Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Even if people may not be in the "right place" when they begin the process, given a little time they may be ready. A lot of the desire for the foods is a psychological hunger. Part of the process to obtain approval for surgery was the psychological evaluation which looked at support system, your understanding of the procedure and the impact of your life. A lot of people get stressed, sad, mad, etc and turn to food. They wanted to make sure you plan for how you will cope with these situations post-op. Sometimes people get excited about the weight loss aspect of the surgery and lose sight of what they will be going through.

I have surgery July 3rd and my focus at this point is that I am excited to get active again. I have a lot of knee pain right now, and a very low energy level. I am looking forward to gaining back that energy and also gaining the mobility back. I get caught up in the things I could do in my past. I was a powerlifter and could bench press 165lbs. I ran with a group of friends 5 days a week, we ran various routes 3-8 miles depending on the day. I look forward to gaining that kind of mobility back.

I feel like the weight loss will be an additional benefit don't get me wrong and to most people it will be the most obvious changes. I think if you focus only on the weight loss you may find myself struggling more than usual post-op. I think the time it takes to get prepared for this surgery should be taken very seriously by everyone contemplating it and start making adjustments to the way you look at food and the way you cope with stress. Ensure that is in place prior to surgery to easy the transition. I will still have struggles but I will have prepared well enough to have a plan to deal with it.

Ok, as I write this I find that I use "you" a lot. I am just speaking in general and do not direct it towards anyone on this blog. I in no way mean to offend anyone I am just speaking from my perspective and how I have chosen to view this entire process. I hope it may help someone.

Here is my experience: I had limited complications after surgery and had to stay in the hospital a few extra days plus keep that surgical drain in for about three weeks. In the 7 months since surgery I have vomited a total of ONE time. I have no regrets and would do it all over again if necessary. My biggest fear was not the surgery but maintaining weight post surgery. To me, weight regain would be the biggest complication. My weight loss is now very slow - 2 pounds per month. So I am entering the maintenance period and trying to apply what I have learned.

I must say that pre surgery I was very nervous (it was my first surgery). But now I know that if I need surgery again (probably will need something taken out or adjusted), I will not be as fearful. Going through the surgery seemed like a rite of passage. In a strange way, I "grew" as a result of the surgery.

Whatever your decision, I wish you and everyone else great success in the weight loss journey!

Riisey007 I know exactly what you mean. I have been pinning outfits on Pinterest to keep myself excited. I have not purchased a lot of clothes in this size. It is very stressful when we have an event to attend and then I do not have anything to wear. My husband is very fit, we use to run and lift together, so it is very stressful when these events come up. I am excited to shop again and it will nice to go into my closet and the struggle will be which outfit to wear. You have the right outlook and seem to be a very positive person. Those grandbabies can be a great motivation to stay on track. I have two girls a 15 year old and a 9 year old and I am looking forward to being an active part of their life. Best of luck to you and I hope to see you continuing to blog on here.

Common complications? I run a support group. The most common complications that I see are:

- Vitamin deficiencies esp Iron

-dumping and reactor hypoglycemia.

-gallbladder issues and removal needed

-ulcers (NSAID use or smoking)

-strictures

-hernias

There's been a handful with

-twisted bowels (obstructions), Intussusception

-pneumonia

-leaks

-blood clots.

And quite a few: substantial or total regain.

This is a support group that has hundred of members.

Regardless, I don't know one person who after the first 6 months, regrets surgery.

Dawn

We must always keep in mind that not everyone will experience problems and when listening to others and their experiences we should really be cautious. Some of these blogs that I have read on different sites should come with warning signs all over them. Always remember when receiving second hand information or third hand that you never know the entire story. People only tell you what they know which may not be much. I Actually had to call some out on you tube that posted a video of how the lapband failed her and that no one should get it' date=' of course there were quite a few people who were apprehensive to have the surgery after watching her rant and rage for 12 minutes. My question to her was did the lapband fail her or did she fail the lapband?, Wls is a tool and if we dont get off of our butts and use or tools by getting in the gym, walking, lifting weights, cutting out fatty foods etc, we will fail at wls. I asked her how she was with exercising and monitoring her food intake and I never received a reply, I even inboxed her. So this is the problem, people are not being accountable and it is continuing after wls and this causes wls to not work. I told my doctor that during my 6 month diet I had a lot of changes to make because I have a big sweet tooth and it was not under control, I have to say 3 months into this 6 month diet I know that I can eat fruit, make a smoothie, or even have yogurt instead of having a twix, cheesescake,etc. Every surgery poses a threat to your life, but as it stands right now my life is being cut short daily by being as big as I am. I have read stories and I fortunately have witnessed with my eyes a lot of success stories. I just talked to a dear friend from high school that just told me today that she had no problems at all after her wls surgery and now 4 months later. Sorry for the long post but just be mindful that second hand info does not always give you all the information.[/quote']

No THANKYOU for the long post. Ive been hesitant for my wls because of fear of dumping and never being able to taste anything sweet ever again Still anxious - I need lots of input, keep it coming.

When in the throes of dumping, it can be pretty awful. Heart palpitations, sweating profusely, cramps etc. that said, most of us will not be dumpers or if we are, it will primarily be siring the first year out. Far more people won't dump than will. Most of us after a while can eat virtually anything and yes that is the problem. Lol

Dawn

No THANKYOU for the long post. Ive been hesitant for my wls because of fear of dumping and never being able to taste anything sweet ever again Still anxious - I need lots of input' date=' keep it coming.[/quote']

You can still taste a bite or two of sweet, even if you dump. A bite won't do it, a slice of cake will. I am a dumper when it comes to simple sugars. This morning I had scrambled egg, bacon, and a small pancake with a drizzle of Syrup. A drizzle is fine (or use sugar free) if you work it into your calorie allowance. For me nothing is off limits, in moderation. I can eat a bite or two of anything and get my fix. When I had my damn band I could eat almost nothing, it was insane! This has been a little slice of even. (Now if you're a crazy sweet eater this story may not hold true, I had to learn, through misery, to take 2 bites of dessert and stop, otherwise I dump til I think I'll die, but if you can't make yourself stop after a bite or two you may want to stay away completely).

It's a learning curve for sure!!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 206.8

I want to know more about dumping syndrome, what triggers it, how bad is it?

You might find the information in my post "Dumping the Confusion About Dumping" informative. Just search for that title here on the forum. You're gonna love the new you!!