Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and 8 days from surgery

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site, I just found it last night. I'm having gastric bypass surgery on August 7th and am on day 3 of the liver reduction diet.

I lost weight all on my own and kept it off for 5 years. I have gained a great deal of it back and just don't feel like I have the strength to do it myself again, I'm tired of the constant fight with food. If I'm not eating, I"m thinking about eating. I am also a stress eater and have a lot of stress in my life that I can't get away from so I have to find a better way to deal with it.

As I sit here tonight, feeling really empty physically, I am kind of feeling that way mentally too. I'm in a strange mood about the whole thing. I'm not really afraid of the surgery right now half as much as I"m afraid of failing again. I busted my butt to lose that weight before! I worked so hard. Yet, here I am. What if I fail again? I am more afraid of that than anything. I know I"ll lose the weight initially, but if I couldn't keep it off before why will this be different? That scares me to death! Talk about the ultimate failure.

So, at least tonight, that is what is running through my mind and it has me a little down. I'm glad I have this site to read and hopefully get advice.

Lisa

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site, I just found it last night. I'm having gastric bypass surgery on August 7th and am on day 3 of the liver reduction diet.

I lost weight all on my own and kept it off for 5 years. I have gained a great deal of it back and just don't feel like I have the strength to do it myself again, I'm tired of the constant fight with food. If I'm not eating, I"m thinking about eating. I am also a stress eater and have a lot of stress in my life that I can't get away from so I have to find a better way to deal with it.

As I sit here tonight, feeling really empty physically, I am kind of feeling that way mentally too. I'm in a strange mood about the whole thing. I'm not really afraid of the surgery right now half as much as I"m afraid of failing again. I busted my butt to lose that weight before! I worked so hard. Yet, here I am. What if I fail again? I am more afraid of that than anything. I know I"ll lose the weight initially, but if I couldn't keep it off before why will this be different? That scares me to death! Talk about the ultimate failure.

So, at least tonight, that is what is running through my mind and it has me a little down. I'm glad I have this site to read and hopefully get advice.

Lisa

Hello Lisa and welcome!

I am also new here I have only been on here about two weeks. I am pre surgery as well. I totally understand about loosing and gaining it all back. I have done that in the past many times. Right now I weigh 467 pounds my highest weight was 491. I have just started this process. I have to loose 34pounds before my doctor will start the process. He wants me at 450. I believe that this surgery is going to be a tool that helps us loose weight and keep it off. I can loose weight all day but with out help I know I will gain it back. This site has been a tremendous help to me. People are so supportive here. If you have any questions someone has been there and done that so they can surely answer your questions. Don't stress yourself out and worry about things. This is a tool and it will defiantly help you loose and keep it off. Good luck on your journey!!

Thank you so much! The work you have to do to get to surgery is pretty involved so at least for me, time went very fast. You'll get that 34 pounds off because knowing you will get the surgery as a reward will motivate you. I hope it will help me keep it off but as I said, I'm afraid. I have been reading through some posts and people say things like I ate too much fruit and am gaining again and that makes me panic. Fruit is not my problem lol. Good luck to you as well, maybe we can help each other get through it all!

Thanks !! And I am trying to stay positive as well. It's hard because I don't have any support around me. These forums has become my best friend lately. I like reading everyone's stories the good and the bad. They have really helped me decide that I want this surgery. So this 34 pounds is gong to be the first step to my new life. Keep me posted about your surgery and recovery I would love to hear how things are going. Also give me an idea of what to expect when it's my turn. :)

You bet! I haven't told anyone that I am having the surgery except for my ex. So, I have limited the support. I really didn't want everyone's opinion. This is really something you need to decide for yourself. Keep in touch and I'll do the same! I'll tell you, this pre op liquid diet will do it for you. I've lost 9.5 pounds in 2 days! It's hideous though lol. Personally, I preferred Atkins. I lost fast and could eat steak :)

Hello everyone,

Lisa

I hear ya! I am so afraid this won't work, or, if it does, I will gain it all back! Lets face it, if we had good eating habits, and were willing to change our lifestyle for goos, then we wouldn't be in this situation to begin with!

I am a band to bypass revision and my surgery is the 19th. I lost 60 lb with my lapband prior to getting pregnant. I have since had two beautiful boys, and gained all that weight plus some back. I don't have to do a pre-op diet, so I find myself going back and forth in my head "go ahead and eat ice cream, a Big Mac, pizza - you will not have those things ever again", and "eat healthy now, practice the new rules you will have to follow, lose a few pounds before surgery." However, the former usually wins out, and I will probably end up gaining 5 more pounds!!

I don't have any words of wisdom, but at least you know you are not alone!!

You bet! I haven't told anyone that I am having the surgery except for my ex. So, I have limited the support. I really didn't want everyone's opinion. This is really something you need to decide for yourself. Keep in touch and I'll do the same! I'll tell you, this pre op liquid diet will do it for you. I've lost 9.5 pounds in 2 days! It's hideous though lol. Personally, I preferred Atkins. I lost fast and could eat steak :)

I have found that everyone does have an opinion. I have to cut people off because a lot of people want to tell you want bad things they have heard. I only take advice from people who have and the surgery. That way I can form my own opinion. That's why I like this site!! And I was thinking about going on the liquid diet just to loose these last 17 pounds. I think I will start tomorrow.

I hear ya! I am so afraid this won't work, or, if it does, I will gain it all back! Lets face it, if we had good eating habits, and were willing to change our lifestyle for goos, then we wouldn't be in this situation to begin with!

I am a band to bypass revision and my surgery is the 19th. I lost 60 lb with my lapband prior to getting pregnant. I have since had two beautiful boys, and gained all that weight plus some back. I don't have to do a pre-op diet, so I find myself going back and forth in my head "go ahead and eat ice cream, a Big Mac, pizza - you will not have those things ever again", and "eat healthy now, practice the new rules you will have to follow, lose a few pounds before surgery." However, the former usually wins out, and I will probably end up gaining 5 more pounds!!

I don't have any words of wisdom, but at least you know you are not alone!!

You are so lucky you don't have to loose any weight before hand. This is the hardest thing I have ever done. It's mainly hard because I have a daycare and two Foster children plus my own one year old. With all the stress with the kids daily I just want to eat all day long. I have been fighting my self. I went out and bought sugar free Popsicles and sugar free Jello to try to curb those urges. Hopefully I can get through this. Good luck with your revision and congrats on your two little boys!! Eventually I want to have a biological child. My one year old is adopted. But my goal is to loose weight first.

I hear ya! I am so afraid this won't work' date=' or, if it does, I will gain it all back! Lets face it, if we had good eating habits, and were willing to change our lifestyle for goos, then we wouldn't be in this situation to begin with!

I don't have any words of wisdom, but at least you know you are not alone!![/quote']

I ate anything that didn't bite me back a couple weeks before this pre op diet because i had the same thought....ill never get it again! Look, no one goes into rehab sober! I will say this, I'm kind of glad i did because i made myself really sick of my favorites. I'm hungry on this pre OP diet but I'm not craving anything in particular, i just want real food lol

The pre op liquid diet isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was gonna be...and you do drop pounds fast...the time is flying tho!!! My surgery is Tuesday...coming sooo quickly!! Good luck to you all!

You are so lucky you don't have to loose any weight before hand. This is the hardest thing I have ever done. It's mainly hard because I have a daycare and two Foster children plus my own one year old. With all the stress with the kids daily I just want to eat all day long. I have been fighting my self. I went out and bought sugar free Popsicles and sugar free Jello to try to curb those urges. Hopefully I can get through this. Good luck with your revision and congrats on your two little boys!! Eventually I want to have a biological child. My one year old is adopted. But my goal is to loose weight first.

How are you doing with your weight loss, Ammariehs mommy? Hope you are ok :)