Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Life after Gastric Bypass surgery. How much does it change?

Hi everyone,

I have just a little over a week left before my surgery and I am freaking out about it. I am not worried about the surgery itself or the pain but more about how my life will change. Please fill me in on all of your experiences good or bad and let me know how things have changed for you. Thanks so much!!!

Aimee, you're going to do fantastic!

I'll share part of my story with you just for reassurance that you'll do just fine! So in August I had the sleeve surgery. It went terrible. The next 4 months were torture, every single day. Finally, I had corrective surgery & converted to rny in December and it's been so much better.

Even if things get tough, complications or no complication, you're going to find out how really strong you are. I think all of us that go through this surgery are so strong.

You're going to be nervous- all of us were, and of course it'll be hard- but each day it'll get easier.

Good luck! :)

The only thing that has changed for me is that when I do go out to eat I can only order a appetizer ( i guess I am a cheap date now). I do cook differently now but there were not much change only in what you eat. I always exercised... I only exercise more and with greater intensity now :) since I am lighter now.

I'm only a month out but I try not to change cooking for the family. This was my decision not theirs. They are so supportive. I did go out to a restaurant with my family the other night. I had seafood chowder and had leftovers. I had a little bite of potato skin. As more and more foods are added, it will be okay, just small portions. You'll do fine and before you know it you will be healthy and skinny. Good luck!

DOS 12/17/12

Im only 1 1/2 weeks out but my husband also had the surgery in 2010 so I can only speak for us. It's very important to remember that everyone heals and deals differently so try not to compare yourself to others because you are unique.

During the healing process we deal with changes both to our body and psyche. We learn to listen to our stomach and the signs it gives, and may want more or other foods we just can't handle. Eventually it gets easier and at some point we will be able to eat almost anything we want in moderation. I'm not at that point, I'm still on liquids for a few more days and then will move to 2 weeks of mushy foods. Right now I am dealing with a little head hunger, my sense of smell is heightened and that can be good and bad. My head says I want "real" food, but my body could care less. Sometimes this makes me grumpy, but I would gladly take grumpy over a lifetime of unhealthy.

If you want to get more in depth information, feel free to join our "January dates" pre-op and "January 2013" post-op forums. You'll find a group of people who share, support, and help each other through the different stages of this process.

BTW-congratulations and good luck!

Thanks everyone for all the info it helps so much to hear your stories and encouragment.

My life has changed alot. I am in such a better place. my friends and family want to be around me again. I have fun again. I am back to how i was years and years ago. It really opened my eyes and now Im back in school and going to church. I feel like a new person.