Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

I have a question..im a little concerned becuz I cant drink much at all. Little itty bitty sips and they feel like they get stuck. Im concerned that ill get dehydrated because the feeling is so painful that I just take a sip or two and I cant take any more for at least half an hour. Someone please tell me this is normal?????
Jullee, I didn't have the problems with Water that many of you are...but PAIN doesn't seem like something you should be experiencing at this point. If you haven't called your doctor about this, I highly suggest it. Are you taking your pain meds? Maybe that would help you get the water down. Excess gas might be the problem as well, so get on a regular dose (4x/day) of Gas-X for 2-3 days and walk at least a little bit very often during the day. I don't have to tell you how important it is to stay hydrated...if nothing else it will help speed your healing and prevent complications. Keep us posted, ok?
What is GREAT though is that if I was DIETING now.. yesterday would have been a cave in day for me & would have resulted in a major binge eating all the things I had been fantasizing about FOR SURE!!

So the band has already given me confidence to know I won't DIE without letting rip if you know what I mean..I didn't have to go through a compelled binge because I couldn't!!

I have found that the band has really served as a constant reminder that I am on a NEW path now and will require NEW behavoirs. This is by far the coolest thing ever. I'm not very restricted right now at all....could probably eat anything I wanted...but I'm not. I guess my stomach has "shrunk" though because I am stuffed on such little food now. Last night I had about 1/4 c. refried Beans and 1/4 c guacamole salad and I was so full....for at least 3 hours!! If I'm not restricted, how do you account for that?? Anyway, the experience so far has been incredible and I'm looking forward to a long, healthy relationship with my band.

I got on the scales again this am, I havent lost anymore weight, Im still down 14lbs, (I was down 15 at one point) this weeks been not typical (sophies B'day, given up smoking and on these tablets now to help me,my anniversary, started back at work, wrong time of the month) its like everything happened together. Im going to have to try harder and incorporate exercise. I read that lady's post yesterday on how she though shed lose weight (Krystals dairy) by just the band, it really did bring it home to me and make me think. I think once I'm on solids (2 weeks time) I might follow the South Beach diet, and just exercise, exercise , exercise!!!

I am keeping a food diary, I write it down every night, most days I average 850 cals now, although this week I did go high on my anniversary night re the red wine. I'm going to have to really focus, I just dont want to fail, not this time, not ever again with weight loss, I just cant...........

Sara, be patient with yourself right now! Sounds like you have a LOT of stuff going on. You're lucky with all of that thatyou haven't gained 6#!! Sounds like you're doing great to me. Re: your thoughs about "I just can't fail, not this time...", I'm sure all of us can relate to that. I'm reading a great book right now that explains in detail how the brain works to create new habits and discard old ones. One thing it says makes really good sense: You should not focus on your past failures and behaviours, but focus (religiously) on what it is you want to become. Keep the visual in your mind of the slim & fit you, the one wearing a size 10, feeling good and strong. This engages the emotional part of your brain that is essential in allowing new behaviours to take hold. Try it for a day or two and I think you'll find a new level of excitement and confidence creep into your thinking. We're all behind you 150%.

Hi all, im home. got home yesterday. They ended up keeping me an extra day becuz of the pain and I was also very nauseous (?Spelling). I have a question..im a little concerned becuz I cant drink much at all. Little itty bitty sips and they feel like they get stuck. Im concerned that ill get dehydrated because the feeling is so painful that I just take a sip or two and I cant take any more for at least half an hour. Someone please tell me this is normal?????

Jullee, I had the same problem with painful drinking. I tried to sip on Water every 15 minutes. This pain lasted until the 5th day post-op. Then one morning I woke up and was able to swollow with no pain! It will happen, every person's experience is SO different. You may still be having gas pains and are swollen. If you are not better by Monday, I would call the dr. for suggestions. Hang in there!

Terry, thank you for your wise words, you are right, and I am impatient!! Its just its been 3 weeks on Monday, I mean its gone quick, all of our diets have changed, I mean my treat now is cottage cheese & pinapple! :phanvan Its going to be a real tester next week, Im away ontraining on Monday & Tuesday, long day on Wed, and away on Thur & Friday ...Help.....??? I guess I had hoped to lose more, but its my own fault for not exercising, I have to do something for 30 mins a day (which starts today!) I went down to see my mum today, and asked if shed go swimming with me x 1 a week, so she said shed look into which nearest Pool we could go too, got to think positive and look forwards your right! Thank you :(

Lunasa!!!!!!! Thank Gawd your ok! I did wonder how you were getting on and thought you may have stayed in the North a bit longer....welcome to 'BANDLAND' x

Jullee71, high hon, Id call your Dr like Terry said, you could also try eating an ice lollie inbetween sips of water...give the hospital a call, and check it out, let us know how you are x

Sara xx

Hi all,

Finally getting to have mashed potatoes and soft casseroles.

Anyone know what the heck that would be?

I've heard horror stories of Pasta, so I'm not sure if that would include pasta type casseroles.:(

Thanks guys...I actually was able to "eat" a lil more this afternoon with not as much pain. Hopefully, it will fully go away in the next couple of days. Hydration is a worry becuz I cant drink that much but im sippin sippin sippin...and sukkin on the popsicles!! By the way, Protein in Soup is absolutely disgusting! Any suggestions????

Hi Everyone,

Househuntress, I just made lasagne (thanks to everyone for some wonderful ideas), which will feed many and myself. I am not gonna do any Pasta, rice or bread...just would rather not (heard to many a bad story). Anyway, quiche, lobster bisque, meatloaf, stew (blended for you) were some of the great suggestions from this thread. Also, on the food thread there are many ideas and suggestions for all stages.

I had to read so much this morning, forgot what I've read. Lunasa, welcome back!!!

Sara- did you quit smoking???? I think I read that you did, or were going to. I had to quit before surgery, so believe me...I know. I loved it, and thought I was gonna be sooooo mean w/out it. But, I don't miss it. I guess I just focused my attention on my weight loss.

I got my charm Bracelet yesterday. It is soooo pretty. It looks a little empty w/ only 1 charm, but that is my motivation to get some more pounds off. I will buy one charm every 5 pounds off, but will wait until 10 pounds then buy 2 (save on shipping). Anyway, I just love it. It really means a lot to me, so personal.

QUESTION: What is with the bad breath. My DP said it is different, almost chemical or acidic. Is this ketosis? Is anyone else having trouble w/ this? Please help/advise...can't chew gum forever!:speechles

Hey all

I am still very swollen and full of gas, the pain in my arm is not hrrrible but just enought to make me insane. I have gas x and have been walking and walking. I am still having problems with Water but getting a bit better with the ice chips. I use to hate skim milk, but boy did it taste so very good today.

thanks for all the suggestions everyone - my drink this am was not so bad.

Hey guys, I posted this on its own thread in complications, but I wanted to post it here too incase any of you know what this is or could be, and have insight..

I've been healing good, the major pains stopped on Thursday.. Last night in bed (I've been able to sleep on my side occasionally, right side.. left side is where my incisions are), I rolled onto my right side, and at some point I realized a sharp pain my left side. I figured it was a pulled muscle or something? When I take deep breaths, it 'hits' whatever it is and causes me to buckle over. When I move certain ways, it 'hits' and causes me to buckle over. I don't know what gas pains feel like? Could this be a gas pain? I've felt through my side, it's not under an incision, but it feels like where maybe my band area is. I don't know what I'm feeling. There's no knot or lump, but I can push a spot and it 'hits' whatever hurts. So I need advice. I'm not panicky yet, just figure it's a pulled muscle (so I stretch it out a little till it hurts too much), or gas (I've been walking around). I *was* really gassy last night. It wouldn't really come out either. I kept feeling it shift around inside, but nothing would come out either end. I also, have not had a real bowel movement since the surgery. That brings me to my 3rd possible scenerio. When I am able to use the bathroom, I really have to strain for the little bit of liquidy movement (sorry for being graphic!!). So maybe I strained myself that way? But its about 3 inches down and 4 inches away (toward my side) from my left breast.

Anyone have this happen or have any insight? Something I need to be watching for in case this is something else?

Hi Pam,

I saw the Dr on Monday and she gave me these pills called Zyban to help me quit smoking, I take 1 per day, then after 6 days I take 2 a day....Im not sure if they are giving me weird dreams, last night I sort of had a nightmare...so well see. Good for you giving up smoking pam, it is hard, yet another addiction, I think I must be an addictive person.

I started exercising today, I haven done a lot, but boy did the sweat drip off me, I managed 3 mins jogging and 4 mins walking fast on the jogger, only 3 .5 mins on the elpical trainer (& I thought I was going to pass out) and 6 mins on the rower, and then sat on my big silver ball and did weights (re arms) its not a lot, but if I can up these by 1 min per day, and get it to 10 mins on the 3 lots of equiptment and 10 mins weights...thats my goal.

What is everyone elses exercise routines? I know if I dont do it, I wont tone up, or burn calories. Im not sure what my exercise routine should be? I was thinking 1 day doing a walk (at the w/k) 1 day have a swim, and the rest do what I mentioned with the exercise equiptment? I dunno? Any suggestions, only its got to fit in to a weird working routine....:rolleyes:

Sara x

The positioning you describe Laura would be right about where your bnd itself is. It could be residual swelling. You could have irritated it with your position...any number of things. I would stay on a strict liquid diet, do not make the stomach "work" in any manner. And if it doesn't ease, up, or if the pain becomes more steady, if you begin running a fever, anything like that call your Dr. Right now, my best guess would have something to do with the fact that they pulled the lower part of your stomach up and stitched it in place over the band, attaching it to the upper pouch. Now scar tissue will form, and help hold the band in proper postition. The scar tissue...adhesions...if strained will cause pain. I actually had adhesions from my hysterectomy have to be removed! When you lie on your side that way, it changes the stress points inside your body. I would just take it easy, not try to make it hurt, just settle it down a bit. Try some Tylenol, but I wouldn't take anything stronger. On the off chance something does need to be checked out, you don't want to mask the pain entirely.

Hang in there---hope it eases soon!!!

(((hugs)))

Kat

Hi Lauraj,

Well I didnt 'go to the loo' until the 4th day after surgery, Fluid definately helps ok.

The other senario with the pain, Im not sure it could be gas, or it could be the band slightly moving I dont know? Last week I had a weird situation too, I lead on my L side (& Im top heavy) anyway, I heard a sort of a pop sound, then I had a sharp pain where the band is, so I thought it might have moved slightly beacuse I was laying funny, and Im top heavy which put pressure on it?? Anyway the pain only lasted a few seconds, like you I was a bit worried, but Im ok now? See how you go, and if you still have twinges or they get worse give the Dr a call?

Sara x

Kat- I have been staying on the diet the doctor gave me, but today I cut out jell-o and just doing the Clear Liquids hoping it might help. I feel fine otherwise and I have no fever, it feels the equivelant (to me) of when I get a crick in my neck. You can hold yourself fine, but if you do that one 'movement' that 'hits' the spot, you get that sharp pain that makes you jerk. If this makes sense? I don't want to call the doctor and worry about it yet, I haven't done anything to 'mess up' anything. I'm adhereing strictly to my diet, I'm not lifting anything heavy.. I was wanting to do housework yesterday but decided to wait till Sunday. I wish I understood what gas pains were, so I could compare it.

I blows my mind how much our symptoms have been and are so much alike! Tonight..I got the same pain you have, it started when I laid on the bed, flat for a bit. But..I really thing it might just be gas. I also have given up on the Jello, (disgusting). and I absolutely cannot drink that strawberry shake thing!!! And....also I was wondering too, no # 2 at the potty for me either, is this pain maybe somethin to do with that!!

Come on all you pros,,I am sure some of you have had this same couple of problem?? Help us out here, and we thank you!!:nervous

Also, does anyone know, is it ok to CHEW gum?

Someone just pointed out to me about the Protein bullets, so I will try that. Also, I took the chocolate drink, put it in the blender with milk, and ice cubes, crushed away, and that makes it taste much better!

I started exercising today, I haven done a lot, but boy did the sweat drip off me, I managed 3 mins jogging and 4 mins walking fast on the jogger, only 3 .5 mins on the elpical trainer (& I thought I was going to pass out) and 6 mins on the rower, and then sat on my big silver ball and did weights (re arms) its not a lot, but if I can up these by 1 min per day, and get it to 10 mins on the 3 lots of equiptment and 10 mins weights...thats my goal.

What is everyone elses exercise routines? I know if I dont do it, I wont tone up, or burn calories. Im not sure what my exercise routine should be? I was thinking 1 day doing a walk (at the w/k) 1 day have a swim, and the rest do what I mentioned with the exercise equiptment? I dunno? Any suggestions, only its got to fit in to a weird working routine....:rolleyes:

Sara x

Sara, you might want to take it easy for now. I called my doctor and his office said ONLY walking or elliptical for 4 weeks. I wanted to swim and at least do some light weights but they said no. :) I cheat a little and do some cycling too.