Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attn: ladies who got pregnant after being banded

Were any of you told by your OB that you had/have complications directly related to banding?

I just returned from an appt and my dr said that my low platelet count was due to malabsorption of Vitamins from the band, and in addition to the prenatal Vitamins, I have to take a Multi-Vitamin and have Vitamin K shots. I also have to have fetal non-stress tests and biophysical profiles done every other week.

Thanks for any replies.

malabsorption of Vitamins from the band
That's odd because the band is not a malabsorptive procedure, it's a restrictive procedure. While it impacts the amount we eat, it does not impact how we absorb what we eat.

It sounds like maybe your doctor doesn't understand what lap-band is (fairly common), or how it works.

One of my main reasons for choosing the band is because it is purely restrictive and not malabsorptive. I'm going to want to get pregnant at one point, but also I take meds for narcolepsy. And I know that some people who have malabsortive procedures like the bypass don't get the sam effect from meds that they did before. I didn't want to have to end up taking high doses of dextroamphetamine and still be sleepy because of malabsorption. That was something I asked tons of people about and grilled my surgeon on.

You might want to talk to your doctor about it and your Vitamin protocol because getting too much of a Vitamin can sometimes be really dangerous I know. And if doc assumes you aren't absorbing all of it, he or she might be giving you more but if you really do absorb it... Well its worth checking on.

Thanks for your responses. My OB actually contacted a high risk OB about my case because my platelet count was too low. It wasn't anemia or lupus. I don't know... it could be that the baby is absorbing all the Vitamins first, and just not leaving enough for me. The baby is doing great. She is very active and is growing right on target. The only thing is that I have to those pesky non stress tests, and the baby doesn't stay still long enough for them to get a continuous reading of her heartbeat. We'll see how all of this pans out.

I had to have non-stress tests every week for a couple of months before I had my son. I had no "conditions" that would complicate the pregnancy, and it was BEFORE I was banded. And my son turned out great!

I'm so glad that you are posting about your pregnancy, though. It's a HUGE factor in my reasoning as to get the band.

yes do let us know how it goes. In a couple of years I'll probably want to see about getting pregnant with one of those money drains known as children. And with my other health conditions and stuff I know I would need a high risk OB, but still wonder about the band the role it plays esp with things like morning sickness and healthy weights and so forth! And good luck with your pregnancy!

There's no malabsorption from the band. As long as you are taking your Vitamins in the first place that shouldn't be an issue.

My docs had almost no comment about the band at all. No effect on my pregnancy whatsoever. But my loose fill probably kept me from gaining more weight.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: Band babies rock!

This makes me so mad! I get so frustrated with the medical community for not understanding the band.

Be careful and be your our advacote! Do not be afraid to open your mouth and educate your Dr on the band. You may even want to call your LB dr and ask him to call your OB.

Good luck.

That's odd because the band is not a malabsorptive procedure, it's a restrictive procedure. While it impacts the amount we eat, it does not impact how we absorb what we eat.

It sounds like maybe your doctor doesn't understand what lap-band is (fairly common), or how it works.

I agree. The band is just now coming into its own and lots of people, including doctors in other specialties, still confuse it with gastric bypass.