Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Feb 9th, my journey

:) I am being banded on Feb 9th by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. I have read that he is one of the best in this industry. He has a book out called Lap Band For Life.

I am 37 year old mother of three. I am 5'4' and weight 265. This is getting ridiculous!!! I am really excited and a little bit nervous. I have tried to loose weight so many times and always fail. It is almost sureal to think that I have an opportunity to shed this weight once and for all!! It almost too hard to believe.

I've bought my broth and Jello for the post op diet. I haven't been doing so well on the pre op diet. I hope I don't get into much trouble over it. It's been really hard to diet knowing that you will be giving up so much after the surgery. It's all a mind game.

Three days away from surgery date!! Wish me luck. More later.

WELCOME! and Good luck..... there are many on here that used the same doctor with great success!

Have fun in mexio!

Do you know how to add a ticker? I created one but can't figure out how to cut and past.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

:) I am being banded on Feb 9th by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. I have read that he is one of the best in this industry. He has a book out called Lap Band For Life.

I am 37 year old mother of three. I am 5'4' and weight 265. This is getting ridiculous!!! I am really excited and a little bit nervous. I have tried to loose weight so many times and always fail. It is almost sureal to think that I have an opportunity to shed this weight once and for all!! It almost too hard to believe.

I've bought my broth and Jello for the post op diet. I haven't been doing so well on the pre op diet. I hope I don't get into much trouble over it. It's been really hard to diet knowing that you will be giving up so much after the surgery. It's all a mind game.

Three days away from surgery date!! Wish me luck. More later.

Hi and congratulations on your upcoming surgery! I am 1 week post-band and am feeling better. It was tough at first, mainly because of the gas pains( a heating pad and gasx really helped). I am not hungry at all as of yet. The surgery itself was fine. I am sure that you will do well. Keep us posted. All my best-Gigi:)

Thanks for all your support everyone!! This is a huge lifestyle change so support is crucial for success.

I hope that GAS doesn't give me too many problems but I've heard a lot of people say that it is definately a pain is the %$#@.:faint:

Three days and counting :clap2:

Well, tomorrow is the big day!! I am so excited and I just can't hide it....okay, let me calm down.

I'll let you all know how it goes in Mexico!

Hey congrats woman! And you're going to be just fine. Just make sure to get that fill doc when you come back and keep up on those fills! You're going to do wonderfully.

Puddin',

Tell me about your lower body lift. How long did it take you to recover? How much did it cost and where did you have it done?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Puddin',

Tell me about your lower body lift. How long did it take you to recover? How much did it cost and where did you have it done?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Hey Platinum, I have like a whole long thread about it here. But to make a long story short, I had it done about 4 weeks ago, so still recovering, but I was back at work within a week and a half. It cost me $8,500. And it's the 2nd best investment I've ever made (next to the band). I have before/after pics (though the swelling is still there. The doc thinks I'll lose another size in the next few weeks), and sort of a recount in my blog as well.

I'm 8 day post op now and all is going well. I have moved on to the full liquids and seem to get full from them. I get hungry in the evenings and cooking dinner for my family might have something to do with that. I blended up 1/2 can of low fat Ravioli and at that last night. It wasn't that bad but not great either. My favorite full liquid is the Peanut Butter chocolate Swirl Protein shake that I make. It is delicious. I make it with 1 cup of fat free milk and some ice plus a small spoonful of real Peanut Butter. I blend it all up into a delicious Protein Shake. I also like Campbell Soup At Hand (sip cup style) in Velvety Potato and Cream of Broccoli. They are very filling so sip slow. One day I could only drink 1/4 of the can and then maybe all of it on another day. It just depends. Sometimes I can't believe how few caloried I am taking in on this post op phase but I try to get 600 calories per day. I am working my way up to 800-1000 so that when I start solid foods, my body won't be shocked at the extra calories. I haven't weighed myself as I want to feel it in my clothes first. I also need to buy a new scale.

The weekends have always been my worst time for diets. So, this is the 2nd weekend that I have the band. Last weekend I had surgery so I don't know if that one really counts. This will be the first weekend I spend at home with the band. I know that I won't eat anything because I can't! I just wonder if I will feel tortured all weekend. I have three sons who can afford to eat pizza and other junk food because I really hate cooking on weekends. However, tonight I am making spaghetti and I plan to mix myself up some in the blender with whole wheat Pasta. Ummmm. I don't know if it will be any good but it's worth a try.

More later.

Hi Pamela- Welcome to bandland! Congratulations to you! You seem to be doing very well. I was banded on 1/30/07 and am doing well. I feel the same way about the weekends-they are so hard, but honestly since getting banded, I have not had any trouble. I eat what I am supposed to and I am satisfied. I am full and it is a good feeling. I didn't weigh myself until I went for my 2 week post-op appt. I was pleasantly surprised to have lost 24lbs-that's including the pre-op diet too. Good luck to you- so glad you are doing well-Gigi

Like I said before, the weekends were always my toughest time with eating healthy. I don't like to cook on the the weekends so we find ourselves at the drive thru's quite a bit. This was the 2nd weekend that I was banded. The first weekend with the band was my surgery weekend so that one doesn't really count.

I held up pretty well with the band this weekend. However, on Friday I think I over did it with liquid calories. I had two margaritas and a hot coco. Both drinks had too many calories. Saturday, I made up for it and drank a bunch of Water and stuck with my full liquid/mushy food diet. I did much better than if I did not have the band. That is certain.

The weather is getting warmer in Okc so I am feeling really up beat about the spring and summer. I am so glad that I have the band because I am so focused on loosing this weight!!!

More later.

I am so happy for you. You sound like you're doing great. I am having my procedure done on Friday. I am nervous, but when I see how well you and Gigi are doing I feel better. I also have 3 boys and a little girl, so the weekends are hard. I'm on my low carb liquid diet this week and have done really well. I've cheated a little, but I've still stayed in the carb guidelines so I'm losing weight quickly (of course, but who could maintain this kind of diet..lol).

I'm really happy and can't wait until I'm a few days out. How did you do the first few days with the kids. My husband will have to go back to work on Monday after my Friday surgery? How did you feel. My younger kids are 5 and 3, so I worry I won't beable to take care of them.

Congrats! Gretchen

I felt pretty good the day after my surgery. My youngest is 9 years old so it was a lot easier for me. You won't be able to pick your 3 year old up and you have to be careful so they don't accidently hit you in your stomach. Also, it hurts a little bit by the port site when you bend a certain way. I don't notice it much anymore but the first week you will notice that discomfort when you bend over to tie shoes or something similar. Other than that, you should be fine. The mental hunger will still be there when you cook dinner but you will be able to handle it. Just be mentally prepared for that struggle and have juice nearby to drink. I walk around with a Water bottle full of either Crystal Light or Propel flavored water. My husband even made a comment about how much I am drinking now. I just feel like it is my security blanket right now. When I feel hungry, I take some sips and I feel better. I only had to drink Clear Liquids for 3 days and then I moved on to full liquids like drinkable yogurt and Protein shakes. Your stomach will make a lot of noise the first week after surgery but it does settle down. I have those chicken broth boullion squares in my purse so that I can drop one into a cup of hot Water and have a little sip of something warm. I also drink sugar free hot cocoa in the morning or whenever when I feel deprived. The hardest thing at first is smelling food knowing that you can't take a bite. It does get easier with time and soon I will be able to eat solid foods.

The band does not restrict against liquids so you will feel some hunger even after you drink something. Once you start eating solid foods, you should feel fuller longer. I am still in my liquid/mushy food phase. I will say that I blended up some spaghetti with extra sauce and it was pretty good. You will get creative with foods in that healing phase. NO chewing as the band is still healing.

Good luck to you.