Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Were you fat as a kid?

I really envy those of you who have experienced being thin. Like I said in my earlier post, I was average until I hit puberty. The problem was that I hit puberty early enough that I wasn't really aware of my body before then. I have no idea what I'll look like when I lose this weight. I think it is a little easier for people who have experienced being a normal weight as an adult. They know what to look forward to and expect. They have that extra bit of motivation because they want to get back to that point. Those of us who have been heavy since childhood don't have that motivating factor. I mean, sure it would be nice to be thin, but what does thin feel like? It's almost like an abstract idea because we have never experienced it before.

I started out at 9'7. I was average toddler and young child and a stocky elementary age kid. I got chubby when I was about 11 and stayed that way through age 14. I slimmed down and spent most of my highschool years between 125-140ish and I was bigger than most so I did feel fat. I starting packing on pounds in college and averaged between 165-185. After I got married is when the weight gain really started and never got better. So I had brief times in my life when I was thin or at least healthy but nothing that has stuck. I can't wait to get to my goal and stay there.

I was a fat baby and toddler. I struggled with my weight when I was a teenager. I was in athletics and maintained my weight. My grandmother would make huge wonderful comfort meals with delicious homemade Desserts. As long as I was active in athletics I maintained my weight. Then I got married, gained weight, went on a diet, lost weight. Then I got Norplant, the five year birth control and gained 75 pounds. Then it was taken out and I got pregnant with my first child, lost the weight fairly quickly after her and soon after got pregnant with my son. I gained 85 pounds with him. Needless to say, I could never get rid of the weight. In April 2000 I started Atkins and lost 60 pounds. I moved back home and started eating comfort food again at my moms house and gained the weight back. Now to the present in August I was banded and as of today have lost 50 pounds. I started at 252 and am now at 202. Yea! My goal is 150. I know the question originated as were you fat as a kid but I felt there was more history to be told.

Dieta

It'd be interesting to really poll it to see what percentage of us have been heavy from childhood, how many of us gained during college years and how many (like me) who literally exploded after having babies.

I was never fat or even overweight as a child. I didn't put on weight until I went to college and discovered the joys of beer and crappy food - all while doing no exercise because Buffalo is jut too cold in the wintr.

When I was younger I played soccer, did gymnastics, and danced! I remember when I was a junior in high school, my dance company coach told me I needed to lose weight. I WAS 117 POUNDS!!! And we wonder where the pressure to be thin comes from.

God, fast forward 15 years and here I am... 100 pounds more than what I was in high school. But 50+ pounds less than what I was 4 months ago. Life is good.

It's weird, how much relativity is involved. The picture below was taken around the time I last felt comfortable about my body. At the time, although I felt comfortable, I also felt fat. And I was fat, relative to what I had weighed a few months before. But now I'd be thrilled if I could get there, even if I never went a pound below. What was I thinking?

post-205294-13813134650826_thumb.jpg

How did I miss this thread? It's very interesting to read all the different stories. I was about 8 1/2 pounds when I was born, chubby as a kid. When I hit puberty, which was around 10ish, I thinned out a little. I wasn't necessarily fat, but I wasn't skinny either.

I've always been "thick", big butt, big boobs. I think the smallest I've ever been was a 6 (for maybe like a month) in 9th grade. I didn't start gaining a lot of weight until I was a junior. I graduated high school weighing about 180. That was 11 years ago. I haven't been below 180 since 1997 and I've been yo-yoing between 190-230 for the past 5 years. Now I'm under 190 for the first time in about 8 years...I think this lapband thing is working. :)

I remember in kindergarten I thought I looked so cute on picture day, and this other kid said that I looked like Mrs. Piggy. That nickname followed me around FOREVER! I was maybe a wee bit chunkier than most girls my age. In high school I was a chearleader and I was even in the Miss Teen Texas Pageant, at about 150-175 (i'm 5'4), but I was always the "big" cheerleader, you know, the big girl representin'. I always felt big but I know I wasn't...i was about a 14-16, but back then, growing up in a small town, it wasn't easy to find those sizes so i always felt huge. I can't wait to get back down to that size...i'm shooting for a 16. My mother and grandmother harrased me constantly, I couldn't put ANYTHING in my mouth without being told to "put the soft pedal on". I always had high self esteem though, I was and still am beautiful, but post partum depression took a toll on me and pre op my weight balloned to the highest point ever which was 304. I think people will recognize me because I have one of those faces that never changes, but people will be damn suprized that's for sure.

Hi there,

I have been heavy since the age of 2. I too have no clue what it is to be thin nor do I know what I'll look like. I have my preop scheduled for monday so obviously I'll know more soon enough. :)

I was an average size at birth. I jokingly blame my Aunt for getting the ball rolling. According to my Mom, my Aunt used to babysit me and she thought that I had 'chicken legs' and used to overfeed me. I was overweight all through elementary school (my nickname was 'Miss Piggy') and by 5th grade I was a little over 100lbs. High School was the same and I bounced between 14 and 18 even though I participated in sports. When I went to college I lost about 20lbs due to a lack of edible food. From there i was in the low 200's and now things are just out of control and i'm at 267! Hopefully my insurance will go through and i'll be on my way to a healthier life.