Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long After Surgery (1st Fill) ?

How long did you have to wait after surgery for your first fill? I am 4 weeks out on Wed and my Surgeon's office says 6 weeks... but I notice some people on here get them at 4 weeks. Does it have to do with BMI? Or just different surgeons?

i was banded on feb 13 2007, and im scheduled for my first fill Feb 19th. Its as a favor to me though because i have to fly back to maine on Feb 21. My surgeon prefers to wait six weeks for everything to heal.

my first post op however was at two weeks...and im glad too because i was starting to try some solids way too early and was quickly put on the right path.

i digress.

i think most surgeons will wait six weeks for all your wonderful delicate insides to heal before attempting a fill.

i was banded on feb 13 2007, and im scheduled for my first fill Feb 19th. Its as a favor to me though because i have to fly back to maine on Feb 21. My surgeon prefers to wait six weeks for everything to heal.

my first post op however was at two weeks...and im glad too because i was starting to try some solids way too early and was quickly put on the right path.

i digress.

i think most surgeons will wait six weeks for all your wonderful delicate insides to heal before attempting a fill.

March 19th maybe?

My surgery is scheduled for March 5th and I leave for Europe April 24th. I'm hoping they'll fill me after 5 weeks so I can have 2 weeks "recovery time" before I go out of the country. If not, I'll probably wait until I get back. I don't want a fill and find out there's an issue when I'm 10's of thousands of miles away.

That Girl

WOW. So happy to see your post. I was wondering how you were doing. Congrats on such great progress. We were banded one day apart- I was on the 30th and had my first fill on Friday. 5 weeks. It was not painful at all! I was so worried and such a baby.

Hang in there...just one week to go. I was feeling almost no resriction for 2 weeks before the fill and getting nervous- finding it tough to stay low calories- hungry a lot. Now I am 2 days out from the fill and am feeling the same kind of restriction I did after surgery. I hope it stays... it makes the whole process of reducing intake manageable. Regardless, we will get there eventually with hard work and dedication.

Hugs!

Kim :kiss2:

223/217/204/135

pre-op/surg day/today/goal

first fill 03/09/07- 1.cc

and had my first fill on Friday. 5 weeks.

Hugs!

223/217/204/135

pre-op/surg day/today/goal

first fill 03/09/07- 1.cc

Did you want it done at 5 weeks or your doctor? If if was you, how did you convince the Dr? I would LOVE to have mine at 5 weeks so I have 2 weeks to get "used" to eat before traveling (especially since I'll be traveling w/ people who don't know I've been banded). Any info you have would be greatly appreciated :)

Did you want it done at 5 weeks or your doctor? If if was you, how did you convince the Dr? I would LOVE to have mine at 5 weeks so I have 2 weeks to get "used" to eat before traveling (especially since I'll be traveling w/ people who don't know I've been banded). Any info you have would be greatly appreciated :eek:

Hi FurEllie

I did not ask. At the end of my 7-10 day post surgery checkup on Feb 10th (banded 1/30/07) the doctor handed the chart to his assistant and said, "I want to see her in 4 weeks for a fill." Hence...March 9th was my 5 week first fill. No convincing necessary. Wish I could give you the magic words, but it seems each doctor has a pretty set pattern. It doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe he's negotiable.

About the not telling your travel companions.... Just say that you are incorporating new eating habits into your life (not a lie) and that you are taking much smaller bites, chewing for a long time, and following the widely publisized philosophy that it takes 20 minutes for the brain to know when you are full. This should work. Even if you have to wait six weeks for a fill you'll get used to it pretty quickly. You'll be fine. Hope you have a great trip. Good luck!

Hi FurEllie

I did not ask. At the end of my 7-10 day post surgery checkup on Feb 10th (banded 1/30/07) the doctor handed the chart to his assistant and said, "I want to see her in 4 weeks for a fill." Hence...March 9th was my 5 week first fill. No convincing necessary. Wish I could give you the magic words, but it seems each doctor has a pretty set pattern. It doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe he's negotiable.

About the not telling your travel companions.... Just say that you are incorporating new eating habits into your life (not a lie) and that you are taking much smaller bites, chewing for a long time, and following the widely publisized philosophy that it takes 20 minutes for the brain to know when you are full. This should work. Even if you have to wait six weeks for a fill you'll get used to it pretty quickly. You'll be fine. Hope you have a great trip. Good luck!

Thanks for the info :( I'm going to do what I can to get one early. I do NOT want to find out I have a problem thousands of miles from home.

I think I can "pull the wool" over my friend's eyes. One friend I'll be visiting is a large girl and I plan on talking to her about it. I've learned who to tell and who not to tell, lol.

If you will hit the Protein supps as much as possible you will heal more quickly.....it will lessen the likelihood of the fill causing a problem.