Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you tell your Employer???

I told my Boss and he was actually quite relieved. I was a walking time bomb waiting to go off. Nothing but support and encouragement surrounding me at work.

Who you tell is a very personal decision and one you must base on how you feel and how you feel others with perceive your decision and whether or not their perception of you good or bad is going to hinder or help your journey.

To be perfectly honest I didn't really give an ounce of **** whether the office folks were supportive or not because in the end it is all about me and my family and health.

I'd be leary of "making up a procedure". That could, down the road be held against you as falsification of company records. I've seen it happen...Very sad but true.

MY opinion, if you are not 100% comfortable telling EVERYONE at your workplace, then don't tell ANYONE. Your supervisors, etc are not entitled to know what type of surgery you had. Only any work restrictions you may have. Your bariatric surgeon's team should be very familiar filling out the FMLA paperwork to not indicate any identifying procedure.

Now I feel bad for lying, Yikes!! It is very difficult because when I said I had to go for surgery, everyone asked right away "Oh? What kind of surgery??" I did not know what to say, so I blurted out hernia repair. Well.....hopefully it never becomes an issue :o

I don't see the point in being deceptive. Just say your having surgery and it is a personal matter that you would rather not make public.

I told my boss the truth, I have never hidden my band surgery from anyone because there come a time when people will want to know 1) How the h_ll are you losing all that weight so fast? 2) Why do you eat like a bird? 3) Why did you just have to spend 20 minutes in the bathroom (because something got stuck and you were sliming)?

It's nothing to be ashamed of. I'm proud of Miss Pearlie and I don't keep her a secret.

I am self employed and have employees. If one of my employees were to ever feel that they could not tell me something or confide in me I would be crushed. It is my job as an employer and manager to promote confidence and support my staff. The worst thing a boss could ever do is have employees that dont trust them. I think having support from your employer or manager is crucial for lap band success. Its not just the time for surgery that you will need off but follow up vistis and fill appoinments. Be open. Be honest. They may not understand all the reasons that you have made the decision for WLS but they should at least be happy they are going to have a more energetic and positive employee.

If you have an HR department or employee health then you don't have to tell her anything. It stays with whom you report to in order to come back to work. Most doctors notes just say ____________ has been under my care since ___________ and they may return to work with no restrictions. I am sure he is just a general surgeon so you could be getting anything done. No one has to know not even your boss.

For me it was easier for me to share my surgery and I got and still get a lot if support

As a result several other co workers have gotten WLS, from the sleeve, gastric bypass and some like me the lapband.

Some have lost 100 lbs or more and some have gained back the weight they have lost.

I still believe I made the right choice to go for the band and let my supervisors know.

I told my boss it was personal and they accepted it. No questions asked.

I told my employer and she implemented a rule that no one could eat at their desks while I was going through my liquid diet before surgery. She didn't want anyone eating in front of me. They have been very supportive and someone is always telling me how good I'm looking - so it was the right decision for me ;) every place is different and I get that ! Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

That is awesome!!

Also if you tell them you are having your gallbladder removed and then later actually end up needed it removed, which is a lot of time the case with Lap band patients, what will you tell them then. My advice is tell the truth or don't tell them anything at all, just that you are having surgery.

I am struggling with what to tell my boss about my upcoming lapband surgery. The issue is that I have had 2 other surgeries since working there in the last 5 years and have been relatively open about them (gallbladder and lymphdectomy). I have a great relationship w/ my boss but I still don't want ANYONE at my job to know. I have been a very private person when it comes my decision to have wls. Only my immediate family and 2 fantastic friends know. I have to tell her something cause I will need time off for recovery. I am also worried about what my papers from the surgeon will say that I have to turn in to use my sick leave at work. Should I make up a procedure like hernia or something??? Any ideas?

I, too, didn't want anyone to know what kind of surgery I was having because I didn't want to feel "watched". Weight loss surgery is very personal and intimate.

I think I would just let my employer know I am having surgery, will need time off to recover, and what restrictions you will have upon return (if any). The type of surgery is not their business, but they do need to be able to plan for your absence.

I also found that as I began to lose weight and people noticed, they were very excited for me and supportive, too! Some people asked me if I was dieting or how I've lost weight. It was my decision to pick those I would tell and those I'd just say I was watching what I eat (which is also true).

Most people where I work now know I had the surgery (this was 3 years ago) and I still get compliments and a lot of support from a whole lot of people!

So, you might be surprised how having the people you spend most of your day with can support you on your journey!

My advice is to be truthful but you don't have to be an open book.

~hiddn

I chose to tell most folks at work... honestly though obesity is a dieses much like any other and you would not hesitate to have surgery to fix something else and most likely not hide it.people will watch you once they notice how you are eating any way so the truth for me was a easy choice.my boss has become my biggest cheerleader.my coworkers my walking companions the whole group walk every morning for at least a mile with me. Yes they are all waiting to see how much I will lose but as I have explained to them it's going to take awhile the newness will wear off eventually and they will stop tracking I hope.