Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

nursejb - did you have surgery yet. Mine is Nov. 8th?

oldoneyoungagain - Not a problem. You're forgiven. I've just heard it all before.

I had to quit smoking 6 weeks before surgery. They even did a nicotine test on me a week before surgery. It was tough. Probably one of the toughest things I've done. But now being 3 1/2 weeks post op, I can honestly say I don't want to smoke anymore. I even bought a pack of smokes, took about 2 drags and threw the whole pack away. It's just not the same anymore. I'm actually enjoying being a non smoker now!

nursejb - did you have surgery yet. Mine is Nov. 8th?

Hey your surgery is the day b4 my bday! surgery date is sept 30! good luck

Thank you and good luck to you. I guess we will both have new birthdays now. Aren't you excited and nervous?

AnniesMommy - I'm so proud of you!!! I am hoping I can join you on the other side. How is the post op going? I am super excited about my surgery Nov. 8th.

Thank you and good luck to you. I guess we will both have new birthdays now. Aren't you excited and nervous?

uea a new birthday and i cant wait! the only thing im nervous about is how long it will be until my state disability kicks in lol dont want to be without money other than that im not nervous yet. i went.and did my preop labs today and took an ekg and that made me a little nervous .lol

Nursejb - How exciting is that? You're date is coming up fast. I'll be thinking of you. Hopefully you will keep me informed of how it's going, etc...I will be 1 month and 8 days behind you. You can prepare me. Did you have to do a 2 week pre op. I do. Don't know how I will get through it, but I will. :)

I feel for you i was a smoker 35 yrs and i decided i want this surgery more than anyhting with my fiance help im smoke free 2 moths now with e- ciggs and pure determination you can do it. :)

I've never been a smoker but my surgeon does a nicotine test on the day of surgery on all his patients. He said he'll cancel surgery if the test comes back positive.

I have heard about the nicotine test from others. I'm grateful, well maybe not to grateful, that my doc doesn't require one.

I've never been a smoker but my surgeon does a nicotine test on the day of surgery on all his patients. He said he'll cancel surgery if the test comes back positive.

At my nurse education class they told us that my surgeon does a nicotine test too. If you test positive they cancel surgery, reschedule in three months. A second failure and you're out of the program. Smoking is a serious risk for surgical patients.

I am not a smoker but my husband was years ago. I know how hard it was for him to quit (it was hard on us too - he was absolutely miserable). After my surgery everything tasted and smelled strange - nothing was appealing. That lasted almost a month. Maybe it'll be the same with smoking? If so, maybe that will help you quit? Good luck to you.

The above reply was in reference to nicotine testing mentioned by Renee but directed to Thermo2000, whose surgeon doesn't require nicotine testing. :-)

I'm a smoker too. I came home on oxygen and was on it for a couple of weeks. I stopped about a week before but it wasn't long enough.

TX Patty - Ut oh. I better start stopping. I have 5 weeks left to surgery. Why did you need oxygen? Pain? Can't breathe?