Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just couldn't breathe. When I was in the hospital they would have me blow into this thing and I couldn't even get the ball to the halfway mark. :( I also had a blood transfusion though I don't know if it was related. I had to stay for 4 days and was still sent home with oxygen. Just bad all around.

I am so scared that I cannot quit. I walk to my door now and can't breathe. My BMI is also 44 which is a lot higher than yours. What am I going to do? Scarwee!!!!

I am a smoker. Not good, I know. However, I honestly don't think I can even cut down on smoking before my surgery in November 2013. Has anyone ever walked a mile in my shoes? If so, how did you make out? Thank you.

I am a smoker.. and I smoked the night before my surgery and after.. I am still alive and kicking! So I mean its up to you.. I knew of the risks, just couldn't cut the habit at all...

Thank god! I really don't think I can quit. Are you still smoking?

don't know why that line is through my typing. Good night all. Thank you for the comments.

yes I am still smoking.. I could never quit.. and don't really care to at the moment... lol horrible I know.. but its my addiction.

yes I am still smoking.. I could never quit.. and don't really care to at the moment... lol horrible I know.. but its my addiction.

How long after did u start smoking ?

I think I waited 1 week or so and was corrupted by friends! so I took it up again... I was also on nexium though to help prevent ulcers... but never had a problem with them.. in fact I was off of my nexium 6 months out and was fine.

Please be careful. Everyone is different. You could have a hard time with anesthesia, so many things could go wrong.

Agreed. I was truthful with mine.. so they took extra precautions. I was also on the somewhat smaller side and I was 28 when I had my surgery.. I mean you know the risks and the Drs do tell you not to smoke for a good reason.. its because of your circulation and any type of nicotine not just smoking can effect it.. you are also at a higher risk for infection.. but you asked for an honest answer so I gave you mine.. they also ask if you can walk up a flight of stairs without any complication.. and I was able to do that without being out of breath.. so take all of that and figure out which route your going to go.. It's a life changing surgery.. and a major surgery at that! So just do your research.. your results may not be the same as mine and is a cigg really worth it? I personally couldn't kick the habit.. and am grateful that it turned out the way it did.

I smoked for 20 years. Quit off and on. Quit for 6 months when I had the band. Tried it all, patch, gum, chantix. Finally, I had my mind made up and tried chantix again. I stopped in February and used e-cigs occasionally if I had a few drinks. I'm done this time for good. I still have cravings but feel so much better! I can smell it on someone right away. I used to spray perfume thinking no one could smell it on me but now I know that nothing can mask that smell. I wish you the best of luck with stopping. I know how hard it is. But do it for you, you deserve to be healthy!

I quit three months before my surgery... then picked it back up about three months after....its not good.

I'm still having 3/4 a week. Next I'm trying hypnosis. Chantix makes me nuts!

Oh yeah, chantix made me nuts as well! I was smoking for about 20 years and quit cold turkey about 1.5 weeks prior the surgery. I tried quitting before but I could never make it longer than 6 months. My doctor have me huge motivation to keep myself from smoking - he always tests for nicotine and would not perform the surgery if you tested positive on the procedure day. After the surgery I had cravings, but I figured I don't want to waste all that effort and start again... I think smoking makes you higher risk for ulcers as well, no? Anyway... I'd highly suggest ecigarettes. They were a lifesaver in the past and you can get nicotine free liquid for it... I know this is sooo hard...