Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Gastric Sleeve Plication Surgery Help With Diabetes?

Has anyone around here had the plication sleeve and had diabetes? I am considering having it done at Angels Hospital in Mexico. My insurance won't cover it here in the states because I need a BMI of 40 and I am 36- which is bad enough for me. More then the weight loss, if I could help or reverse my diabetes I would be estatic!

Has anyone around here had the plication sleeve and had diabetes? I am considering having it done at Angels Hospital in Mexico. My insurance won't cover it here in the states because I need a BMI of 40 and I am 36- which is bad enough for me. More then the weight loss, if I could help or reverse my diabetes I would be estatic!

The Orlando Sentinel Sunday paper had a story on the front page about diabetes and WLS. I thought it was an interesting read, here is the link. The story intimates that about 78% of people with diabetes who have WLS 'overcome' their diabetes. I then read a story from the Clevelland Clinic that stated that: "Diabetes, hypertension, obstructive sleep apnea and abnormal cholesterol levels are improved in more than 75% of patients undergoing a bariatric procedure". They are talking about plication being included in these weight loss surgeries. Here is the link from that story. To me, and I am not a doctor so please do your own research to follow up, this seems to show that plication rates about as well as other weight loss surgeries in helping with diabetes.

Also, the Orlando Sentinel story talked about insurances covering WLS if BMI is under 40, with additional co-morbidities. I would think diabetes would definitely qualify. Is there any way you could fight their verdict?

The Orlando Sentinel Sunday paper had a story on the front page about diabetes and WLS. I thought it was an interesting read, here is the link. The story intimates that about 78% of people with diabetes who have WLS 'overcome' their diabetes. I then read a story from the Clevelland Clinic that stated that: "Diabetes, hypertension, obstructive sleep apnea and abnormal cholesterol levels are improved in more than 75% of patients undergoing a bariatric procedure". They are talking about plication being included in these weight loss surgeries. Here is the link from that story. To me, and I am not a doctor so please do your own research to follow up, this seems to show that plication rates about as well as other weight loss surgeries in helping with diabetes.

Also, the Orlando Sentinel story talked about insurances covering WLS if BMI is under 40, with additional co-morbidities. I would think diabetes would definitely qualify. Is there any way you could fight their verdict?

Thank You for the information! I have Kaiser Insurance and they told me my plan doesn't cover it and even if it did I would have to have a BMI of 40 regardless.

Weight loss helps with diabetes, no matter what you do to achieve that weight loss. Even dropping 10% of your body weight has been known to improve your health..

Weight loss will help with diabetes, but the most successful WLS for diabetes is Duodenal Switch. I've read it resolves ~99% of diabetes cases and there's a marked improvement on the remaining 1%. I've read about talk of doing just the bowel resecting part of DS on non obese diabetic patients, as that's what really makes the difference.

There's plenty of info on diabetes here http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4116406/Oprahs-Diabetes-Show/ and here http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4230162/Diabetes-amp-Surgery/action,replies/topic_id,4230162/page,2/ (search and you'll find loads of hits on DS and diabetes).

Dr Ungson in Hermosillo seems to be the go to doc in Mexico for DS though.

Weight loss helps with diabetes, no matter what you do to achieve that weight loss. Even dropping 10% of your body weight has been known to improve your health..

The story on the OS webpage states that some people's diabetes was gone immediately after WLS. They also implied that the results after WLS were much more than if you just lost the weight yourself. I don't have diabetes, so I don't know, but I thought it was interesting.

The story on the OS webpage states that some people's diabetes was gone immediately after WLS. They also implied that the results after WLS were much more than if you just lost the weight yourself. I don't have diabetes, so I don't know, but I thought it was interesting.

I agree that even a small amount of weight loss is beneficial, diabetic or not. The added benefit of the procedure is it seems to reduce or get rid of entirely the hormone that causes diabetes...if I understand correctly. Game on- going to Mexico!

I have heard that the Roux-N-Y Bypass surgery has been very successful in eliminating diabetes all together and even the scientists aren't sure why. I do question whether the other surgeries do the same other than just weight loss itself solves that problem. I have not been told I am diabetic, but insulin resistant prior to my surgery. I've noticed that my fasting blood sugars are lower since the surgery, but still higher than they should be. I think I just have not lost enough weight yet for it to be making a huge difference. But I'm definitely eating more carbs so I have faith that my sugars WILL get better.

Thanks for the link! I am going to show my ignorance here. What is RNY? I am having the sleeve plication. Is that the same thing?

Thanks for the link! I am going to show my ignorance here. What is RNY? I am having the sleeve plication. Is that the same thing?

If you are learning, you are not ignorant! We all had to start at the beginning and research this all at one time or another. RNY is Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass.