Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

Hey guys, little miffed today. Got a bill from Anesthesia yesterday.. $1,100 dollars. I was told the anesthesia was $500, which I paid for up front. Now it's 3x that? I'm on hold with the Anesthesia's office, she said 'You ran over 30 minutes'.. so I said, ok first hour is 500, and then 500 every 15m after that???? So I'm on hold, it doesn't even show me being credited for the $500. I'm really irritated that no one told me I was going to have an $1,100 additional bill. Even after surgery the doctor should have mentioned something?! I was told by the doctor, there would be 2 things I hadn't paid for- 1. the barium swallow and the x-ray for the barium swallow, both of which he said were under $50.. and they were, I got the bill for both of those already and paid. But I feel like someone is jerking me around with a bill 3x as much as I was told it would be.

Her job is to make him money. So call the office and ask the doctor to call you back. Don't tell them anything other than you would like to speak to the anesthesologist. These folks that run the offices can be NOSEY. Negotiate the bill with him. He can do the math and that you 'ran over' is proven how? I ran over by two hours and my bill was the same.

Anywho....................................................

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by mdrai viewpost.gif

Now that I'm back on track for the band, a few questions based on my surgical pre-op yesterday...

Did anyone else have this done as an outpatient? That's how mine will be done. Oh, and he doesn't do a barium swallow either... said he used to do them but found they're not necessary???

Did anyone else have to give themselves Lovenox or Heparin injections 2x/day for 2 weeks after the procedure? (This came as a BIG surprise to me, as I have never read of ANYONE mentioning this before... and I am SO NOT a fan of needles! Yikes!)

I think those are the only things I was unsure/unaware of... he seemed impressed w/all my other knowledge, and I told him I had a great support team online who're one month ahead of me!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

To answer this, No. No shots. I did take ten days of antibiotics which surprised me but I was glad he put me on it as I had a bit of respitory problems. All resolved.

Violets

Peace and steady pace to all.

I am soooooo tired today. Three days in a row working and will surely make the whole week. Three weeks post op coming up on 30 pounds.

This week, focusing on :

Staying on Protein,

Staying hydrated with propel,

Listening to the growls and sounds of my stomach

Listening to my head when it says food.< /p>

Laura - sorry you didn't get your fill but how exciting, to lose 2 more lbs with clothes and later in the day! that is even better. LOL

Hey all...I just got back from the gym and guess what I did!? I signed a contract for a personal trainer 1x/week for a YEAR!! Girlfriends, I am gonna be one hot honey! We worked my quads tonight and OMG!! I am gonna be in pain tomorrow!

Anyway...I did it because I've been talking about how committed I am and IF SO, this is what I need to do...keep moving forward and behaving like a healthy person. I'm doin' this, people!!!

EXCELLENT TERRY!!!!

You're gonna be one slim and trim babe!!

I hit Curves today and boy did that feel good after not going for 2 months!! I got measured and lost 11 and a half inches. We're on our way!!!

Woohoo Terri! I'm still too self-conscious to work out 'in public' we have a great gym at work and everyone there uses it except me of course..some of the guys have offered to 'train' me, but I think when I finally get the balls to go in there, I'd rather go when no one else is there.. (It's 24 hours).

I hope to be in there once I hit 270lb. I'm praying back problems will be greatly reduced by then. I do the gazelle right now in front of the tv, which is low-impact but its SOMETHING.. and I was doing it at 2am the other night, and the next day (yesterday) and today my butt and thighs are aching like crazy.. when I sit on the toilet, it kills me LOL. I guess I worked it well that night.

Okay, I had surgery on the 17th of April and am not holding out hope for a fill, but there is a little hope? I am worried about the hernia repair and hope all goes well. I really think there is a problem there, obviously not huge or else i would be feeling really bad now, but my left side hurts and I can't take a bm without holding it. The odd thing is my hernia was on the right side. I don't think it has anything to do with my lap band because it is too high and the pain in in the bottom half. So keep fingers crossed that all is fine. Also a little fill would be great!!!

Jane

Hi there Violets!

I haven't posted in a while, but I read every-single-post every-single-day and you guys keep me so motivated and so informed!

I was banded on the 16th and I can't get a fill until JULY!!!!! Doc really wants to wait 90 days, but said he would go in sooner if I quit losing 1-2 # per week. So, I got off my butt and began to hit the gym. I am up to 20 minutes on the elliptical and then another 20 min on the treadmill.

Restriction? what is that? I am really struggling to limit calories... thank goodness for fitday.com Trying so hard to make healthy choices. Found some frozen, seasoned, raw (easy to cook in microwave) fish filets from "Gorton's" at the store that are delicious and only 100 cals and like 20 g Protein. very tasty. yea!

scale did not move for nearly 2 weeks, but since workin out, I have managed to lose a little, finally!!!! I was reading all the posts where everyone said they wern't losing, and that was the ONLY thing that kept me from getting depressed.

Just wanted to check in. Thanks for all of your posts with wisdom, encouragement, and answers. Would be lost without the Violets!!!!!

Sorry I haven't posted much but I have been reading everyone's post's as much as I can - I sneak it in at work too (shhhhhh)...

Michelle - I'm so happy for you!!! That is really good news, I'll keep hoping and praying for you that it all keeps going well! I had a heparin shot in my arm and had a huge bruise (after surgery). I forgot it was there and wore a short sleeve shirt yesterday and I had about 4 people ask me what happened, hmmmm I said I had a shot because I was deficient in Vitamin D (how stupid) It was the only thing I could think of at the time and I really am deficient!! hah!

Laura - I'm taking phentermine (sp?).... I was banded 4/27 and my hunger returned about 1 week afterwards right in time for my post op visit. My doctor had no problem giving it to me and said he would still prescribe it for me until I got to my goal weight. It makes a huge difference w/my hunger and energy and it's pretty cheap. Mine was only $31. I hope you heal soon and get that fill.

My next appointment is June 7th and might get a fill.

I'm almost two week's out and still on Clear Liquids w/3 Protein Shakes, I have two more weeks to go before I can move to full liquids/pureed Soups. That is the biggest reason for the phentermine.

Have a great night everyone!!! I love reading your post's!

Now that I'm back on track for the band, a few questions based on my surgical pre-op yesterday...

Did anyone else have this done as an outpatient? That's how mine will be done. Oh, and he doesn't do a barium swallow either... said he used to do them but found they're not necessary??? My doc did mine outpatient. I had my procedure at 7:45am and was home by 2pm. No barium swallow for me - thank god!

Did anyone else have to give themselves Lovenox or Heparin injections 2x/day for 2 weeks after the procedure? (This came as a BIG surprise to me, as I have never read of ANYONE mentioning this before... and I am SO NOT a fan of needles! Yikes!) I only had one Lovenox injection and that was immediately before the surgery.

I think those are the only things I was unsure/unaware of... he seemed impressed w/all my other knowledge, and I told him I had a great support team online who're one month ahead of me!

Great news on your study today! Good luck! :clap2:

[quote name=lauraj23;Ready for the good news?!?!?!?!

His scale.. which is what I started on for my pre-op weight.. says I'm at 307!!!!!!!!! WITH CLOTHES ON!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So not only was I finally down to 310 from the 311-314 bounce' date=' but then 309 on my scale this morning.. and now 307!!!!

I'm exxxxcited. ;)[/quote]

WooooooooooHoooooooooow!!!!! 20lbs is AWSOME Laura Well done!!!!!!!! I know your a bit dissapointed about your fill being put back 3 weeks Laura, but it wil pass by real quickly, you are doing soooooo well!

Sara xx

Hey all...I just got back from the gym and guess what I did!? I signed a contract for a personal trainer 1x/week for a YEAR!! Girlfriends, I am gonna be one hot honey! We worked my quads tonight and OMG!! I am gonna be in pain tomorrow!

Anyway...I did it because I've been talking about how committed I am and IF SO, this is what I need to do...keep moving forward and behaving like a healthy person. I'm doin' this, people!!!

Terry this is a brilliant idea!! You will get in shape in a flash!! It will definately make a difference!! & you'll reap the rewards :clap2: of being one-super-fit woman!!

I think I over did it a bit yesterday, I did a 40 min swim with my mum, then last night before I went to bed I did 3 miles (4800 meters) on the treadmill (took me 65 mins) then weights....I feel a bit weird today, lol!!! I'm nervous because I see the consultant this w/k and the dietician, she'll probably do the muscle test on me again :phanvan last time she did it, it was 40% and she said no wonder your not losing weight it should be at 70% to get the metabolisum up to burn fat.....so Ive been exercising like mad...LOL...:faint:. I think getting a trainer is an awsome idea, in the near future Terry I might go along that road....tell us how your 1st session goes....Good on Ya!!!!!!!!!!!

Sara xxxx

Good morning to you all!

Hope you are all doing great. Im feeling a lot better. The antibiotics seem to have taken the edge off the pain, I must have had an infection in the new site where the port has taken up home! The swelling and redness on my abdomen is much less, thank God.

I was feeling really hungry by the time I got home from work yesterday but when I went to eat my mushy dinner, I could barely manage 3 tsps. I think the port is pressing against my band or stomach because I have huge restriction. I just stopped eating and felt ok after about 1/2 hour. Im just worried that Im not eating enough. God this is such an alien thing for me to be worried about!! All my life I have been overeating and now Im concerned that Im not eating enough. I think maybe I should start keeping a food diary. Roughly how many calories should I be aiming to have per day? I know I should be aiming for 50-60g Protein but Im not sure when it comes to calories. I am using Protein Shakes for Breakfast and for supper so Im not too concerned about my protein intake.

Its so nice to put my clothes on and each day for them to feel looser! I havent weighed myself since last Friday and I am only going to weigh myself every 2nd Friday. I hate the scales anyway after years of yo-yo dieting!!!

Wishing you all a great day and any advice on the calories would be so greatly appreciated.

Brenners x

Brenners....Hey I'm glad your feeling better, to be honest I'm not too sure on the daily calories werent ment to have. Mine varies greatly, from 800 cals to 1500?? The best bet is to call the hsp you had the band put in, and ask to speak to the dietician there, or failing that the secretary of the consultant could ask for you. I guess a lot depends on the level of restriction you have (& how much you can eat) I couldnt eat a lot at 1st, now I have no problem, lol!!

Take care,

Sara xx

Brenners

I am the same way, I will be a month out Monday and as I am officially eating solid food this week, it is not much, when I was on mushies I was getting hungry but could only have 1/4 cup of anything. Now - month out, I can eat almost a cup of cream Soup, but only 3oz of meat before being cooked. Last night for dinner i had less than 1/2 cup broccoli and a Protein Shake. I took a while to drink my shake and i was full. My dr said some people never need a fill... is that possible?

Well I lost another 2lbs yesterday and don't know what I did that was so different, but I'll take it.

Monday I start back at the gym, I would like to go back today - but I still have a ton of final assignments due by Monday, Have to put a fence around my pool (crazy dog is digging around it) and then open the pool. It has been beautiful here but it will take 2 good weeks for it to warm up once I take the cover off.

So there are the disadvantages to being a single parent/homeowner, no time for me, but at least i'll be working away. LOL

Have a great day everyone!

Oh... don't forget, still looking for a job, can't give up on that adventure!

Good morning, fellow Violets..

My follow up appointment was with the nutritionist and she recommended 1000-1200 calories a day for a woman. I'm not getting anywhere near that with what I eat, but I'm increasing each day by adding new foods. Today instead of yogurt, I'm having an egg with a slice of cheese. It tastes heavenly. I'm 3/4 of the way through with it and already feeling full.

I just had to fill out a registration form for a church conference and they list the meals and the prices. No way could I justify paying $25.00 for the evening buffet, so I didn't check any of the meals and wrote a notation that I was a bariatric patient and couldn't eat more than 1/4 cup so I would nibble off DH's plate. Hope they will allow that. Not like I'm going to pig out and eat $25.00 worth of food at one sitting. (well I could have two months ago, but life is different now, thank God!!)

For everyone that has a nutrition question.. please, PLEASE check with YOUR doc and nutritionist. Everyone in here has a different plan and the bottom line is to find out what is recommended by your doc and nutritionist for YOU. They suggestions we get in here are wonderful, but they have to be right for us.. right Violets????