Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for banders from Grande Prairie, Alberta

It seems that there are getting to be quite a few of us here in Grande Prairie, Alberta.

Is anyone interested in getting together for support, coffee, visits etc.

Please reply on this thread or else pm me.

If you know of anyone else and they aren't into computers maybe you could pass this along and ask if they would like a phone call so we could all meet.

ME!!!

(but you already know me.) lol

...and the people I would have passed the message on to are the group we met together.:(

...but anyway, HI ANNE!!! Let's pop this up to the top of the list and try for a couple more people.

Consider us BUMPED! heehee

Hi CanadaSunshine

Yes we will have to get together. Maybe we are the only 2 from grande prairie. What do you think. Give me a call?

There's more of us lurking around here somewhere, I'm sure of it!

..But sure, you and I can start a group, until they show up!

We can have meetings at my place.:biggrin1: (damn, I'd better clean up...):(

I am all alone in Fort St John, BC.

Where do you ladies get your fills done?

Hi Calgarygirl in Fort St. John - call Dr. Ooustheizens office in Sexsmith, AB at 780-568-2277 and see if they will put you in touch with him - not sure if he will do out of country adjustments, but try - he is a wonderful doctor and has lots of lapband patients. Good luck

Hi Priscilla

Hi ! I,m from the GP area as well. I just got back from having surgery in Denver last night. Every thing went great. I have planned on using Dr. O. How good is he? Do you use him ? I just found out that I can get it done at the GP hospital. Apperently there is not charge for it there . I asume they would be using Fluora to do the procedure. Do you think this is nessesary? I'm unsure what I should do. Ay info would be much appreciated.

Lizzieann

Hi again - have not been on this forum for quite a while, so just read your post today. Dr. O is very good and I an 5 other bandsters I know use him for fills. Was not aware that hospital does it for free and Dr. O. did say he has the name of a Dr. who does fluoros for his patients having any problems with fills. Phone Dr. O. - you will really be pleased with his personality and caring manner. Good luck.

Hi Priscilla

I have an appointment for the begining of may for my first fill with Dr.O.

How much does he use for the first fill? My Dr. in Denver puts around 5cc the first fill. I have a 14cc APband. I had my GP call Dr. Jim about doing my fills at the hospital and he said he would do it if we had any problems.

I can feel my port so I asume the Dr. should have no trouble finding it. Does he use any freezing or just go on in? How much time does a fill take.

Thanks

Lizzieann

Hi lizzieann - congratulations on your surgery - hope you are doing well. It ws the best thing I ever could have done for myself. Dr. O. will put in the amount that your lapband surgery doctor/nurses suggest, if they are the ones who give you after band support. I always call the clinic in Mississauga who did my operation first and discuss my feeling of restriction and then they determine from what I tell them the amount that needs to be put in. I am at 4.5 cc right now in my band which is a bit different than yours - 10 or 12 AP I think. I found that once I could start eating bread, then I definitely need a fill. As a rule, I don't eat any bread, but to test my band, I will try it to see what happens. Right now, I can eat one piece so although I had a fill 2 wks ago, I think it is time for another small fill, perhaps .5. That will put me up to 5cc. At 5.2cc, I was too tight and had some issues, like food coming back up and major heartburn which is not a good sign and pretty much says go get a defill for a little while.With your 14AP band, you will probably be able to tolerate bigger fills - but check with your surgeon/nurses for guidance. Keep them informed of how you are doing because they are the experts and are the only ones who can properly gauge the amount you may need. Dr. O. always finds my port and it does not hurt. The more I lose, the easier it is to find, although I think as I lose weight it tends to move around (perhaps where the fat was and has now shrunk away?) a little bit. I guess it just makes sense that as you lose bulk out of your abdomen, ones organs, stomach, and the port will also shift (just my theory). Dr. O. and no other fill doctor I have been to uses freezing - but honestly, all I ever have felt is like a flu shot injection feeling and then he targets the port injects the saline into the port(does not hurt at all) and then he has you drink a glass of Water - if it goes down with no ill effect, you are done. On my fill days, I only have fluids for food, cause I don't want to dilate the pouch before the fill - for me it just helps to have an empty pouch, so no big deal. Good to know we have backup with Dr. Jim, if there ever is a problem, but I'm sure that is a rare event, considering we have so many lapbanders here in GP. We should perhaps form a group for support. If you have any issues you are concerned about either PM me on this forum or post a message for additional wisdom and experience that is out there. Good luck.

Just a heads up to everyone in Northern BC and area, Dr Cobourn is coming to Fort St John to train my doctor, Dr Du Preez, on doing fills. He will be here the end of May! :lol::thumbup::w00t: