they know that I did have it). A couple of people asked what my surgery was for and I told them I didn't really want to discuss it.

People will probably notice the weight loss and comment. I plan to just smile and say thanks.

Maybe just tell them you had girl issues and while recuperating, you lost some weight and it has motivated you to continue!

What's your user name and I'll connect you. I'm stabuch.

Mine is..itzel727

Hey December Sleevers! We've got a great group of friends on my fitness pal sharing support and food diaries for great meal ideas! Sign up and join us! You can find me at xmarycontraryx or maryallisondixon@gmail.com

Just sent a request! Would love to hook up with folks. I am Jess9395 or Jessica.stw@gmail.com

I can't figure out how to add by username on MFP only by email!

So please add me!

Jess9395 or Jessica.stw@gmail.com

Edited by jess9395

Im kiap82 or kiap82@hotmail.com on MFP. Feel free to add me!

I am Maddiewin1 on MFP. Would love to have more MFP pals.