Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgery date- and now SCARED TO DEATH!

Ladies you don't have anything to be scared of, really. I'm 71 and just went through having my band removed in May and had RNY 9/11/13. My worst fear was the pain. When I brought this up to the doctor, he smiled at me and said "that is what pain medication is for". When he removed the band, he gave me a script for pain medication, but I gave it back on my follow up as I didn't need it. I will say, yes there will be pain, but the sooner you get up and move around you'll feel better. The nurses couldn't believe the distance I walked my first go around and I doubled it the second go around. From then on I was basically out of bed and sitting in a chair when I felt like it. You both will be okay. Follow your doctor's instructions, sip slowly and often and make sure you stay hydrated (that is more important than food at this time, also if you doctor allows it Protein to keep up your muscle mass so you won't get weak), take time in eating when you are allowed to. If you have problems, post something, ask for help. Someone will tell you what you need to do as we all want you to succeed. You'll both be okay.

Thank you so much for the advice. It makes me feel a little better. I will be sixty in a few months and was hoping to have it done before my birthday. I'm hoping we can all heed your advice and do as well as you. Thanks!

Thank you so much for the advice. It makes me feel a little better. I will be sixty in a few months and was hoping to have it done before my birthday. I'm hoping we can all heed your advice and do as well as you. Thanks!

You are welcome. I was 68 when I was banded and did just as well. Not a problem with the band and only found out it had slipped when I switched doctors. I think, we lose focus of why we are really having this surgery done, our health. But as the weight comes off, our brain plays tricks, and we focus more on our looks and forget the advice that we were given to get to where we need to be and all the work that it takes. Not an easy journey, but for me necessary, I want to live to be 100 if it is possible. Without this surgery, I might live another ten, which is better than the five years they gave me five years ago before I started this journey.

im not as afraid anymore. now that i am positive im doing this, ive just accepted it. ive started preparing meals for my family to freeze. i have a babysitter lined up, in case of complications. i have frozen about 3 gallons of various liquids from broth Soups. ive bought Protein powders, and ive given it to God.

if it is my time- its my time. if not, its not. i am trying to prevent all of the health issues that have plagued my obese family members for as long as i can remember. diabetes and heart conditions have taken my family- one after the other.

i honestly could care less how i end up looking. i think im attractive already! i told my husband i will have skin for days- but he better be prepared to live with it- cause i am NOT having another surgery unless i absolutely have to. LOL!

im so grateful for this site! i dont feel so alone...especially as a bandster to bypass.

Normal. I had my surgery yesterday n I got cold feet Sunday night. Everything went very well. I will go home to mow. Won't b Abel to do much for a few days but that's ok

Funny - it says you "will go home to mow". Nine days after surgery that's what I did - mow the grass. I have an acre of grass and use a self-propelled push mower. That's how quickly I felt better. :-)

You know' date=' I can relate b/c I feel the exact same way. TERRIFIED of just the thought of it. I felt the same way w/ the band. I wish I had listened and did RNY in the first place but it was the fear that led me to the band. This is my last chance and my diabetes may not wait on me to keep procrastinating before complications start. I must do this for my health and it would be nice to look good too. I'm tired of changing clothes 4-5 times before going to work b/c of not looking good in whatever I put on. We are all in this together. LET'S DO THIS![/quote']

Feeling great is definitely the goal - and I do - but looking better is a close second! At the time of my surgery I was a sz22/2X and I had only one pair of slacks that fit (tightly) and a couple tops. I was miserable and REFUSED to buy more fat clothes. Nothing looked good on me because I am so short (5' tall). Shopping for clothes reduced me to tears and I'd drown my sorrows in gooey pastry. Now only four months later I'm down 72 pounds. My sz16's are getting loose (14's are still a little snug) and I'm wearing 'L' tops. I LOVE shopping. I don't even have to buy - a lot of times I go to stores just to try on clothes because it's FUN! I don't have to buy something just because it fits - they ALL fit! Now I buy things because I LIKE them!

There's no need to be terrified. I had rotator cuff surgery four years ago and that was WAY worse as far as pain went and the recovery was months long (it takes close to a year to completely heal, I was in a sling for 10 weeks). With my RNY the pain was minimal, recovery was fast, and I felt good by 1-2 weeks and great by 3 weeks. Good luck to you!

terry1118, I know how you feel. I'm 5' 3" tall and I never look good in my clothes it's a day to day struggle trying to find something that won't make me look sloppy or too big. Yes, I'm afraid but ready to get a date and finalize it.

im not as afraid anymore. now that i am positive im doing this, ive just accepted it. ive started preparing meals for my family to freeze. i have a babysitter lined up, in case of complications. i have frozen about 3 gallons of various liquids from broth Soups. ive bought Protein powders, and ive given it to God.

if it is my time- its my time. if not, its not. i am trying to prevent all of the health issues that have plagued my obese family members for as long as i can remember. diabetes and heart conditions have taken my family- one after the other.

i honestly could care less how i end up looking. i think im attractive already! i told my husband i will have skin for days- but he better be prepared to live with it- cause i am NOT having another surgery unless i absolutely have to. LOL!

im so grateful for this site! i dont feel so alone...especially as a bandster to bypass.

You and I both have the same family issues with health. I already have diabetes w/o those complications yet (THANK GOD) therefore; I am getting over this fear to try to make a difference.

terry1118' date=' I know how you feel. I'm 5' 3" tall and I never look good in my clothes it's a day to day struggle trying to find something that won't make me look sloppy or too big. Yes, I'm afraid but ready to get a date and finalize it.[/quote']

You'll be fine. It's perfectly normal to be nervous or afraid. In no time at all you'll be on the other side wondering why you worried and experiencing your own exciting milestones on the way to a new, healthier you. :-)

Feeling great is definitely the goal - and I do - but looking better is a close second! At the time of my surgery I was a sz22/2X and I had only one pair of slacks that fit (tightly) and a couple tops. I was miserable and REFUSED to buy more fat clothes. Nothing looked good on me because I am so short (5' tall). Shopping for clothes reduced me to tears and I'd drown my sorrows in gooey pastry. Now only four months later I'm down 72 pounds. My sz16's are getting loose (14's are still a little snug) and I'm wearing 'L' tops. I LOVE shopping. I don't even have to buy - a lot of times I go to stores just to try on clothes because it's FUN! I don't have to buy something just because it fits - they ALL fit! Now I buy things because I LIKE them!

There's no need to be terrified. I had rotator cuff surgery four years ago and that was WAY worse as far as pain went and the recovery was months long (it takes close to a year to completely heal, I was in a sling for 10 weeks). With my RNY the pain was minimal, recovery was fast, and I felt good by 1-2 weeks and great by 3 weeks. Good luck to you!

i can just HEAR the happiness in your words...makes me teary eyed! so so so so happy for you!!!!!!

i can just HEAR the happiness in your words...makes me teary eyed! so so so so happy for you!!!!!!

You and I both have the same family issues with health. I already have diabetes w/o those complications yet (THANK GOD) therefore; I am getting over this fear to try to make a difference.

one thing is certain- time is going by...and its coming. like it or not! LOL!

i bought a bunch of stuff today...a magic bullet, cute Water bottles with oz. on them, and even more Protein powder.

i bought a bunch of stuff today...a magic bullet, cute Water bottles with oz. on them, and even more Protein powder.< /p>

i bought a bunch of stuff today...a magic bullet' date=' cute Water bottles with oz. on them, and even more Protein powder.[/quote']

I bought, and still use, appetizer forks and spoons to eat with. And pretty appetizer plates. They are smaller and the perfect size for the small bites we're supposed to take. It keeps me from eating too much too fast. :-) And it adds a bit of elegance to my tiny meal. It's hard to feel deprived when it's presented so nicely. It feels special. :-)

Other than my small dinnerware, the thing I bought pre-op that I use the most is a ceramic bowl that has a plastic cover w/a steam vent that closes for storage or opens for microwave heating. The bowl is 1/2 cup size, comes in pretty designs, and heats thing perfectly in the microwave in just one minute. (It also comes on other larger sizes.) I use it to heat my Soup and homemade chili, and I take it to work to heat my lunch. I found it at TJMaxx (Marshalls also has it) for only $2.99. :-)

i bought a bunch of stuff today...a magic bullet' date=' cute Water bottles with oz. on them, and even more Protein powder.[/quote']

I bought, and still use, appetizer forks and spoons to eat with. And pretty appetizer plates. They are smaller and the perfect size for the small bites we're supposed to take. It keeps me from eating too much too fast. :-) And it adds a bit of elegance to my tiny meal. It's hard to feel deprived when it's presented so nicely. It feels special. :-)

Other than my small dinnerware, the thing I bought pre-op that I use the most is a ceramic bowl that has a plastic cover w/a steam vent that closes for storage or opens for microwave heating. The bowl is 1/2 cup size, comes in pretty designs, and heats thing perfectly in the microwave in just one minute. (It also comes on other larger sizes.) I use it to heat my Soup and homemade chili, and I take it to work to heat my lunch. I found it at TJMaxx (Marshalls also has it) for only $2.99. :-)

i will def be looking for that! i saw some really cute tiny asian inspired soup bowls i almost bought. i was like okay, its time to STOP! LOL!