Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bread/rice/pasta discussion

I decided to move this discussion over here, so as not to drift anyone's question thread too badly :)

I'm trying to learn more about what I can try and what I definitely should stay away from.

The questions I have are this:

When one of you says you can't have bread, do you mean ALL bread? Or does the higher grained bread seem less evil? How about toasted vs. not? English muffins? Bagles? Flour tortillas vs. corn tortillas?

On rice, is it just white rice that is a big problem, or is it ALL rice?

Pasta - again, ALL Pasta or are specific kinds a problem? I've seen lots of people say they eat spaghetti.

Your experiences and opinions welcomed!

It seems that all questions about what you can and cannot eat or drink must be answered individually. In general, you can eat or drink anything you want with the band IF you can do so without problems. People say they can't eat bread because it is a Gummy thing that tends to get stuck in the little hour glass opening we have after the band is in place. Same with rice and Pasta. But some people can eat these things even with the band, and there is no reason not to eat them if you can do so and still lose weight.

As for types of bread, yes, whole grains are less gummy so they tend to go down more easily. Toast is also less gummy and people find that they can tolerate it a little better.

But remember, even if you "can" eat bread or Pasta, it's probably not something to eat a lot of if you want to do well with the band. Our stomachs are much smaller after the band is in place. In order to get proper nutrition to stay strong and healthy you need to us that small space wisely. If you fill it up with Wonder Bread you are going to have a hard time getting in the nutrients you need.

And, as a back drop to this whole discussion, in general you need to do what your doctor says. If the doctor says "no bread," then you should avoid it for that reason.

Helen, what I've seen happen with several people is up to the individual. You just have to decide what or how much you want to try and get away with. My wife has NOT even touched white bread, but she has had corn bread and a little pizza dough. She has trouble with white rice, but not mexican rice. She has even had spaghetti and mac and cheese, so go figure. Some individuals couldn't get down a cracker. Joy has trouble with scrambled eggs. They stick like glue. She's been able thus far to pass them on through, but I don't think you could force her to eat one right now....LOL

Its an individual thing - bread, rice and Pasta (but particularly bread) are common foods that are difficult to eat with good restriction, but its not that you're not allowed to have them.

Like anything, in moderation they can form part of a healthy diet, but you'd be better served by choosing wholegrain/organic varieties and crossing crappy white supermarket bread off your list for good.

I dont like it when people imply that you have to give it up because its a worthless food and will make you fat. I'm almost at goal weight and I've eaten bread, rice and Pasta all the way through.

I guess I should have been more clear :eek:

I hate white bread. Always have, but I love the high grain breads, especially toasted! Not a big bagel fan, but love english muffins and croissants.

I understand that people aren't saying you "can't" have these things, and that it's individual as to whether you can get get them down. I was seeking the experiences of the people here, simply to see which foods were universally problematic, because if there's a food that 90% of the bandsters have a problem with, believe me, I'm staying away from it! :)

That said, thank you for your responses!

I can't have rice at all. I can have a very small portion of Pasta, if I get spaghetti and it has to be angel hair. I mean 1/4 of a child's portion and I am done. I eat wheat crackers, but bread does not work for me. Like I said in another thread, I had 1/2 a grilled cheese sandwich and knew it was time for a fill. If I can eat bread I am not restricted properly. I will try a piece of the crust of bread and regret it, one would think I would learn, but I guess not. I finally gave up trying rice a few months ago and I am over 18 months post-op. It just never works and always causes me pain and 99% of the time a PB. Just not worth it to me. I have also given up mac n cheese, that too took some time for me to finally say, Done, no more. ~Mandy

I can eat rice, potatoes, Pasta, and sometimes bread. One day I can eat bread and the next time I can't. You really just have to try a food to see, and just because you can't eat it today, then maybe three weeks from now you can. Just experiement!

Some days I can have a dry bread with other things, but most of the time bread is a no go for me. I choose melba toast instead and love it! Sometimes I can do Pasta, sometimes I can't, rice is the same. You will find that there are very few foods that you can't eat. However many foods will be somewhere on your caution list. You will come to learn when you feel tight not to try this or that, and when you feel more open know that you can have something that other days you can't. Does that make sense at all. I would say that probably the most common problamatic foods are doughy bread, sticky rice, and Pasta for most bandsters.

My nutristionist said that it is ok and even normal to PB occasionally as I learn what I can and can't tolerate. It is not a pleasant experience I can tell you, but we are all on a learning curve and all our bodies are different. If you like whole grain breads try them! Take a few bites toasted and see how it goes, then the next day try it again maybe non toasted and see how it goes. This is the process I go through.

If I eat Pasta it has to be angel hair (lots of sauce) and only 1/2 to 1 cup (thats it) bread for me is sometimey....I cant do regular store bread but can do a bakery crusty bread. I like english muffins and can do them. It really all depends.

I dont eat any bread products at all. THey dont go down

no mattr what kind of bread product it is....Biskets, toast, Buns ect

So I just don't eat them at all.. I guess I am doing myself a favor anyway.. less calories, and carbs..after 1 year I dont miss it at all

Diane

Just the thought of eating bread makes me want to pb, although, I'd love a great big, juicy cheeseburger, bread and all, BUT, that would defeat my purpose of chosing the band.

I can eat tiny bites of angel hair Pasta, but with great care and it takes so long time to eat it.

For me, I'm so glad bread is not a food of choice, believe me, I make enough bad choices without the bread, LOL.

(stay away from the cheese puffs)

I haven't had any trouble with Pasta (must be the sauce) although I eat a very small amount. bread in all forms is a different story - sometimes it goes, most times no - and that includes crackers, I have those carbs very rarely and in tiny amounts - if bread, toasted is the only way - dry, white plain bread just won't work.

I am assuming that all of this happened after you were properly restricted? I am going for my fill tomorrow and have had no problem with any of the above foods. I haven't had them often but I have had some of them, breads, Pasta etc. I have restriction, some, because I can't eat the portion sizes that I used to and I have had a few issues with "stuckage" but nothing that wouldn't go down. That will or could change with each fill, right?

I have a VG band and am filled at 6cc's. I have good restriction. Some days I can eat more than other days. My band is fickle! I have managed to loose 60 lbs in one year and have 30 to go. My doctor is pleased. I eat a well balanced group of foods. If I can eat bread, I will make a good choice and have 1/2 slice of Whole wheat (toasted). If I eat pizza, its 1 silce of veggie. A burger is lean meat or a boca burger (only 1/2) All of us and our bands are different. I eat good food but in small portions and find that it works for me. Maybe if I get another fill I may not be able to tolerate bread or Pasta