Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My journey so far.....

I am Kerri and I am 39 years old. I just want to tell you about my experience so far with gastric bypass. I started a year ago trying to line everything up. I had two pulmonary embolisms which made everything go much slower. I also have a rare vascular birth defect and we weren't sure how it would react to surgery. Needless to say, I had surgery December 18th, 2012. I found out the day before surgery they wanted to put a vena cava filter in me to help with the blood clots in my lungs. I was so scared and another surgery right before this one? I was so thrown off. My highest weight that I know of was 335. But getting on the preop diet for two weeks, I came down to 306. I was amazed at how good that diet worked. I was scared to get gastric bypass. I thought I would die through the surgery. But I have to say, that it wasn't as bad as I thought. I had really been freaking out. But the time had come where it was time. I was a very high risk surgery. My doctor was almost reluctant to do it. So, I went into surgery at 8:00 a.m. and was out around 1:00 p.m. of recovery and to my room. I had lived through surgery! But my doctor had told me that the next 12 to 48 hours were very important. I did have a catheder which made it hard getting on and off my bed. But it was out the next morning. I got out of bed and walked later that evening. And I am going to tell you, the walking was the best thing to get the air out. I am not going to lie, that air hurts. But once I realized that walking was really going to help, I set out to walk as much as I could. 24 hours later I started drinking Water and protien drinks. It all went down well. No nausea. I stayed one more night and was out the next morning. I was glad to be at my own home. Since it was the holidays, it was hard to watch everyone else eat. My stomach wasn't hungry, but my head was. And everything I saw looked so good. It was a huge mind game. But with the support of my family, I made it through the eating and holidays. I am now 12 days out and feeling great. I have lived off sugar free popcicles, sugar free Jello, broth, Protein Drinks, water and propel. I have also tried yogurt. It all has set well so far. I am anxious to move to pureed foods, but have to wait to see them first. I will be going over the two weeks because of the new year. I just want you all that are new to this, to realize you can do it. You can get through the preop diet, surgery and through the liquid afterwards. It is what you make of it. I am dying to be healthy and want to make this go as smooth as possible. I am always here for anyone who needs to talk. I had to really talk to alot of people for me to go through with this. I have no regrets. I am very happy so far. This support forum has been great, I hope everyone is doing well and good luck for those of you still needing to go through the surgery. It's a new year almost, and time for us to all make changes.

Kerri

Thank you so much for sharing. I am so happy things are progressing so nicely. You are doing great. I love your attitude. I hope you get stronger and feel better every day and that when you go through the different stages of food that you tolerate them well. I am 3.5 weeks out and I am slowly moving to the pureed foods. I do get in all my fluids and several Protein Shakes a day and my Vitamins. I made it through the holidays without any real issues or feelings of begin deprived. Like you I am happy so far and have no regrets at this point and hope for all of us this remains the case.

Again thank you for sharing. Wishing you the best,.

Sounds like you are doing great. I hope I tolerate the foods to. I think that is what I am most scared about. Thank you for the reply.

Hi and welcome! Don't be afraid of food. Just take it very slow. Drink, eat and CHEW slow. I try new things at home and only take a small bit or two and see how it sits. Then later a few more. I usually know when things are not going to work. Good luck!!!

You'll find a lot of support and good advice here. The one place where others really understand what you are going through.....welcome!