Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm waiting for my surgery date and lately I've been hearing from friends about their friends who've had RNY. About how they have trouble controlling their bowels and some have died from complications, etc.

it beginning to scare me and before hearing these "warnings" I was very sure about wanting the surgery. I think I still am, but I'm more scared now more than ever. What are the most common complications post op?

I heard horror stories,too. The fact is that rny is safer than gallbladder surgery. Common complications are things like strictures and ulcers. Talk to your Dr. I found that the people who told horror stories were woefully uniformed. I had surgery on 4/29 and have had no complications. Loss of bowel control? Maybe if you eat sugar and dump before you can get to a bathroom, but I doubt it. The answer to most complications is to follow the plan to a t. Eat clean. Chew well, etc. If you're worried, talk to your doctor at length and they will outline every possible complication. Also remember that most people don't know that rny is mostly done laproscopically now....it used to be more dangerous and people don't have current information.

That is scary. I follow the doc's instructions. I don't want to take chances, get sick, fail or harm myself in anyway. food is not worth my life. Talk with your doc, ask lots of questions and follow the docs orders. Best wishes ;)

That's exactly why I only told the people closest to me. I knew people would have to share their opinion with me and I didn't want to hear it! I had one complication 5 days after surgery. I would do it again in a heartbeat! People are too quick to judge and they are not informed.

I have heard that you can have the bowel issue if you eat something you are not suppose to or if you drink liquids with your meals. I have not had the surgery yet, I have a week and a half. I am excited but reading every blog I can to try to educate myself on what to expect. Learn the do's and dont's. I have a list of things I can eat from my physician, I will follow it to the T.

As long as you follow your surgeon's and his team's advice, you should be fine. Focus on the positive rather then the negatives from everybody else.

We all go thru different experiences based on the choices we make.

We must always keep in mind that not everyone will experience problems and when listening to others and their experiences we should really be cautious. Some of these blogs that I have read on different sites should come with warning signs all over them. Always remember when receiving second hand information or third hand that you never know the entire story. People only tell you what they know which may not be much. I Actually had to call some out on you tube that posted a video of how the lapband failed her and that no one should get it, of course there were quite a few people who were apprehensive to have the surgery after watching her rant and rage for 12 minutes. My question to her was did the lapband fail her or did she fail the lapband?, Wls is a tool and if we dont get off of our butts and use or tools by getting in the gym, walking, lifting weights, cutting out fatty foods etc, we will fail at wls. I asked her how she was with exercising and monitoring her food intake and I never received a reply, I even inboxed her. So this is the problem, people are not being accountable and it is continuing after wls and this causes wls to not work. I told my doctor that during my 6 month diet I had a lot of changes to make because I have a big sweet tooth and it was not under control, I have to say 3 months into this 6 month diet I know that I can eat fruit, make a smoothie, or even have yogurt instead of having a twix, cheesescake,etc. Every surgery poses a threat to your life, but as it stands right now my life is being cut short daily by being as big as I am. I have read stories and I fortunately have witnessed with my eyes a lot of success stories. I just talked to a dear friend from high school that just told me today that she had no problems at all after her wls surgery and now 4 months later. Sorry for the long post but just be mindful that second hand info does not always give you all the information.

"I heard from a friend of a friend who's cousin's wife had it..."

All hearsay and gossip and probably only 5% true with a lot of fill-in-the-blanks for them to juice it up. Talk to your doctor about your concerns. Maybe they can put you in touch with people who have actually done it to get their experiences first hand. And you have us. So many personal first hand experiences. For REAL. :-)

People love to dramatize. I remember when I was pregnant all the horror stories people told me about giving birth. For some reason people like to frighten you. In the end each experience is different and very personal. And in the case of weight loss surgery it is very dependent upon following instructions and making life style changes.

I agree, everything on here needs to be taken with a grain of salt. One of they things that they have mentioned in our support group out our hospital is that you will hear stories of things that worked for some and they may not work for you. I have friends that are 8-9 months out and have had very little problems, not even much nausea.

I also work in an ER that has nurses that use to work on a bypass floor and there are many stories of patients having family members bring them chicken nuggets while recovering from bypass surgery. I do not remember where the chicken nugget falls in the calendar for being an OK food. Another girl had her mom get her a strawberry milk shake and it ended in tragedy. If the food is not on your surgeon's list of foods to eat DO NOT EAT IT!!! We have come to far to suffer a setback now.

I agree SFacey, some people aren't very honest with themselves much less others but still want to dish out advice. The first thing to successful weightloss is being honest with yourself, coming clean and admitting where you went wrong and only after you face that and tackle it head on will you be ready to lose weight successfully. I think some people just don't confront their demons and so they never get a grip on eating correctly. I am pre op and at first I was mad about the 6 month diet requirement of my insurance but after I really sat down and thought about it I feel like it is very necessary. I began to print off recipes, articles, I found you guys, and it has made me look at food differently. Sometimes my mind will tell me I am still hungry but I know I have eaten enough and so I just ignore it, before deciding to have weightloss surgery I would go ahead and eat more and then feel sorry for myself, no more!! I want to live, I have 2 grand babies and my kids promised me a big birthday party. I also want to go in the mall and by pass Lane Bryant. I can't wait!! Don't let people scare you out of what you feel is right for you.

I agree' date=' everything on here needs to be taken with a grain of salt. One of they things that they have mentioned in our support group out our hospital is that you will hear stories of things that worked for some and they may not work for you. I have friends that are 8-9 months out and have had very little problems, not even much nausea.

I also work in an ER that has nurses that use to work on a bypass floor and there are many stories of patients having family members bring them chicken nuggets while recovering from bypass surgery. I do not remember where the chicken nugget falls in the calendar for being an OK food. Another girl had her mom get her a strawberry milk shake and it ended in tragedy. If the food is not on your surgeon's list of foods to eat DO NOT EAT IT!!! We have come to far to suffer a setback now.[/quote']

I just don't know how these people make it thru the screening process? That and I had absolutely no interest in food in the hospital. My husband brought mcdonalds in to eat for himself my second day. I wasn't tempted at all. It doesn't hurt that I didn't eat fast food beforehand either. It makes me sad that people take this huge drastic step and then immediately sabotage themselves.

I just don't know how these people make it thru the screening process? That and I had absolutely no interest in food in the hospital. My husband brought mcdonalds in to eat for himself my second day. I wasn't tempted at all. It doesn't hurt that I didn't eat fast food beforehand either. It makes me sad that people take this huge drastic step and then immediately sabotage themselves.

I agree don't sabotage yourselves after this process,I won't ever &I don't eat fast food now

A lot of very good information has already been posted here. One more idea is to speak with your clinic about support groups. These people, at least in my experience, are all patients who are working with your chosen care team. One thing that you will see on this site is that there are many different approaches to this procedure - and some of the ideas are good, some bad. Listen to your doctor and your care team. That said, I do not think you can learn enough about the procedure or the life changes it requires you to make. So keep seeking out information - I believe it is the only way to be at peace with this decision. Good luck!!

Statistically speaking, RNY is the most effective treatment known to medical science for the treatment of obesity and more than 30 comorbidities associated with obesity including type 2 diabetes, hypertension and sleep apnea. Surgery, any surgery, has associated risks and RNY is no exception. There simply are no absolutes. Do the research. Choose your sources carefully - ASMBS, Harvard Health, National Institute of Health, mayo Clinics - just to name a few. I think that you will find that the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor of having a life-changing experience that you will never regret. You're gonna love the new you!!