Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Irritated When Other People Eat

I am only 4 days post op and I am getting really irritated when others eat around me. I think to myself, "Eating again?" Pre surgery I would have been right there with them. Anyone else experience this?

Yes I did! It was rough at first and I shed some tears. I thought to myself what could I do to keep my mind off what they're eating. Ironically, at meal time I'd have my Protein Shake and search out high Protein recipes and write them out. My husband said does that not make it harder writing about food! No it didn't! It was a stress reliever. It helped me to study out my new way of life and I enjoyed it! Also I prayed for strength! It is what it is and food is a big part of our society, so instead of leaning on food I learned to lean on Jesus and found so much strength! Good luck to you and you can make it through this!!! This surgery was a God send and one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'm 14 months out and down 110 lbs. I'd do it all over again! I hope this helps you! Good luck and hang in there! You've got this!!! :)

On the pre op diet or just trying to eat healthy in general, i get irratated by the "THINGS" people eat. Especially when they think they are eating healthy or talk like they should be or intend to. That grates on me bad. If they were just eating a well balanced meal and not pigging out or eating crap it wouldn't bother me so bad. I try to ignore it for the most part.

It's so weird now. I'm not so much irritated by them eating as missing the activity. As we were coming home from the hospital last night I kept thinking hubby and I should go to iHOP. We both had long stressful days. WTH? I wasn't hungry nor did I want it but that's what we "did" do. This is best for both of us. Except he's living on Chinese food right now (ugh). Lol

The hubby and I went to the mall last night, not necessarily to shop, as most of my shopping has been done, but more to walk and get out of the house. Well my 21m old daughter was with us, and she got hungry, but refused the Snacks I brought for her. So we stopped at the food court. Hubby got Chinese, my all time FAVORITE!!! BUT!!!! I ordered a bowl of egg drop Soup and though it was a gazillion degrees, it gave me the inclusion with my husband and daughter I needed, without the calories or tears. :-) I know it wont always be this great, but if I could control myself and not eat like a football linebacker, then I wouldnt have needed to alter my anatomy. I am 10 days out and have lost 15lbs.

This is a very super normal reaction! It's going to be that way a little while and then you will realize you can't even tolerate or want to eat that stuff. So the anger will go away. :)

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Thanks everyone!

It does get better! Those first 6 weeks are tough! I felt so out of place bringing a Protein Shake to a pizza party, but just keep focused on your goal. I've found that there are choices when going out to eat, I just need to be creative. I would get upset too when my mom or husband were eating ice cream or BBQ, until I stopped and thought about how I would eat those things in excess and it was killing me!