Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op liver shrink diet!?!

Hello! I'm currently having to do a 4 week liver shrink diet. Surgeon wants me down between 10-20lbs for surgery on May 8th. My nutritionist gave me a list saying I should drink 5 Protein Shakes a day with a Protein Bar plus a calorie counted meal for dinner...

My question is, if anyone has done the same thing (rather only 2 weeks or 4 like me) HOW did you get into the rhythm of it? When did you drink the Protein shakes and how much time apart each?

Any feedback will be VERY helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I just had my surgery on 3/27 and had to do a pre-op liquid diet as well. I had to do it for 10 days. Each surgeon seems to do it a little different. Mine allowed 3-4 high Protein low carb shakes (Atkins Advantage) for meals and then I could pick 2 protein choices a day (fat free yogurt, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 2 oz deli turkey breast, hard boiled egg or 8 oz skim milk). Also allowed 1 cup steamed veg or 2 cup raw veg (non-starches). I found the shakes surprisingly do fill you up more than I expected and had one at each meal and one before bed, I spaced the yogurt and other Proteins mid morning and dinner and filled the veggies in between. Also had unlimited sugar free Jello, crystal light, sugar free popsicles and fat free broth as well. It's tough at first but doable, it seems to get easier after the first few days. I lost 14 pounds during my 10 days and my surgeon said my liver was shrunk which helps them perform the surgery more safely. Good luck!

I'm doing a liver shrink diet as well. I do one or two morning Protein Drinks, spaced a couple hours apart, the same for lunch and then lean Protein and steamed veg for dinner. I eat sugar free Jello for dessert and drink Water in between everything. No caffeine or carbonation. I reallllly miss my caffeine. I've been so sleepy without it, but the pounds are dropping off. I've got 8 more days of this before my surgery.

My surgeon put me on them on 3/20 and my surgery is 4/1. That's 11 days on "supposedly" 5 Protein Shakes a day. Now....your body only absorbs so much Protein at a time. Unfortunately I can barely choke these down. I finally ended up drinking them 3 times a day, but now I mix with TWO pouches the first two shakes of the day. Last shake I just use one mix. So I'm getting all 5. Now. First at about 10 am. Then next at 3, next at 8.

I doubled up my to my nut said it was ok I had 2 weeks of 2 shakes and 1 meal a day the 2 weeks of 5 shakes a day I usually did 4 doubled morning shake and evening shake then mid day a single shake you could also have broth and sf Jello pudding and Popsicle and no calorie drinks but no caffeine or carbonated drinks

I was on pre-op diet for 3 weeks . I had 4 shakes and one Soup . Breakfast lunch and dinner and 2 snaks .now I am on one shake (2 oz ) at a time 8 oz and 64 oz of Water. I am so ready to eat food . not hungry just sick of shakes!

I'm starting my 2 week liver shrink diet on Monday. I'm on 3 shakes a day with a light yogurt, 1 meal with 1 cup raw veggies & fat free dressing plus 2 Fiber supplements. Only thing is : I can't take more than 3 dairy items per day so if I have the yogurt with the shake I need to take the shake with something other than milk. What do you mix the Protein drinks with? I bought vanilla so I'm thinking vanilla Water will suck. Can't think of anything besides milk that would go with vanilla. I don't want to be cranky from not eating & grossed out! LOL

I'm starting my 2 week liver shrink diet on Monday. I'm on 3 shakes a day with a light yogurt' date=' 1 meal with 1 cup raw veggies & fat free dressing plus 2 fiber supplements. Only thing is : I can't take more than 3 dairy items per day so if I have the yogurt with the shake I need to take the shake with something other than milk. What do you mix the Protein drinks with? I bought vanilla so I'm thinking vanilla Water will suck. Can't think of anything besides milk that would go with vanilla. I don't want to be cranky from not eating & grossed out! LOL[/quote']

They asked me not to mix anything with my Protein Shakes. Im using chocolate Bariatric Advantage and just mix with a cup of cold Water. Taste fine to me!

Hi, I'm on week 2 of 4 shrinking liver diet. I usually try to do a shake every 4 hrs. and the Snacks every 2 hrs. The shakes keep me pretty full. Eating the crisps help with the desire to chew and crunch. I love crunchy foods! And I'm not talking celery either. This is going to be a life change from what I understand, so I'm trying to make it work! Good luck with your process, we can do it!!!