Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

Me too---any time. I made the mistake of eating too late tonight---we went out with friends, and if I lay down flat too soon, I will end up with acid reflux, so drinking some tea---pushing the food on through. But I think I am safe now, so going off to bed!

Talk to you soon!

Kat

Terri & Kate,

Thank you for the breathing technique suggestion, I am DEFINATELY going to do that. Last night I couldnt sleep, probably because Ive slept so much after the last few days, so I found that video on Google on the lap band surgery itself, it was amazing actually seeing what they do inside you (not for the squemish :phanvan ).

Lunasa, wow your in America on holiday? Lucky you, Ooooo the last time I went there was with my mum and brother about 3 years ago (mum treated us), we went to NewYork and visited all of the sites, I LOVED IT!!!!! OMG the shopping malls you have are to die for, I remember going into this mall and shopping till I dropped...lol I have a picture of my brother surrounded by shopping bags looking thoroughly feed up, Oooo lucky you, may be that should be my end incentive after I lose all of the weight, to go to America again but with hubby this time and my kids :girl_hug:

Well I know I shouldnt get on the scales every day (and its not until Monday Im a week post op) but OMG.....I am down now 9lbs in 5 days...YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, promise I wont weigh again till Monday (that'll be a week then) I know its only Fluid going, but it still feels good :(

Have a great Saturday!!

Sara xx

****ANNOUNCEMENT****

I have officially lost ONE pound since my surgery day weigh-in!! It has been soooo long since I have actually seen my weight DROP that I forgot how exciting it is!! WAY COOL!! First thing I did this morning is change my ticker, baby!

Sara - We have the Queen Mother of shopping malls right here in Houston, The Galleria, and it is wonderful!! 375 stores!! Everything from The Gap to Ralph Lauren, Gucci, Yurman, Vercace, Tiffany, etc.... Of course, Houston doesn't have a whole lot to offer tourists otherwise, but I'm here!! :(

DaVinci syrups - We looked at some of the stores here and couldn't find it; I just went to www.netrition.com and ordered a few flavors. They've got 20+ different ones!! You should check it out!. I've used this company before for supplements and they deliver very quickly and have good prices. I also ordered some papaya enzyme...they're chewable and I've read around the board that it helps to take those when food gets stuck. Better to have it on hand!

Hi, i am a tracy to, but i am in texas. Good luck with your surgery. Mine is Wednesday and I am nervous but very excited :nervous

Hello all "Bandit's of April 2007"!

Just thought you might like to hear what's in store for this next year!

I'm a 67 year old grammy of 8 who on April 7, 2006 went up to

Olympia, WA to Dr. W. Neal (from the Portland, OR area) to have Lap-Band Surgery weighing 234 lbs (I'm 5'3").......<WBR>..., wearing a 3X top, a 2x bottem......<WBR>.........<WBR>had problems walking - my knees and ankles were hurting.....<WBR>.........<WBR>.my blood pressure was high, etc, etc, etc.........<WBR>....Ihad been on every diet anyone could think of (several times each).......<WBR>......each time I maintained about a week and then gained

it all back........<WBR>.......same story, same story, same old story!!

Today - I weigh 170lbs (down 64lbs) - am wearing a size 12 jean, a medium top.........<WBR>......I'm an exercise fiend.......<WBR>.........<WBR>....discovered

a class called NIA (a combination of dance, tai-chi, martial arts) at

the gym I belong to (Club Sport) that I just love (can you imagine

loving exercise???) and attend 4 or 5 times a week - my husband and I

walk the other days -...........<WBR>.....my knees and ankles no longer

hurt, I don't huff and puff, my blood pressure is normal, etc, etc,

etc!!

I've maintained this weight for the past few months (my choice - I have thought to date that this is possibly a good weight for me - I'm comfortable with what I eat and it has been easy to maintain). My husband had heart valve surgery 2 weeks ago - he's doing

great - but when I found out a few months ago I was a "wreck"

- Unbelievably my 44 year old son had the same surgery last Oct (unrelated)!!!! - so it was at this time that I decided to see if I could maintain during this stressfull time - I've done that (can you believe that - maintain during stress??? I couldn't do that during "normal life"!!!). I now am no longer "obese" (hate that word) -just "overweight"<WBR>!

I've decided that I'm starting my 2nd post-op year with my next goal - to loose another 30 lbs - that will put me at a "normal" BMI. So, I'll join you all in following "all" the bandster rules(once you get to your goal you can let up "a little" to maintain and I mean just "a little)- no liquid calories, no drinking for an hour after meals, drink all my Water, etc, etc, etc..... - I have not had a fill in about 5 months - I've got an appt next Thurs for one - this tool needs to be used to the max (that means having the proper fill - hard to describe - you will know when you get there!!!) I can't say enough about my lap-band. For me, it's been a lifesaver. I've had no problems - I'm so looking forward to a healthier "older age" because of this wonderful "life saving tool".

Hope all that have already had surgery are on the "bandster road" and those still waiting a speedy, pain free (I had a very uneventful, painless) recovery. The best advice I can give you is - MOVE THAT BUTT - Come join our "April Bandits Exercise Challenge" (for those of you who already have - Yeah for you!!!) or just start slow on your own................it reves up that old metabolism, helps tone up the saggies, makes you feel great - "I know, I know" it hurts now - but just you wait - just go slow and build up - you will feel amazing!

Betty from Lake Oswego, OR

4/7/06 - Dr. W. Neal, Olympia WA

234/170/140

Three days til surgery and I'm very excited. I dreamed last night that I was ready for surgery. I looked around and it was my garage and the nurse came and poked a needle through the palm of my hand and then I waited and waited. Seems I forgot to call the day before to make sure of the time of the surgery. :faint:

Sure hope this dream stays a dream!! At least you know I'll call the day before for sure!!

to all you april 07 bandsters. I just had my surgery on Wed. it went extremely well. I feel good and went out shopping for a while on

friday and to get my nails done! Shoulder pain from the gas is bad but walking alot is key. Prayers are the best way to stay calm. I will keep you all in mine.

Betty, you are my role model!!! I'm going into this surgery at 5'4", 233# wearing a 3X top and 2X bottom and 59 years old. If I can be like you in a year, and I WILL try my darndest, I will be absolutely thrilled!!! I've been hoping for a banding buddy who is going into surgery my same date, but it looks like I'm the only one on the 10th. BUT, I'd love to adopt you, at least as a mentor.

Hi All,

Had surgery on 4/5 and feeling good. I got home from Hosp last night and was feeling sick, but all is well now. Can't believe how easy it is to get in and out of bed today. Everyday is a little better. Good Luck to all of you getting banded this week!!

(((((THANK YOU, BETTY)))))))

Teach - you're on! You're just a kid - you can do it!!!!!! Get moving and come join our Exercise Challenge - I don't give up - so get used to my nagging about exercise!

One thing I meant to say in my above post...................this band does not work until you have the "proper fill" - it starts you off, but you need to keep on top of it.....................you need to be proactive in getting your fills.......................don't be frightened about fills - for me they are a "snap".............nothing to be frightened about (with that said, I know you will all still be aprehensive - try not to be - honestly it's not bad).......this was my experience - not everyone is the same tho...........

I was not at all hungry for the first week or so after surgery.......the swelling from the surgery I guess.............so had no problems doing my liquids only................the second week I felt "normal" again.............in other words I could have gone back to eating like I did before..............didn't want to - so I "acted as if".................we have all be on diets (most of us anyway) and so I did diet...............I followed all my rules..........knew I had done that before and could again for the weeks inbetween until I got my good fill (it's different for each of us and progressive as far as being the needed optimal tool).................for my doc it was 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks mushies, 2 weeks somewhere inbetween mush and solids!

The types of foods were on my rules lists - lean Protein, veggies, fruit and in the amounts listed with your docs..................for me no white stuff, no bread, no Pasta, no potatoes, no rice (I have no idea to this date if my band will tolerate those things because I have not tried)................after my liquid stage I did add in runny oatmeal for Breakfast (I put 1/4 cup oatmeal and 3/4 cup Water in a dish in microwave and blast it for 2.5 minutes.................add Butter Buds/Molly McButter and sugar free brown sugar.............I like it!

It's not hard - give it your all............it's so worth it...................and the band will do the trick for you............use it properly tho................get those fills and if you can............."act as if" until it's fully operational!!!!!! It works!

GOOD MORNING ALL!!!!

It is 27 degrees outside and me and the boys just returned indoors, the 10 year old taught my 3.5 year old to ride his bike without training wheels! We had so much fun, even though it was cold... HE did awesome... they were getting cooped up being inside and the fighting had already started so I told them to take it outside.. we all ended up out there teaching Robby, who DID GREAT! We are now inside... Dad is on call and is gone right now.. so its just drill seargent Tracy at the command! LOL

Terri that is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, Tracy! I saw where you posted on the BE-products thread that you really like the Isopure Protein water... I would love to try this, since it is a clear liquid and I must find one that I like- but I cannot find thsi Water anywhere (and Isearched gnc.com). please help!

Most GNC's carrie the ISOpure. You may have to have them order some for you. The one near me has it and they also keep some in the frige so you can just pop if open right there.

I want to start by saying how much I enjoy LBT. I read it several times a day...there is a GREAT FEELING here. Can't explain it, but I think we all know what I am talking about.

Just wanted to give you an update on my post op progress. My inlaws are in town so I went to sleep in my bed for the first time since before surgery. I have a Temperpedic bed, which if you know, is a wonderful bed...but...is alittle hard after surgery. I got in and rolled onto my right side, then BAM...left shoulder started throbing. IS THIS THE SHOULDER PAIN EVERYONE HAS BEEN TALKING ABOUT? I have been VERY gassy, but have had nothing in way of shoulder pain. I was very tired from the long day and had just took my pain meds (first time since breakfast). So I laid still and took some deep breathes and woke up at 4am. I think I have a cold, my head is so congested, my neck and shoulder ache, my body aches...AAAAHHHH. I have not had an easy week and was soooo looking forward to feeling "a little" better today. We were going to take in IL's to the house we are thinking of buying, and I wanted to take flowers to my mom's grave. S*#T...I feel like crying. Hey, that reminds me, what is the date? Oh yeah, I am due for (.) tomorrow...that explains a lot. Maybe I will wake up tomorrow and feel better about the cold, and only have cramps.:sick

I wanted to throw my 2cents in...I bought my Magic Bullet at Gottshalks (or Harris' in some states). It was $59.00 but worth it.

I have a little trick for my banded buddies from this week: I have had A LOT OF GAS TROUBLE. I have been walking, but in between I put my hand on my right side of my tummy (no incisions there) and gently "giggle" my tummy (this is not PRETTY since I carry most all my weight in my tummy, total apple). Anyway, this gentle wiggle or giggling for about 3-5 minutes will break the big bubbles up and allow me to burp or pass gas (which I have been having trouble with). At 4am this morning, this saved me from a lot of pain.

I hope this helps someone...check back in later!

Jullee- Funny you mention that.. I know of some people who have had WLS, and none of them had the Lap-Band (hence, I never knew about it till recently), but they all dropping weight like it's nothing from GB mostly. When I found out about lap-band and told them how I"m going to be joining them in the weight loss, they all turned their nose up at me. Saying Lap Band doesn't work, won't lose the weight, whatever you lose will come back yadda yadda. They keep saying I *have* to get GB if I want it to 'work'. Very weird, I kept telling them about this website and the statistics I have researched, and how I may be slower than GB, but I won't stretch my stomach out!

Of course, anyone interested, I already recommend Lap Band.. so I guess it's what you decide on. But I get irritated with my GB friends trying to push it.. I am comfortable with my decision.. if for whatever reason LB isn't for me and I don't lose it, THEN I can think about the more invasive surgery and other options. I'm pretty confident right now with LB though. Hell, I don't even have it and I'm already panicky about what I'm eating :(

Don't worry about the GB folks! They all say the same thing in the gorup I attend and think that you're crazy for even considering the LB. I met some ladies last week at group and they are all bandies and are losing great. Yess it is slower but it gives your body a chance to get use to the weightloss and your skin a chance to catch up with you. We all will have some excess skin but possibly we won't have as much as them. :clap2:

My surgeon said I made a wise choice for "me" and ay my psych eval she even suggested that the LB would be better for me. I'm going with the dr.'s suggestion which is what I wanted anyway.